PDA

View Full Version : 300ex clutch install problems

metalmind342
07-06-2008, 07:50 PM
i know this is the 250 forum but theres no 300 forum. My friend and i installed a clutch on his 01 300ex and we buttoned everything up today and when we went to pull the clutch lever there was no resistance. It was like the clutch cable was to long. We adjusted the cable as much as we could and got some resistance at the last 1/4 of the clutch lever pull. We took the cover back off and made sure all the linkage was on right and that the plunger (i dunno what else to call it) was set into the case correctly.

anything else we should look for? Pulling the case is again is not a big deal we already did it like 5 times.

thanks, and if there is a better forum to post this in just let me know and ill try to move it.

Aceman
07-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Here's a couple of other forums to try:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=177

A couple things I'll mention:

You've tried adjusting the cable at the perch and on the engine's clutch adjustment bracket?

Did you put this together with the help of manual, are you positive the clutch/linkage is installed properly? You didn't forget any fibers/steels/thrust washers?

There's a possibility your clutch cable is stretched. How old is it?
Have you unhooked the cable from the clutch arm at the case yet? I'd put some pliers on that arm and see if you can rotate it just like the clutch cable would. If it feels alright(engages and disengages the clutch), I'd probably try a new cable.

trx310R#24
07-06-2008, 08:15 PM
adjust it at the bottum an on the lever an at the bottum adjustment did you put the bolt in the metal peace. the cable can be bad.

metalmind342
07-06-2008, 09:16 PM
we adjusted the cable from the handle, but couldnt get the nut loose to adjust it from the top of the crank case. Its in a very hard position the when i did get the wrench on it, the bracket bent before the nut broke loose. Yes im positive we didnt forget any steels or fibers. No we did not use a shop manual we just winged it. the lever where the linkage connects can be moved very easily for about a half inch or so of then it gets very hard and need a screw driver or push anymore on it. The clutch cable has never been adjusted or off the bike and is original from 01. And yes, im as positive as i could be that all the linkage and hard parts are put together properly as i could be with out having a manual.

Thanks for the help