PDA

View Full Version : Newb question here so go easy on me

jrsmith_80
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I was going over the bike this evening and ther seems to be alot of play between the rear axle and the hub. I know I can tighten down the nut but it just doesnt feel quite right. Is there supposed to be a fair amount of movement between the axle and the hub or do I just tighten the crap out of the alxe nut?

Gibson
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
you tighten the crap out of it...as tight as you can get it, then put the cotter pin back in it

Hondamaster5505
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds like the splines in your hub might be a little worn, causing some extra space thus making it move.

I doubt it's the axle. Usually the hubs are softer metal and get stripped easier.

Also, how did you tighten your axle nuts? I use an air wrench, and most other people would advise to also. I got back from a ride the other day and noticed my tires moved around a little on the axle, and the nuts were somewhat loose. So I pulled the cotter pins, took an air wrench, tightened them up, and put new cotter pins in and now there is no more movement in the tires. They're nice and tight on the axle.

jrsmith_80
07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Well I just got the bike and so far it has been a huge pile of crap. I have not tightend them down at all but I do have a impact wrench and will probably get new nuts and just tighten the crap out of them. It just has to last until the winter and then I am gonna rebuild the whole bike.

Hondamaster5505
07-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jrsmith_80
Well I just got the bike and so far it has been a huge pile of crap. I have not tightend them down at all but I do have a impact wrench and will probably get new nuts and just tighten the crap out of them. It just has to last until the winter and then I am gonna rebuild the whole bike.

They should always be tightened down real hard. It's probably all fine, just take an impact to it and put some new cotter pins in. I had the same thing on mine

jrsmith_80
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
OK I will do that, thanks for the help.