PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Head Gasket

gojk
07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I have just replaced the cylinder, piston, and head on my R. New wiseco top end kit with gaskets and all. Now the problem....

It seems that the head gasket started leaking today, but it doesn't appear to be leaking into the cylinder just seaping outside of the cylinder. Has anyone ever saw this before, should I just retorq the head bolts? It is the fiber material type of gasket.

One other thing, I noticed the holes in the head gasket didn't match the holes in the cylinder and head. It had a few of the holes that matched, but most were just about a 1/4" hole through the gasket. Is that normal?

aztecgwynn
07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Spend the money and stick with OEM gaskets that has happened to me before with aftermarket gaskets.

C-LEIGH RACING
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Those small holes in the gasket are suppost to be like that so the coolant flow will be more around the exhaust than on the intake side. Be sure you have installed it the right way with the small holes to the intake.

If your not sure the heads, gasket surface is flat or not & dont want to bother with getting it machined, you could get a tube of Three Bond #1211 sealant, smear on a good coat of that & torque it down. If you do use the sealant, allow at least a night or days time for the sealant to cure out before adding any coolant or running the engine.
Neil