PDA

View Full Version : i dont know what to get

stockboy
07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
i have been looking around for a used sport atv and i have limited money to spend and it has come down to a 05 yfz for $4000 white/red w/flames or a 02 honda 400ex for $2000 i dont know what one help plz :confused:

Scooter86
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Pricewise the Honda is very attractive in comparison. If you plan on racing down the road, or may mod the heck out of the quad later, then the YFZ is a much better starting point. Based on prices around where I live, there is probably a little more wiggle room on the Yamaha price as well. If 4K is to big a swing, then get the EX and don't look back. Good Luck to you.

Ralphieg
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
hey bro
it all depends on what you are into

i've had both

400ex is outdated but its still a good trail bike especially the older ones that dont have reverse... they aren't as powerful as the 450s but still keep up in the trail.. when are you actually going to be going full throttle anyways?

but remember the 400 tends to wear bearings so slide the rear end see if it tight check the axle carrier bearing make sure its not damaged & pick up the front and see if the 2 front bearings are good.. dont let someone sucker you into a piece of crap

also the front of the 400 weighs nothing so it comes up easy so if you get that be careful

the 450 is a well thought out machine it doesnt tire you out to ride it all day because it has 20 x better shocks than the 400 its more versitile and its balanced out.. has better handling and more power..

but whatever you decide to get remember where a helmet and be safe.. and have tons of fun roosting your buddies!

#17YFZRACER
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
if you are an aggressive rider you will love the 450 over the ex without question.

Thumper1220
07-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I haven't had my 450 that long but i hear maintenance costs are maybe a little more on the motor than with something like the 400. if you have limited money to spend in the first place you might be happier down the road with the ex...

just my .2 i have ridden a stock 400 was pretty nice quad

06YFZ450SE
07-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I got a YFZ450 and I like it alot I didnt make the wrong choice when I picked the YFZ.The power comes in good and its a high reving motor like a 2 stroke. I would pick the YFZ..

stockboy
07-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Ralphieg
hey bro
it all depends on what you are into

i've had both

400ex is outdated but its still a good trail bike especially the older ones that dont have reverse... they aren't as powerful as the 450s but still keep up in the trail.. when are you actually going to be going full throttle anyways?

but remember the 400 tends to wear bearings so slide the rear end see if it tight check the axle carrier bearing make sure its not damaged & pick up the front and see if the 2 front bearings are good.. dont let someone sucker you into a piece of crap

also the front of the 400 weighs nothing so it comes up easy so if you get that be careful

the 450 is a well thought out machine it doesnt tire you out to ride it all day because it has 20 x better shocks than the 400 its more versitile and its balanced out.. has better handling and more power..

but whatever you decide to get remember where a helmet and be safe.. and have tons of fun roosting your buddies! thanks odds are that ill miss something right away then ill get home and figure out that i got riped off so i think ill get a yfz but still looking

Ralphieg
07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
IMO the yfz would be the best bet in the long run, higher maintence fourwheeler but a whole lot more power to play with and handling.

TheNewn
07-11-2008, 02:17 AM
In my opinion that YFZ is pretty over priced. Especially for an 05.

If you race....YFZ (but not at that price) and if you trail ride...400EX.

mbx5
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I have both.... a 440ex w/ pipe, cam, jetted, aftermarket suspension.... I also have a 2007 YFZ450 stock.

Comparison - the YFZ handles better, has a much more responsive throttle and revs quick - much like a 2-stroke powerband as someone else has mentioned.

The 400ex even with the mods is much more tame, not much of a "powerband" per se...it is light and you can pick them up cheap.

If I had the money and were to choose again - I would go with the YFZ hands down....I just like the quick revving engine and power it offers...just my style of riding. I dont race - I am too old and crappy of a rider to race....but I sure love the thrill the YFZ offers over the EX....