PDA

View Full Version : Can we sue environmentalists??

Evan
12-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Look at this crapp

WASHINGTON (AP) - Four environmental groups sued the Bush administration Tuesday to block changes that would allow more people to ride snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, asks a federal judge to block a recent Interior Department decision that would undo a Clinton administration ban on snowmobiles in the popular Western parks by next winter.

The environmental groups want the judge to keep the Clinton rule in place. That would mean snowmobile use would be sharply limited this winter and banned outright next year.

The Interior Department would not limit snowmobiles this winter under the proposal released last month. Starting next winter, however, it would allow no more than 1,100 snowmobiles a day in the parks and a portion of the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway connecting them.

The parks have had an average of 840 snowmobiles daily during the winter but up to 1,650 a day during holiday and other busy weekends for the past decade, meaning the new rules would allow more snowmobiles in the parks on average while cutting numbers on the busiest days.

The current proposal is set to be completed next spring. That leaves open the chance the final rules will be less restrictive than what's currently on the table, said Howard Crystal, a lawyer for the environmental groups.

"There's nothing to prevent them from saying, 'You know what? We've decided there's going to be no limits, ever,'" Crystal said.

Although it could change, National Park Service regional spokesman Rick Frost said he expects the final rule will be "very much like" the current proposal.

Frost said National Park Service officials had not seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment on it.

The case was filed by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, the Fund for Animals, the Bluewater Network and the Ecology Center.

The groups argue that snowmobiles pollute the park, create unacceptable noise and endanger the health of Yellowstone workers stationed at park entrances.

"These problems have been so severe that Yellowstone now supplies fresh oxygen to employees working near snowmobiles, and this winter these workers will be fitted with special devices to protect against hearing loss," the lawsuit said.

The groups also contend that the machines harass and hurt wildlife. More than 200 bison, for example, were killed last year after they followed groomed snowmobile trails out of the park and into Montana or Wyoming, the lawsuit said.

Yellowstone and Grand Teton are in northwestern Wyoming. Yellowstone also extends into Idaho and Montana, from where most snowmobilers enter the park.

An environmental-impact study of the current proposal is due in February, with the final rules to be set in March.

Frost said the plan was based on advances in snowmobile engines that make them quieter and less polluting, while taking into account environmental concerns.

Pollution and the effect on wildlife would be monitored and the caps could be adjusted to "allow us to protect the resource as well as accommodate some limited snowmobile use," he said.

"It was a balanced approach to the issue of snowmobile use in the parks," he said.

and this http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/1202/02atv.html

12-03-2002, 03:23 PM
some of the crap thjese people whine about is hilarious....i dont even wanna talk about it, this is ridiculous as well

A WORD FROM
SKIN INDUSTRIES

November 20, 2002
For those unfamiliar with our company, Skin Industries (“Skin”) sells casual wear, motocross gear, and related graphics. In September of this year, a school administrator at Granite Hills High School decided to ban Skin merchandise from the school. We at Skin were surprised to hear of a ban on our merchandise and attempted to work with the school administration in an effort to resolve the issues raised.

In response to our efforts to resolve a potential dispute, we were advised of various reasons for the ban on Skin merchandise. These reasons ranged anywhere from an assertion that our merchandise “promotes lesbianism” to a belief that our merchandise is profane or obscene. In truth, Skin’s merchandise is neither profane nor obscene and, although Skin promotes freestyle motocross, skateboarding and BMX, Skin takes no stand on social issues. Quite simply, Skin is in the business of promoting the enjoyable pursuit of athletic activity and not in the business of promoting any particular lifestyle or social cause.

For many years, Skin merchandise has been worn by students throughout the United States and in at least seventeen foreign countries. We are aware of no instance when any student anywhere on earth was distracted from scholarly pursuits because of the presence of Skin merchandise in a classroom. In fact, in light of the numerous supportive phone calls and e-mails we have received from both students and parents, it seems that no one at Granite Hills High School has been distracted from educational pursuits by virtue of the presence of Skin merchandise.

