PDA

View Full Version : cam chain broken?

JR_rivard
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
i have 2 questions,
first i was riding my '99 ex and it suddenly quit. took it apart and the cam chain is broke, it came off of the cam shaft and was lodged against the sprocket of the camshaft. but the camshaft looks fine. im gonna take off the bottom end cover tomarrow and see if anything is damaged down there. but what could have caused this?

second, i have broke several clutch cables recently, what could be causing this?

thanks for any input.

rideracelivemx7
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
thats the stock chain for you dude. it streches worse than anyother one. and brakage. dont be alarmed. yeah it would suck but tahts a big up grade to do on that bike is do a hd chain or the crf450 cam chain. and the clutch cable thing? are you using cheap homemade ones lol ive never really seen aftermarkets break to often , just the cheap oem ones. are they fraying or just snapping. is it the ball at the end popping off or what? there might be some heavy damage in the case dude. thers ...like 6 or 7 gears that encase the cam chain gear. oil pump.clutch basket and basket gear and the drive gear and the a couple other secondaries and such. i popped mine off when setting my timing and it bunched up and betn the link. ohh that was a fun project. it madea god offul screaching noise when i ran it so i was forced to get a new chain. good luck. let me know how it goes

JR_rivard
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
so i took off the right crankcase cover and there appears to be no damage to the any of the gears. so this must mean it's just the stock cam chain then i hope. what type you suggest for an after market one, i assume and "hd" is an after market one.

alex10
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Buy a 2002 CRF-450 timing chain from bikebandit.com.

JR_rivard
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
so it's the same size? that's weird because a stock cam chain from the honda dealer is like around $100, and this one that you said above is $40. that just seems odd to me, but i will go with it.

Honda5
07-09-2008, 04:45 AM
your cam chain was probably stretched out and jumped off the sprocket and got bound up somewhere and broke. yes use the crf450 cam chain I have done at least 10 fo them and never had a return. and check your cam chain adjuster.

leasureryan
07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I work at Mid-Ohio Hond.....and pulled both chains from thier packages....trying to sell this kid a CRF chain instead of the $100 400ex chain. I showed him that they are the same lenght, just thicker. They work...and save money and hassle

JR_rivard
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
well i got one ordered, the dealer said they are the same size too, thanks guys for the input.