PDA

View Full Version : Jon Kelly - shipped frame and a-arms

quad2xtreme
07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Pappy,

Shipped today FedEx ground.

1. Frame

Frame is split in 3 places and cracked in 3 places for sure. Want to get those spots fixed. It is okay to beef up the cracked tubes with oversize tubing around it if that helps or makes your job easier.

Install a gusset kit installed. I have the Precision steering stabilizer so you mentioned having to adjust the gusset kit.

Color = Silver w/clearcoat, close to stock if you have it.

2. Houser upper and lower +2 Sli-cast a-arms

Remove lower balljoints and trash

Color = Fire Red

Jon Kelly
Raleigh, NC 27613

919-259-4890

Serial # = XXXXXXXXX6X000337.

10th character = 2006 frame, production unit # 337.

Thanks,

Jon

Pappy
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
lol..id say you broke this one up pretty good:eek2:

i will knock out the frame repairs probably on thursday or friday and then its off to stripping

keving grabbed the arms tonight and will get the lower ball joints out

quad2xtreme
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my destruction Pappy. My mom & dad always said there is nothing that exists that I can't break. :D

I updated the colors. Hopefully the Silver on the frame is doable. I've gone nuts looking at pics and keep coming back to this.

I am thinking of no longer running a frame skidplate. What do you think about fabricating a metal plate on the bottom of the frame right where there is already all that rusted and dented metal? I was wondering if you could add another 1/8 steel or even a 3/16" steel plate. I am tired of washing all the dirt off the skidplate not to mention that oil changes are a pain. If you don't think this would work very well then I will just get a plastic type skidplate. Maybe the steel plate wouldn't even serve much purpose.

Thanks,

Jon

Dave400ex
07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Here is Rally wheel Silver. Very close to stock.

quad2xtreme
07-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Here is Rally wheel Silver. Very close to stock.

Awesome!!! That is the look I am after. Where's the rest of it? :D I see the Moto-Xperts sticker. Did you get the tranny mod? So far, I haven't had any issues with my quad. I thought about sending it while this work was happening.

Dave400ex
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
It does have the tranny mod. Along with head work. Toby is awesome!

Rest of it

quad2xtreme
07-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Thanks so much for posting. That is one clean, pleasing to the eye quad. Sounds funny but it has overall balance where your eye isn't pulled to one particular part over another.

Dave400ex
07-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Thank You! It was a blast to build. I can't wait to do another one. Pappy will hook you up right!

Pappy
07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
ok Jon....

your frame is on the bench, and I think i will use a LSR kit on it. i installed one this morning and it will work best especially in the areas you have broken in half...lol

i would still run a skid, even a poly unit will help

quad2xtreme
07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the update Pappy. Can't wait to see her.

I will go ahead and order a new skid. I got the 1/8" one last time. It held up for 2 years and still has some life in it but it is getting thin in a few spots. I figured the plastic one would protect from scratches better.

quad2xtreme
07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I am looking at 4 weeks for a frame skid protector that isn't aluminum. Tag Metals changed ownership and theirs are all on backorder. This one from hyderacing.com looks better anyhow. He sold it to me for $190.

Let me know if you are interested in doing or me doing a write-up on it. I am hoping it is a 2 piece model where you can just unbolt the engine portion and slide it out. He thinks it is this way...just not sure for the 450r. The picture is for a Raptor. The product is made in South Africa. The material is the same for skis and runners on snowmobiles.

jherbie28
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
yeah jon 661 bought tag metals......i ordered my black tag railer skid back in feb. and got it 2 weeks ago:mad: $109.00 shipped.

kind of reminds you of some other company that made your last steering stem.

fits excelent holding up well as far as 1 ride goes:blah:

Pappy
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Jon, still havent seen the LSR kit, I will call tomorrow and see when it shipped.

quad2xtreme
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Jon, still havent seen the LSR kit, I will call tomorrow and see when it shipped.

Ok, thanks for keeping me in the loop.

We are checking out www.burningrockwv.com tomorrow. We are at the Microtel in Beckley, WV. It is about 20 minutes to Burning Rock so I am pretty psyched. It might even rain some this weekend to keep the dust down.

Enjoy your vacation next week.

Pappy
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
let me know how it is. eventually we will be moving down that way!

quad2xtreme
07-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
let me know how it is. eventually we will be moving down that way!

Was just looking at the LSR kit. I can see why you picked it. I was surprised with all the reinforcements and the extra cross tube.

