PDA

View Full Version : thinking about painting my truck

400exrider_88
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
anyone done a paint job to a vehicle involving race stripes? dont know if i want to keep the original paint on the truck and add race stripes or repaint it black or silver with the opposite color stripe. right now the truck is two-tone gray andgreen/blue.

dirtbike&quad
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
it depends..how old is the paint thats on the truck already? if you put stripes on it, and the old paint is dull, it could come out real bad. i doubt your painting it yourself so check with the local auto body dealer and see what they think

400exrider_88
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
its a 97 truck, original paint.
i saw a truck today that belongs to a kid i know, has a really cool orange paint job with black race stripes. it also has a painted tonneau cover and aftermarket bumpers. only difference between our trucks is mines a gmc and his is a chevy.
i have a feeling i'll need to paint the whole truck to make it look good. i want to get rid of the two tone.
dont have much money so i want to do this myself, but all ive painted is a backhoe for my uncle. anyone know anyway i could figure a cost for this? professonally done/ paint?

pro-rider46
07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
well, for OMNI paint, which is pretty good quality stuff, and pretty cheap. 500+ for paint. 100+- for repair material, including sandpaper. well, paper, and masking tape is probably around 100 or more. then you may need some sheet metal for badly rusted areas, and if you can weld them in.

elmer91
07-09-2008, 08:36 PM
what make and model is it? and if i still had photoshop i would chop a pic for you, but unfortunately i dont have it anymore.

400exrider_88
07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
its a 97 (classic style) gmc sierra 1500 ext cab short bed. i dunno whaT im gonna do, i want to paint it and think i could do it, but am still afraid to. maybe just some race stripes, what do i do for putting race stripes on top of oem paint? any suggestions for removing small dent from the tailgate?

dirtbike&quad
07-10-2008, 08:19 AM
hopefully joshie chimes in, but a good paintjob is going to be atleast $3000, atleast. i know my paintjob would be up my *** and around the corner, more towards $10000

pro-rider46
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
hopefully joshie chimes in, but a good paintjob is going to be atleast $3000, atleast. i know my paintjob would be up my *** and around the corner, more towards $10000

haha. it would not cost that much, maybe 3000 is somebody does it for you.

tman12345
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
haha. it would not cost that much, maybe 3000 is somebody does it for you.
thats the point, if a pro does its going to be in the thousands, but you could do it yourself for in the hundreds

Mxjunkie
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
well, for OMNI paint, which is pretty good quality stuff, and pretty cheap. 500+ for paint. 100+- for repair material, including sandpaper. well, paper, and masking tape is probably around 100 or more. then you may need some sheet metal for badly rusted areas, and if you can weld them in.

OMNI is junk if you ask me.. it's cheaper then the PPG concept single stage but by the time you spray the omni you'll need to go buy another quart to finish the truck because you'll run out.. OMNI is like spraying water in a gun.. Just invest in the concept. The concept is overall a better product by PPG in the long run, as long as you take care of it and wax it every 3-6 months it wont fade or blister due to sun and uv damage. As far as materials go, Masking tape is the least of your worries as far as material cost, paint and reducers are the biggest sum of any job anymore, to cut some corners you can get away with using newspaper instead of the traditional painters paper that they sell in the stores.

And for base prices on overall paint jobs it's usually 1000 for a basic paint job, 1500-2000 for dents, dings fixed and 3000 and above is for a flawless paint job. It's hard to pinpoint base prices because it really depends on the shape of your paint on the car now and how crazy you want to get with it. Another given factor in price is if you want single stage or two stage paint on your car.. The single stage is cheaper because it has a glossy finish once applied and dried where as the two stage requires a clear coat after you apply the base.

10,000? what are you eating dog food? Maybe if someone took a hammer to the whole truck. That orange is expensive though all kidding aside.. :blah:

Mxjunkie
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88
anyone done a paint job to a vehicle involving race stripes? dont know if i want to keep the original paint on the truck and add race stripes or repaint it black or silver with the opposite color stripe. right now the truck is two-tone gray andgreen/blue.

If your just putting the stripes on the hood you can wet sand the hood with 1,000 grit 3m paper and tape your your racing stripes, spray a base coat of the color you would like then clear the entire hood. I'd suggest atleast applying 3-4 coats to help get rid of any nail breaking lines you may of made when you tape the racing stripes though..

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I dont mind helping. :D

dirtbike&quad
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie

10,000? what are you eating dog food? Maybe if someone took a hammer to the whole truck. That orange is expensive though all kidding aside.. :blah:

haha i was told to just repaint my two doors (got keyed and i was thinking about getting it replaced), that it would cost $2000 for just 2 doors. i have 2 other doors to paint, plus the hood, front quater panels and the whole bed. i figured $10,000 was a good estimate. what did you think? jw

Mxjunkie
07-10-2008, 07:02 PM
haha i was told to just repaint my two doors (got keyed and i was thinking about getting it replaced), that it would cost $2000 for just 2 doors. i have 2 other doors to paint, plus the hood, front quater panels and the whole bed. i figured $10,000 was a good estimate. what did you think? jw

Wow! 2,000 dollars is outrageous!! That would probably cost around 350-400 dollars at my shop once you put in the cost of paint, materials and the cost of covering and taping the truck! Tell that Body Shop I'll work for them though, I wouldn't mind getting in on that extra 1500 dollars good god haha! :blah:

Very little work would be needed to do that job too I'd say I could have it prepped and have the scratches feathered, primed and ready to shoot by lunch time, shoot it in the after noon and it'd be ready to pick up that next day. I don't understand how some of these jobs stay in business without the insurance company's.. There prices make my jaw drop at times.. I've seen some shops paint the entire side of a car because the paint didn't match and the customer was shocked when the bill came. I guess they need to be more specific when the estimate says blending.. :o

pro-rider46
07-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
OMNI is junk if you ask me..

Well, i know omni isnt the best, but i figured if he didnt mind wet sanding and buffing, it would turn out pretty good, pretty cheaply. And it being like water, your right, its almost impossible to not run OMNI clear. its really thin.

But IMO you cant get better than PPG... i used it on my frame:cool:

Kickstarts-suck
07-11-2008, 02:07 AM
I have the same hedge trimmer....^^^

Mxjunkie
07-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Well, i know omni isnt the best, but i figured if he didnt mind wet sanding and buffing, it would turn out pretty good, pretty cheaply. And it being like water, your right, its almost impossible to not run OMNI clear. its really thin.

But IMO you cant get better than PPG... i used it on my frame:cool:

Oh yeah no doubt that it works but the cost factor of it is PPG's trick lol.. People think they are paying less then they have to buy more.. :o

I'm a DBC, DBU guy.. The colors are better and if you can get the mixture right on the clear it'll last forever.. :cool: