PDA

View Full Version : which sprocket combo?

mrbigzmotoxer
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I have an 05 450r w/ 13:1 comp piston, baldwin cam, race fuel.

right now i have a 13 t front and a 38 rear. I cant get off the line at all. I get ten feet off the line and then other bikes pull away. The power is great everywhere else on the track?

will a 14t front help this? anyideas? thanks

BadinBlack
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
go up a tooth in the rear so it will launch harder.

MAD450r
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
What size tires you running and what gear you launching in. I run 15/38 right now with 18 inch razr mx's. I launch second gear go maybe 10 feet then hit third and hold out till just before it hits the limiter and bang fourth if the track permits that. Practice that I run and 04 with stock piston hrc cam and sparks pipe and noone has beatin me off the line yet in our bunch. the closest is a highly build canondale stroker. He's got alot in that ticking timebomb :( Its very fast on top but its also pulls hard off the bottom for a dale. He has 5 i've ridden and few and that is the only one I dont consider to be mild power delivery.

mrbigzmotoxer
07-10-2008, 06:40 AM
do yuo have enought up top for wide open mx tracks with a 15 tooth?

MAD450r
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
My HRC cam pulls to the limiter even with the 15. I only weigh in at 140 in full gear though. I let my 300+ lb friend ride it and he says it pulls harder than his fully built yoshi ltr450

jkiserracing
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
The stock 14 tooth on mine was too tall in my opinion. I bogged and had to feather the cluch on almost every start. (starting in 2nd) I went down to a 13 tooth up front to fix that problem..and it did. However I can relate to you on the other quads pulling away a bit just after the start..that has happened to me too. I beleive I will try out a 37 on the rear (from the stock 38) and see how that works. I also run 18" tires....

MAD450r
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
With stock cam I agree 100% but with my hrc cam I can pull off the line with no bog at all. I do have to wind it up good. Not sit on the limiter like some do.

Im thinking of trying a 37 in the rear too to get it back to about the same top speed as it was stock. I know I almost never hit the roads but sometimes when riding powerlines we end up doing some road runs.

Modifly
07-11-2008, 05:59 AM
I run 14/38 with 18's.

engine mods consist of High Comp piston 13:1, HRC cam, exhaust and thats about it.

i feather the clutch and as soon the pin moves that thing has that much torque it pulls all the way up to the holeshot.

Im keeping with CRF egnitions and heavily modified engines and most of the time beating them. I persoanlly think its down to my kendaw claws on the rear. those things are incredable for hooking up on the start and anyone whos tried them will agree with me!

:)