PDA

View Full Version : Is a 14T front sprocket right for me??

TORO1968
12-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Hey guys,

Before you say it, I DID use the search function! :)

I was wondering if I should go ahead and get a 14 tooth front sprocket for my bone stock '02 400ex. How much top speed do you think I would lose, and is it really noticeable? Does anyone know the true top speed of a completely stock 400ex and one with a 14T front sprocket?

I don't ride really hard or fast most of the time, and sometimes I find myself having to shift down into first gear on trails, which I hate doing...I figure a 14T front sprocket would allow me to use 2nd gear more effectively on the trails, but will I need to climb hills in 3rd now or will 2nd still be okay to use??

If you're wondering what terrain I usually ride, I ride at the Badlands in Attica, IN, so its mainly trails and gravel pit style riding.

Also, how hard is it to adjust the tension on the chain if I decide to put a 14T sprocket on, and do I need any special tools?

Thanks,

Jordan

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 03:41 PM
The 14 tooth was a welcome addition when I initially installed it. I do mostly trail riding and found that the 15 tooth was a bit much for hill climbing and such. The 14 tooth made riding the trails ALOT easier with the newfound grunt in the lower gears, however, the 14 tooth does take away a considerable amount of top end (5mph?) it seems but the acceleration is a bit better. Its a toss up really, whatever your riding stlye is... Personally, I'm going back to the 15 tooth because I'm installing a X-6 pipe tomorrow and I want all my top speed back to battle with the locals. I'm going to miss the extra umph in the lower gears but I'll enjoy the top speed again! Good luck.

2fastandfurious
12-03-2002, 03:56 PM
I have a 92 250x. A 13 tooth in stock. I just bought a 12 and 14. I am going to move up to 15 if i need it. There 6 bucks a peice to start off. Buy some and play aroudn with them and then sell the ones you dont want in the for sale section.

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 04:26 PM
2 Fast: I can tell you from experience that unless you're going to the Bonneville Salt Flats with that thing you won't be needing to go up 2 teeth in the front!

2fastandfurious
12-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Funny you mention that. I am planning on "duneing" with it. Buying a tire kit for 700.00 and going on the road for a few weeks this winter. I bought the 15 for experimentation only. Planning on running GPS speeds for all the gears and top speed and then posting them here. It will be cool for everyone to know. Helpfull for other people and me that are 250x'rs
-Ben
I have heard that you can do some wicked whellies with 12's and 11's. I can find any 11's though. I am going to have one made by a firend for almost nothing. I've started to get really into them. Can you tell? I'll let you all know in a few weeks.........

jchevy
12-03-2002, 08:05 PM
If your going duning i would leave it stock or even go down a tooth in the front. There is a lot of hill climbing and no top speed runs while your duning. I don think i have ever hit 5th gear in the dunes.

2fastandfurious
12-03-2002, 08:32 PM
I'll keep that in mind man. Thanks!
-Ben