PDA

View Full Version : this sucks, any ideas ??

hypersnyper6947
07-07-2008, 09:20 PM
So today i was going to add some liquid gasket to my valve cover because 2 of the bolts on the front left lobe are stripped, the threads are gone inside not the bolt it self. So when i went to take of the big bolt in the middle i think its a 12mm out it broke. So now i have a piece of the bolt down in the bolt hole. How can i get this out? Also how can i re thread the other 2 bolts?

Barrymaxx
07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I re threaded all of my valve cover bolts with a heli coil kit. Its very common to strip those bolts, so heli coil them all while your at it. Im glad I did.

As for the middle bolt, the same thing. You could try using an ez-out to get the broken off part out..

hypersnyper6947
07-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
I re threaded all of my valve cover bolts with a heli coil kit. Its very common to strip those bolts, so heli coil them all while your at it. Im glad I did.

As for the middle bolt, the same thing. You could try using an ez-out to get the broken off part out..

Was it hard to do?

Do you have to get new bolts or do you use the old ones?

Where can i get a kit to do this and how much do they run?

416HondaEX
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Helicoil isn't hard to do, you buy the kit. Then your gonna drill out the hole that your bolt screws into, you then run the tap into it which comes specially with the kit because it's not the same as a regular tap. You then put the coil on the installation tool and screw into the hole. Theres a little piece on the coil that is straight that allows u to screw it in, but you then break it off when it's been screwed in. Then your all day and a lot stronger.

hypersnyper6947
07-07-2008, 11:06 PM
sounds easy enough what size do i need

416HondaEX
07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
depends on the bolt if it's 10mm there will be a thing in the kit that tells you which drill to use and which coil, etc to use. It's pretty straight forward.