Burning Rock was a blast. I liked it every bit as much as Hatfield McCoy and it is much closer. Being so close to Beckley really makes it an even better choice because you have more food options. There is a really good mix of trails and they are well marked. They have plenty of space (8,000 acres) to add more trails. I would like to see a few more extreme trails but I can understand why they didn't open with them day 1. They are really dumping money into the place. The trailhead building is super nice with tons of picnic tables, air conditioned check-in and store, nice bathrooms with showers. They have big plans for cabins, etc. The people are super friendly.

There was a good mix of muddy trails and a really nice trail (95) that we called The Amazon. The blacks are a bit mild compared to some of the blacks at Hatfield but I noticed they started relabeling some of theirs as Extreme.

We will definitely be heading back there. I love to trail ride too. We got the out-of-state membership for $50. Honestly, I don't see how they keep the place going for that cheap.

Pappy
07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Thats awesome to hear, we will be sure to get there asap!

The LSR kit shipped to me thursday so it will be waiting for me when i get home and i will revive your slightly abused frame:devil:

Pappy
08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
ok jon, frame is ready to abuse again. all gusseted up, all cracks repaired and it should be stripped tomorrow or wednesday.

quad2xtreme
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Cool. Don't forget the a-arms. I have the new balljoints sitting here just waiting.

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Pappy,

Just wanted to get an update on when you think you will be shipping. Trying to make plans on my end.

Thanks,

Jon

Pappy
08-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Everything will ship on monday

I need your address etc

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Awesome news Pappy.

Jon Kelly
4816 Bartwood Drive
Raleigh, NC 27613

Looks like I will be staying home next weekend. :D

quad2xtreme
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Awesome news Pappy.

Jon Kelly
4816 Bartwood Drive
Raleigh, NC 27613

Looks like I will be staying home next weekend. :D

Let me know what the total is too. I can either call with a credit card, send a check, or pay with Paypal.

Do you still have those 4 red Hiper rings? I could use those too.

Pappy
08-10-2008, 06:44 AM
No I sure dont, they sold pretty quick:p

I will pm you the total:)(oops, your pm box is full)

PC Frame $100
LSR Gusset Kit $133
Install Gusset Kit $100
PC A Arms $45
Return Shipping $40

Total: $418.00

Paypal is bkperformance@peoplepc.com or you are free to send a check to:

BK Performance
84 Chase lane
Hedgesville WV

quad2xtreme
08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Pappy. I sent the payment via Paypal this morning.

I plan to rebuild one of the 400ex quads soon so you will be seeing more stuff coming your way. Both of them just look tired and old...hence wanting those Hiper rings. I should have jumped on them right away.

quad2xtreme
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Pappy,

The frame looks great. That LSR kit is worth every penny...well, it would be better if Honda just installed it at the factory. :)

I really think those extra braces where the subframe connects will prevent those subframe bolts from snapping.

The Houser a-arms weren't in the box. Are they on the way in a separate box?

Thanks,

Jon

Pappy
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
there will be 2 boxes, 1 frame, 1 arms

quad2xtreme
08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Like magic...FedEx just showed up again. The a-arms arrived.

Of course they won't do me much good, I can't ride with these and risk getting them nicked. :D Now I need to go buy my own press for putting the bearings in. Not sure I can trust the guys at the Honda shop to touch these.

Very nice work Pappy!!!

quad2xtreme
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Pappy,

I finished getting the quad back together today and it fired right up.

Wanted to let you know that I had to do 3 minor modification to get it back together with the LSR kit.

I had to cut a "V' out of each front fender bracket to go around the gusset.

I also had to use a dremel to melt ( :D ) a slice in the plastic piece that goes between the engine and the gas tank.

I would have never gotten this thing back together if I didn't have Connie's to use as a guide. The electrical was fun and got some of the sequencing out of order so had to take stuff back off a few times. :)

Thanks again for the awesome job. The more I look at all the gussets the more I love it. My favorite is the one on the back of the frame where the upper subframe mounts. I think that will keep those bolts from snapping. I definitely felt more comfortable at the track today. It took me much longer to get it back together than I estimated so I only had 2 hours at NCMP to test it out.

Pappy
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
The fender bracket mod is a given on the 06 and newer machines. I think i forgot to tell you or assumed you knew about it:p

Awesome to hear its back on the ground...well back on the track:devil:

08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
post some finished pics!