PDA

View Full Version : Ford 5.4L upgrades

HondaEXrider22
07-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey all you truck fanatics, i have another question. For the 99 ford 5.4, which upgrades are best? I am getting full exhaust, intake, full tuneup. (looking for better mpgs)

My question -

Is it necessary to chip these mods?
If so, which chip?
For what purpose?

What else can you guys help me out with my gas eating, doggingly slow 5.4?

Kickstarts-suck
07-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I know for the newer (04+) trucks the EDGE tuner is the best bang for your buck.

Pipeless416
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
we just got an 07 lariat crew cab and it definitely gets better mileage than our van did, but these days, it could always be better. so im kind of wondering the same thing. not to steal your thread, but will the edge void the warranty? also, i haven't looked, but an exhaust shop said that the 04s+ have 4 catalytic converters on them :huh , basically making an aftermarket exhaust system worthless besides adding a better sound. if anybody can shed some light on this i'd appreciate it. PM me unless the OP doesn't mind.

Kickstarts-suck
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
The Edge CAN void your warranty but if you want you can put back in the stock tune and take the edge out if you ever need warranty work done or anything at the dealer.

Not sure how many cats but your probably right. You could replace the cats with 2 high flow magnaflow cats and then a custom duel exhaust.

The Edge has a tune for better gas mileage.
Pretty sweet. Wanting my dad to get one for his 07 5.4

Kickstarts-suck
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
2004-2008 forums

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/

97-03
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/

just saw this

Sounds like you need to get aquainted to the Magnusson-Moss Act.

"This is a 1975 United States Federal Law which deals with consumer warranty coverage. It defines responsibilities for both the buyer and the seller of all consumer goods costing more than $25. A portion of this law applies to aftermarket parts and modifications and how it affects your car warranty.

For our purposes the law basically states that you have a right to use aftermarket, non-OEM parts on your car and still retain the factory warranty. However, if there is a failure and the manufacturer (Hyundai, in this case) [Ford in ours] can show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part, they can deny coverage.

The important thing is that your dealer cannot VOID your entire warranty just because the part is on the car. There have been cases where a dealer would tell a customer that their new car had no warranty because it had an aftermarket exhaust. Granted, the exhaust is not covered, however the rest of the car is still under the normal warranty."

RideRed84
07-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Put a supercharger from a lightning on your truck and call it a day

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 08:38 AM
No box stock tuning will ever match custom tuning. Get an SCT and pick your favorite place to have custom tuning done. I've been trying to talk my dad into it for his 04 (3v motor) I would get it from innovative diesel just because I know how good they are with the diesels, and they come highly recommended for the ford gas motors as well.

Exhaust didnt' do much on his truck, but the intake helped a lot. You really wont notice these improvements until custom tuning is done as well. The tuning is really what makes the truck.

8my_Cash
07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
for you year truck a 99 a tuner really wont do much. from 97 to 01 the motors really werent too dependant on the ECU for engine management.

I have a 98 4.6L and i have done a lot of research on this. I am not saying a tuner will do nothing, it will do something but not as much as a tuner for an 04 3v 5.4L motor.

for a full ehxaust make sure to do cats if you get headers. you will see an improvement in MPG

and try this forum for ford trucks trucks

www.fordf150.net (http://www.fordf150.net)

400ex28
07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=226&parent=2

you can thank me later.

450r ride red
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
roush made a supercharger kit for the 5.4

BlasterEaten250
07-07-2008, 07:02 PM
What type of intake do you guys recommend for the 5.4? We are looking at either the volant or the K&N. We are mainly looking to increase gas mileage.

NacsMXer
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
What type of intake do you guys recommend for the 5.4? We are looking at either the volant or the K&N. We are mainly looking to increase gas mileage.

Both are pretty similar with the exception that the Volant is a sealed box that gets its air draw from the hole in the driver's fender like stock. The K&N has a heat shroud that seals to the hood when closed but has an "open airbox" design.

An intake and catback exhaust combo should help the MPG's a little but don't expect anything drastic unless you do a complete exhaust with headers.

NacsMXer
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
Hey all you truck fanatics, i have another question. For the 99 ford 5.4, which upgrades are best? I am getting full exhaust, intake, full tuneup. (looking for better mpgs)

My question -

Is it necessary to chip these mods?
If so, which chip?
For what purpose?

What else can you guys help me out with my gas eating, doggingly slow 5.4?

If you really want to open up the potential of the motor while helping the mileage you should start by uncorking the stock intake/exhaust.

A nice set of headers will give you nice mid-top gains while gaining you some better mileage to boot. Next, you need to ditch the 4 stock catalytic converters in place of 2 hi-flow converters like from Magnaflow or Dynomax. Complete the exhaust with a nice dual catback system.

For intakes on the 5.4, I like the Airforce One, K&N, Airaid, and Volant systems. I had the AF1 intake on my 5.4 when it was naturally aspirated, and helped out with throttle response a good bit.

If you're doing a tune-up with new plugs, it would be a good idea to clean the MAF as well.

As far as chips, I used to run a Jet chip (did next to nothing), and then ran a Diablosport chip (much better, but not drastic). To cap all these mods off, like 400exrider707 mentioned, I would go with custom tuning software via SCT. It is a little more money this way, but nothing beats professional knowledge and a dyno tune for your vehicle. Even on a stock vehicle you would be surprised what hidden HP can be found this way.

bulkdriverlp
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
www.fordtruckworld.com

HondaEXrider22
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Sorry not to mention but if it does help, it is a F250 SD CC.

What would be involved in a tuneup on this truck?

Plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter? Is that it?

Also, would true dual exhaust be worth it?