PDA

View Full Version : can am ds90x

ml450r
07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I just bought this bike on the 3rd of July. It is the coolest bike to look at but I can't believe how slow it is. The first problem is the clutch, is there any way to adjust the stock clutch to hook up sooner? It revs almost all the way up before it moves. I have read on here some of you guys have got it to do donuts, this bike would be luck to do a donut on ice with no rider. I assume a pipe, CDI and an open air filter would really liven it up, but what can I do about the clutch, I would like it to take off low in the rpm. I am not concerned about it gripping real hard. I am not letting him race it right now, just play riding, but it will barely pull itself up the face of a jump let alone get any air off of it.

We have an extreme 125 and LT80 that he also rides. I just want to do something about the clutch. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

musky
07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
We have the koso pipe, koso adjustable cluch, koso posi grip clutch housing, 1000 rpm torque & cdi. You can contact Kevin @ http://www.bakmotorsports.net/Home_Page.html. Het rick also clutch spring kits for the 90x. I like the koso clutch you can play around with it to get it to engage quicker. I stongly reccomend getting the exhaust it makes a huge difference.
We are still running the the stock air filter for now but are planning on planning putting on a 20mm Keihin Carburetor, & after market air filter , oil cooler & some other mods.
Just watch it as you mod it they seem to run hot. You may want to run synthetic oil if your not already.

yfz450ba
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
The problem with this quad is it comes stock with 3.5 hp, that's it 3.5. you can however get it up to about 11 hp, with about 3500 buck worth of work. and then it does pretty good. (still not enough to keep up with the Apex's and Drr's) talk to Hetrick, they have everything you need. Good Luck:D :D

ml450r
07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
thanks guys, I would be happy with 7-8 hp. I just want the clutch to work a little different.

jjd223
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Those of you that have built this motor, and have the 20mm carb, how have you jetted it?

FISH ON!
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with the 90X. If you want a good trail quad for recreational riding and not racing, then it's a nice quad but a real disappointment on power. When you chose to bump up the hp's, the reliability goes down quick. I spent a lot of money on our 90X and never was satisfied. Matter of fact it's collecting dust today and it only has about 30 hours at most on it.

When I got frustrated enough I went and bought a DRX 90 Liquid. Now we have two 90's. You want to get the DRR or an APEX if your looking for performance out of the box, but it will be higher maintenance than a 4-stroke. Our Can-Am 90X will be on the market if I can ever get the waranty parts in. We've been waiting on a rear shock for 5 months now !!!

PM me if you want more Pros and Cons. I have both if you want some honest comparisons.

If I were to buy a 4-stroke for trail riding I would look hard at the 2009 Raptor 90 with the dual A-Arms over the Can-Am.

Todd Jones

ml450r
07-13-2008, 01:22 PM
A pipe and CDI shouldn't hurt the reliability should it?

FISH ON!
07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
If I ever figure it out I'll let you know. The motor really needs an oil cooler. The pipe makes a big difference but the running hot issue hasn't gone away no matter how it's jetted.

musky
07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
You beet me to the punch Todd. You will gain around 3.5 hp with the exhaust & cdi. Like Fish On said, watch for overheating. I'm not sure if anyone has had overheating issues with the stock pipe.
Ron