In a letter to parents dated November 14, 2002, Granite Hills High School states that Skin had promised free merchandise to students who receive a “referral” for wearing a Skin shirt to school. This statement is false and Skin will be seeking a formal retraction from Granite Hills High School in the course of legal proceedings. We at Skin believe in the importance of education and we have no desire to interfere with the students’ focus on their classroom activities. We do not and will not encourage any student to seek out any form of disciplinary action that would interfere with their education.

We fully support all those striving to educate the students of Granite Hills High School. However, we believe the best education requires respect for the American right to comment freely on matters of public concern and challenge what students perceive to be the arbitrary and capricious exercise of power by school officials.

We thank you for your support.

man i love skin i get all kinda stuff from them

Ride400
12-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
some of the crap thjese people whine about is hilarious....i dont even wanna talk about it, this is ridiculous as well

A WORD FROM
SKIN INDUSTRIES

November 20, 2002
For those unfamiliar with our company, Skin Industries (“Skin”) sells casual wear, motocross gear, and related graphics. In September of this year, a school administrator at Granite Hills High School decided to ban Skin merchandise from the school. We at Skin were surprised to hear of a ban on our merchandise and attempted to work with the school administration in an effort to resolve the issues raised.

In response to our efforts to resolve a potential dispute, we were advised of various reasons for the ban on Skin merchandise. These reasons ranged anywhere from an assertion that our merchandise “promotes lesbianism” to a belief that our merchandise is profane or obscene. In truth, Skin’s merchandise is neither profane nor obscene and, although Skin promotes freestyle motocross, skateboarding and BMX, Skin takes no stand on social issues. Quite simply, Skin is in the business of promoting the enjoyable pursuit of athletic activity and not in the business of promoting any particular lifestyle or social cause.

For many years, Skin merchandise has been worn by students throughout the United States and in at least seventeen foreign countries. We are aware of no instance when any student anywhere on earth was distracted from scholarly pursuits because of the presence of Skin merchandise in a classroom. In fact, in light of the numerous supportive phone calls and e-mails we have received from both students and parents, it seems that no one at Granite Hills High School has been distracted from educational pursuits by virtue of the presence of Skin merchandise.

In a letter to parents dated November 14, 2002, Granite Hills High School states that Skin had promised free merchandise to students who receive a “referral” for wearing a Skin shirt to school. This statement is false and Skin will be seeking a formal retraction from Granite Hills High School in the course of legal proceedings. We at Skin believe in the importance of education and we have no desire to interfere with the students’ focus on their classroom activities. We do not and will not encourage any student to seek out any form of disciplinary action that would interfere with their education.

We fully support all those striving to educate the students of Granite Hills High School. However, we believe the best education requires respect for the American right to comment freely on matters of public concern and challenge what students perceive to be the arbitrary and capricious exercise of power by school officials.

We thank you for your support.

man i love skin i get all kinda stuff from them

its like theyll do anything to kill the sport, now they are just beings dicks, banning skin products from the school?? thats just pointless

motochris
12-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Hey X-Rider,

I live in Wyoming where they are trying to ban snowmachines in Yellowstone and the Teton parks... It really sucks big time... I dont know why these dam people cant mind there own business... We have millions of acres of land here and we cant even be on most of it... Well im not going to raddle on about this cause all it does is piss me off and i end up fighting with my neighbor cause she is a tree hugger,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:grr

Bean
12-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Granite City is by us, in same state, sometimes i feel as if i live in the worlds stupidest state, lets ban ear rings because they promote devil warshiping, oooo, that flag promotes patarisiom, get rid a it, them busses are yeller, that offends mexicans

Atreyu
12-03-2002, 03:44 PM
they are whiney fags..they are just making people hate them..i hate hippies! i also hate the school board members! they say we cannot wera hats anymore in school because it symbolizes gangs

Rastus
12-03-2002, 03:58 PM
That whole school thing about Skin stuff, that could mean that they're limiting their freedoms.

Think about it...first you won't be able to wear some companies shirts, just because some person doesn't like it.

If I was going at that High School, I'd definately be starting some protests,and i'm sure most of the students would catch on that they're be limited on what they can wear.

Sorry, just had to rant a lil about how somepeople are so stupid..:rolleyes: