PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil, BAD.. Need help

SHIFTx450
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
ok... I am doing my usual routine for cleaning after my ride today.. I take my baby, turn the gas off, and stand her up on the wheelie bar so i can scrub between her toes, next thing, I notice motor oil POURING out of my airbox... From my crankcase ventilation.. F'n pouring.. My oil level dropped dramatically and everything.. It was not overfilled.. I've been noticing amounts of oil in my airbox and on my swingarm and rear shock for awhile now, but never to this extent.. The **** was pouring out so damn bad. Dont have a clue why, the cause, is it a bad seal? Ask me questions, gimme some advice, anything would be appreciated greatly.. Thanks guys

SHIFTx450
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
come on I know i'm not the only one who's had this happen to them...

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
are you sure it wasn't over full with oil?? the other problem would be a bad crankcase seal.

alex10
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Oil pours out the oil vent when you stand a quad up. Nothing is out of place.

exsweetie66
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
not mine. i just did it last nite to mount my stem and skid plate. no oil whatsoever. im not sure what would cause it.

400exrider0004
07-08-2008, 06:27 PM
mine recently did this as well. I would like to know what causes this as well

Thanks

BadinBlack
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
when the motor is hot it will most likely leak out or if it is over filled. also if you have an extended swinger it will do it as well since the motor then gets tilted further back.

SHIFTx450
07-11-2008, 04:29 PM
hmm.. bad crankcase seal huh??? the motor was hot, but i've had it up there before hot or not, and this never happened before.. and i am positive it was not overfilled.. guess the cases have to be split to fix that??? is there any way of checking it before digging into her guts??? thanks

rt20ps
07-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Check your trans oil level. If the oil is migrating from the tranny to the engine side it will overfill itself and then blow out the breather into your airbox.

SHIFTx450
07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
ok.. so how will the trans oil make its way over to the engine side?? now.. i have been having a little issue with my trans oil plug, and the oil on that side.. i f'n snapped my trans oil drain bolt one day.. and you know how long it is.. the lower half of the bolt is still in there.. i absolutely COULD NOT get the damn thing out.. would it be blocking a passageway or something?? the oil still drains, but doesnt seem like enough drains.. ill like just change the oil, and put in just a half quart, and the check oil level hole (with bolt removed) starts to pour out oil.. something funny is going on.. anyway, back to my question, how would there be trans oil migrating to the oil side, and if it is, its alot.. and would my broken bolt be part of the problem?? but wait..
another note..
my oil level dropped substantially... and even in the low level, i stand it up, the **** still pours out.. grrrrr:mad: