PDA

View Full Version : new problem>?

ktMan
07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
hard to explain but here i go. after that muddy weekend i had a few weeks ago ive had some problems with steering and now throttle/carb issues. i thought i had it all sorted out but i was wrong. went riding tonight with my cousin and as soon as i got on the trail the throttle was acting up. if you were hard on the gas and let off, the engine would drop in rpm but keep a higher then regular rpm, almost as though throttle was sticking. i lubed the throttle cable before and air filter is spotless also. im concerned if the cable is wrecked. it looks like it might be broken where the throttle adjustment is at the bars. then the bike was a pain to start, after getting it running i was making my way home and i stopped at a stop sign and it shut down. Would not start. towed it for awhile and tried bump starting it but nothing. Finally it fired up after many attempts. so after this the throttle is all messed up, revving on its on without hitting the gas and while riding it was keeping high rpm and if i stopped it would stall. to bad my 30 day warranty was up 3 months ago on my 525

aboveall1
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Make sure you check the TPS on the top left side of the carb. I had a very similar issue and tried everything, turned out the TPS moved a little bit. It just takes a "hair" of movement and I have heard lots of the same issue on others 450's and 525's.
They mark it with blue paint, if you loosen the +screw a little you can adjust it. I put blue locktite and it hasnt moved since, but I still check it often. Good luck!

ktMan
07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
well i got home from work tonight and started to work on it and some what narrowed it down. its all to do with the throttle cable and the tps at the throttle. to me it seems like the throttle cable is not being pulled all the way back in when letting off the throttle, causing the high rpm. but im not to sure. so we played with the free play on the throttle and lubed it up again and set the idle ( id be messing with it). weak spring already in the carb possible? i checked the throttle cable, its not binding anywhere. any input is much helpful before it goes to the stealership to get worked on.

aboveall1
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I had a very similar issue and tried everything, turned out the TPS moved a little bit. It just takes a "hair" of movement !!
Trust me try this first! Mine would not idle right at all, until I checked and adjusted the "Throttle Position Sensor"!

ktMan
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
i had the cover off of the throttle and watched the cable not retract all the way in, and was able to move it by hand to cure the problem. i looked at the tps and it seemed fine. and i think there is something wrong with the cable cause if u grab the covered part and wiggle it the rpm increase and decreases. but what part of the tps moves?

ktMan
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
had the tank off tonight and looked at the tps sensor and everything was tight and all the paint markings lined up perfect. thanks for the suggestion, but i think tomorrow night it goes to the dealer. its beyond my mechanical skill now.

quadfam4
07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Well -- what happened?

ktMan
07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
well the dealer could not find anything wrong with it. they think that due to the hot hot weather and the factory lean jetting it was causing the problem. so they changed the jetting for me and i just got it back friday and have only rode it a little bit, and it seems fine. but even before the problem occured half way through a ride. see what happens after this weekend when i get it out for a good ride.