PDA

View Full Version : 1999 valves hitting piston (smoking)

civic06
07-08-2008, 03:29 PM
My 426 started smoking and I brought it to a buddy that has been working on bikes since he was young well he checked my rings and replaced the valve seals and put a new head on for me well after i pick it up it ran fine until the first oil change and now its smoking it ***** off it is spilting oil out of the exhaust really really bad. So i called him and he said that the intake valves were bent a lil bit and that they are hitting the piston so i would need to get new valves and a new piston? does this sound right? I need help i am tired of working on the same problem...........:mad:

AZ440ex
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
What kind of piston? Did you mill the head?

drew416ex
07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Your valves shouldnt hit unless you have a huge cam and piston, or its out of timing, etc. If it was smoking a good bit when he replaced the rings, chances are you needed it bored out. The new rings had a little more than the old ones so it stopped the smoking for a little while, but once they wore in there is too much clearance. Valves hitting the piston dont have anything to do with smoking, plus you would know it because it would be makeing a loud knocking noise.

Claas900
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
valve steam seals are common when you start building ex motors.

civic06
07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
i dont know what kind of piston it is, it was in teh bike when i bought it last year, we did not replace the rings, he checked them and said that they felt brand new so he replaced the valve seals for me. but i dont hear and ticking when its running, do you think if i get new valves and wiseco piston with new rings that i will be ok? thanks for the fast replys

rfc3
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
if your buddy knew your valves were hitting your piston why did he put it back together like that?

there has to be something seriously wrong with it now. really bent valves, scored cylinder, rockers, cam???

civic06
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
he said that he thought the two intake valves looked a lil bent and at teh time he didnt see anything wrong with the piston, so he was just guessing saying that it might be the valves hitting the piston. should i buy a new piston and vavles??thanks

rfc3
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
you will need a new piston and valves IF they hit each other. check your cylinder for scoring, your rockers and cams for damage.

BigBore24
07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
i know your friends just trying to help but i think he is feeding you some crap. you need to do a compression test first and foremost. if it ran fine til you changed the oil im wondering if you didnt just put too much oil in it. if the valves were bent bad enough to see at a glance then id say your comp would be too low to run. so check your oil level and do a comp test and post the results then we can go from there

boosted3g
07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
This is a single cylinder engine. If the valves were bent it wouldnt run. Remember compression spark and fuel, take one away and it wont run. I agree with bigbore24 and check that oil level. Dry sumps can be tricky sometimes.

rfc3
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
very good point guys... i agree.