PDA

View Full Version : Got any ideas?

rid3r3d33
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone. I am thinking about putting some aftermarket parts on my 2007 400ex. It is all stock now except the grips (aren't on in this picture) and am trying to fin things to put on it. I am getting a slip-on exhaust either a Two Brothers or a FMF. I would jet it but since my dad bought me the 400, he said i could just get the pipe so thats why im not jetting it. Anyways, does anyone have any other choices for good slip-on pipes? Also I am soon getting a front bumper and new grab bar, got any ideas? I want a set of nerf bars, but since there expensive and i'm low on income haha, does anyone know of a cheap, good quality set of nerf bars? If you have any ideas for anything just reply. Any help or input you have is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. All the pictures i have of my 400 are too big to upload.

07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
if you are putting an exhaust on it, it will need rejetted. and i would also suggest a better air filter than stock, to get better gains for the exhaust. a k&n will flow more air than an uni or twin air, but it will also allow more dirt through. an exhaust should not be put on without a more free flowing filter...AND rejetting!

depending on what type of riding you do, i would get skid plates before anything else, exhaust/filter/jetting included, unless you plan on racing motorcross.

i know you are on a budget, but this is the way any ride should be modified

1-protection for the bike an yourself...skids, nothing less than .250 for the swing arm. chassis can be any thickness, a-arm guards-your choice...you mx gear, HELMET, BOOTS, chest protector...a bumper is in there too, but towards the bottom of the list

2-suspension...any shocks are better than the fronts...even 450r...which are even better if they have been revalved and re-srpung. the rear is the most important though...it needs a different link(gt thunder) with a revalve. some kind of stabilizer even a non-rebuildable stick is better than nothing...you can go faster on stock exhaust and motor if you/ the bike can handle the power better...a-arms and swingarm are also included here

3-controls-find the best bar bend for you, this category also includes a good gripper seat cover as well as levers that feel the best to you...stainless braided brake line..makes a huge difference

4-performance-here is where you go for exhaust/filter/jetting as well as any other motor mods that can be done. i won't get too specific. do what you need/ want/can afford

5-make it look "purty"...this is all personal preference here

my view on tires is that there are better tires than stock out there, but i usually don't change them until i need to...

07-09-2008, 03:53 PM
speedyquad I agree 100% protect yourself and your investment 1st, make it handle well and feel comfortable, make it faster, make it look good with little things and such. Perfect order and all. In reality most do performance 1st and suspension last lol

07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
i did the performance thing first...i always did the exhaust thing first and always thought that the stock suspension was good enough...then i had a chance to ride on an aftermarket suspension...as well as ride with him for an afternoon. we were equal riders i was on stock suspension... he was on aftermarket...he pulled away from me in the rough stuff or was eating my grab bar, i just couldn't keep control like he did

Duke Nukem
07-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Just to show how important suspension is, when my 400 was stock my lap times on this one track were 12 to high 11 minutes. After I put those TRX450R fronts on, low 10 to high 9 minutes. What a difference!

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
the rear is the most important though...it needs a different link(gt thunder) with a revalve.

How is this?

The rear shock on the 400ex is actually fairly good. You just need to set it up properly.

I used to think the only way to fix my buck is to get the link with a revalve.

Well, i played with my settings, and now I jump all the time and smack obstacles. Never had a problem with it bucking me or anything. Rides real good.

But i agree on the fronts. those damn pogo sticks suck on decent sized jumps..:eek:

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
What kinda riding are you doing, rid3r3d33?

If you do mainly trails, I think the stock shocks are fine. They are great trail shocks, just when you start to jump or ride tracks, they;re miserable.

07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
What kinda riding are you doing, rid3r3d33?

If you do mainly trails, I think the stock shocks are fine. They are great trail shocks, just when you start to jump or ride tracks, they;re miserable.

ride the trails on aftermarket and then tell me if the stockers are good enough...

it may be that you think it is good enough because you have not ridden with the link. i tried everything to get rid of the buck on the rear shock...i had just about every combination of all the adjustments that i could get...my test was a trail that is uphill with about 6 erosion break hills for jumps...one jump on it was horrible for bucking off of the face...no matter what i did...i had to be real cautious with speed, gearing, throttle, etc going off of that jump. after i did the link and re-valve, i can hit it a gear or even 2 higher, keeping constant throttle, instead of rolling up the face and gunning AFTER the front wheels left the ground. the exact same can be said for the 450r i had.

nothing eliminated it like the link and re-valve...period

maybe c&d's way of re-valving without the link would work...but i have the link now and am happy with that

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
ride the trails on aftermarket and then tell me if the stockers are good enough...

it may be that you think it is good enough because you have not ridden with the link. i tried everything to get rid of the buck on the rear shock...i had just about every combination of all the adjustments that i could get...my test was a trail that is uphill with about 6 erosion break hills for jumps...one jump on it was horrible for bucking off of the face...no matter what i did...i had to be real cautious with speed, gearing, throttle, etc going off of that jump. after i did the link and re-valve, i can hit it a gear or even 2 higher, keeping constant throttle, instead of rolling up the face and gunning AFTER the front wheels left the ground. the exact same can be said for the 450r i had.

nothing eliminated it like the link and re-valve...period

maybe c&d's way of re-valving without the link would work...but i have the link now and am happy with that

well than maybe yours came out of the factory messed up. Mine used to buck, but I adjusted my shock and stand up slightly towards the back and jump everything. Never have a problem with it.

07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
well than maybe yours came out of the factory messed up. Mine used to buck, but I adjusted my shock and stand up slightly towards the back and jump everything. Never have a problem with it.

somehow i doubt that...given the right circumstance, the rear end will buck on you...it even still does it with the linkage...but it is a lot less frequent...almost never, but it still happens...

you must just be lucky then

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
somehow i doubt that...given the right circumstance, the rear end will buck on you...it even still does it with the linkage...but it is a lot less frequent...almost never, but it still happens...

It could also possibly be how I position myself and my weight being in a certain area. All I know is ever since ive adjusted it, ive been a lot more daring with jumps.

Ill try to get a vid of this one. It's awesome. Maybe about 2.5 foot of air, but you hit it in fourth, and its going up hill. You literally fly up the side of it:devil: its so much fun

07-09-2008, 07:48 PM
psh stock shocks on trails is terrible lol I raced a LTR once on a main trail I thought I was riding a bull going that fast through the trails, I beat him and it was fun but man I had that feeling a few times in my gut like whoa I almost ate dirt there. I have my shocks adjusted as best as I can right now and they are pretty good especially with the 450r fronts but even so agressive riding sucks on stock shocks. I ride even my brothers with just the Works remote rezzie preload adjustable rear shock and its a world of a difference. We both always though how much better can aftermarket be until he got that shock and let me tell you its a jaw dropper how well it performs having not ridden anything else beside stock suspension. Its truley amazing. My quad is faster than my brothers and I have better front shocks and both my 450r fronts and 400ex rear are setup as best as I can and he can pull away over the whoops because he can actually gain mors peed and keep the rear end on the ground but when the front touches man lookout! lol

Duke Nukem
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM

How much you weigh by the way? Cause I'm 240 and I can hold the throttle wide open over whoops without it bottoming or kicking.

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Duke Nukem
How much you weigh by the way? Cause I'm 240 and I can hold the throttle wide open over whoops without it bottoming or kicking.

same here but im 6' 220lbs

07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
that could be the difference...i weigh 152...

01exrider 281
07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
speedyquad ur sig is funny, sorry to make a post like this but i had to. i dont get why ppl put such long things in their sig either. sorry agian.