PDA

View Full Version : Timing

dheavychevy38
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes i have searched and i lent my manual to a friend who lost it:grr: I pulled my head to retap all the holes and change the head gasket but now i need to know how to retime it? I have the motor at top dead center and the cam is a hot cam that the po put in so i have no clue Thanks Denny

rideracelivemx7
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
doing the timing is easy. get your piston to top dead center. and look in the small inspection hole in the stator cover. take off the big cover to use a ratchet to move the crank easily. if you look in the cover there will be tick mark on the fly wheel. its a vertical line and a horizontal T right next to it. that will mean its on tdc when you line that T up with the mark thats on the inspection hole. now look at your cam. the lobes will be pointing up. 12 oclock position. now put the cam sprocket onand the chain. look at the sproket dead on so your eye level with it. there will be 3 lines on the sproket on the out side of it. there about half inch each. you can miss them. 1 will be pioint up and the other 2 will be parrallell with the block. before you put on the chain tentioner. stick your finger to put up against the plastic guide and when you do this the lines will truely be alined straight. be fore this. theres a little slack in the cahin so it wil lhave one line dip down a little bit. i wish i took pictures to show you but i finished my bike a few weeks ago and dont want to break it down again. lol if thats not clear pm me and ill give you a detailed description. good luck