PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wobble

ouhockeyplayer
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
While riding my quad a rider bedhind me noticed that my right rear wheel/tire was wobbling a bit. My EX is practically brand new and has never been abused or wrecked, so I can't imagine that an axle is bent. Its a 2004 that I bought in 05 as a left over and it only has light use. When riding, I don't notice any vibrations or anything out of the ordinary. However, you can see it if you left the back end up while running. What do you think this could be and should I even worry about it if it is unnoticable when riding? It has douglas red label rims with ITP MXR4 tires in the rear.

jrsmith_80
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
it could possibly be a bent axle. The other options would include a bent wheel or a loose wheel. I would check those first.

Gibson
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
you might want to check your hub nut it could be loose if it is tighten it as tight as you can

ouhockeyplayer
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Also I should have mentioned that it did this with the stock tires and when I put the aftermarket tires and wheels on as well. So this pretty much leaves the axle but it baffles me as to how this could be bent since its never taken a hard hit, jump, bump, or wreck. The axle looks brand new. Could this be a manufacturer defect that I just have never noticed

mooseracerX
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
The only think that comes to mind other than a bent axle is the rear bearings are shot. To see if this is the problem jack up the back end or put it on a jack stand and wiggle the tire up and down. If it moves its the bearings.

Gibson
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
simple question and i can tellu what it is. Does it wobble back and forth or side to side? Back and forth: bent axle, side to side: bent wheel, but in your case loose hub nut

AZ440ex
07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
you might want to check your hub nut it could be loose if it is tighten it as tight as you can

X2

I have had mine come loose enough to wobble a bit.

ouhockeyplayer
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I will check the hub nut. I lifted the rear end off the ground while running the other night and nothing "visually" looks bent. The wheels are brand new and hardly have seen much time so I can't imagine I bent a red label rim riding lightly.

Hondamaster5505
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
they must not tighten the hub nuts well at honda. Mine had play in it from the nut being loose, but it was never touched because it was the original pin and all. Had to take an air wrench to it.

Then someone before, and now you have the same problem.

lol

Gatekeeper
07-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
they must not tighten the hub nuts well at honda. Mine had play in it from the nut being loose, but it was never touched because it was the original pin and all. Had to take an air wrench to it.

Then someone before, and now you have the same problem.

lol

me2
Caught it right before the cotter pin broke completely off.:eek2:
That could've been ugly

krt400ex
07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
if you ride hard...it is normal to get a very SMALL wobble in them...the stock axle isnt the strongest thing in the world. i just bent mine realy good the toher day though...i got an excuse for a LSR now...YEAH BABY!!! hahaa

speedfoxracing
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
yea it could be bent rim cause mine is like that and also check ur hup and see if its on tight and not lose

speedfoxracing
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
yea it could be bent rim cause mine is like that and also check ur hup and see if its on tight and not lose

Gibson
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by speedfoxracing

i go around my quad once every week to make sure nothin has come loose. i put sealant tape on the threads of the axle and they havent budged. But all of my wheels wobble b/c all 4 of them have the s*** bent out of them

07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
my front left wheel is bent pretty bad, i was towing my brothers quad to start it and he was even notied how much it wobbled. I took a look and all i said was DANG! lol both fronts are bent but the left one wobbles so much, in the sand I doubt I will notice it

Gibson
07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
i've hit so many big rocks, stumps, and had some harsh landings, that my mine feels like its gonna shake apart when i get on the road or any smooth surface

justin1022
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ouhockeyplayer
While riding my quad a rider bedhind me noticed that my right rear wheel/tire was wobbling a bit. My EX is practically brand new and has never been abused or wrecked, so I can't imagine that an axle is bent. Its a 2004 that I bought in 05 as a left over and it only has light use. When riding, I don't notice any vibrations or anything out of the ordinary. However, you can see it if you left the back end up while running. What do you think this could be and should I even worry about it if it is unnoticable when riding? It has douglas red label rims with ITP MXR4 tires in the rear.

do you torque your hub nuts? not the one in the middle the ones that hold your rims on. you no there is 4 of them if you dont torque them that could be giving it the wooble that happend to me last fall.