PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions for riding gear

blaaze416
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
So I've been thinking about getting some actual riding gear; boots, pants, chest protector. I ride in blue jeans and waterproof merrell hikers that have seen their day. Have you guys had good and/or bad experiences concerning those three items . Tell me what you like and don't like and where to look to get it. Been all over rockymountain. Looking for comfortable and effective boots and pants. The chest protector may wait til I actually start racing xc. Thanks for your input.

QUADCOP
07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I've been racing motocross for over ten years. I have riden in just about every name brand on the market. It really depends on your style likings. Fox, Thor, Troy Lee Design, answer are really nice gear and quailty name brand. I love Alpinestar boots, but Fox, Thor, answer, are a few really good name brand boots. Goggle are again whatever is your style likings. I really would wait on a chest protector, until you start racing. Now, if you need a helmet I would suggest Fox, Shoei, Thor, Troy Lee Design are again some really nice name brand helmets. I really would not suggest someone that is wanting to race to purchase a "Damn" forty dollar helmet. I would rather purchase some cheaper riding gear and buy myself a really nice helmet.

You can just type in "Cheap motocross gear" and tons of really good websites will pop-up. Also, purchasing used gear is another option and really cheap way of picking up all the gear that you may need. Good Luck, Jason.

blaaze416
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Quadcop! I'll try the cheap motocross gear thing, and also look into Alpinestar boots. Boots and pants are what I'm mostly wanting. I like the over the boot type pant I think. I've never tried an in the boot pant, so who knows? What are the advantages of both?? Keep your prefferences coming. Tell me why you like what you got.

jrafter
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
i dont race but i think good chest protection is a must

fox make a very good one

BlasterEaten250
07-06-2008, 07:46 PM
To me Fox stuff doesnt hold up very well. I have a couple jerseys that the stitching is coming out pretty badly and they have only been used on a couple rides. I've had both fox and thor chest protectors and the fox seemed like a better fit but the thor seems to be stronger. If you can I would go somewhere to try a few different ones on and see what you feel most comfortable with, same with boots etc.

leasureryan
07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I ride in full gear even if I am just riding around the local trails, which aren't too dangerous, but anything could happen. Chest protectors save you from roost, and breaking ribs etc if a bike rolls over on you. Especialy when riding with 3 CRF450R's in some super rocky conditions...lol....I couldn't even begin to tell you how many rocks bounced of my chest this weekend...lol...even took one to the throat...ouch.....strip mines are a blast....but can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing......Somerset (Perry state forest) is a blast

I say.....WAY BETTER safe than sorry!!!

I have Moose boots right now, good price, and overall good boot
Fox chest Protector, 1 month old, and falling apart.....go figure
Thor apperal and goggles and an Xspeed helmet. Everything else but the chest protector is holding up great

Misfit138
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a new KBC motocross design helmet,it is really light and has the same design vents in the top as the street bike helmets to keep your head nice and cool.

jrafter
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
To me Fox stuff doesnt hold up very well. I have a couple jerseys that the stitching is coming out pretty badly and they have only been used on a couple rides. I've had both fox and thor chest protectors and the fox seemed like a better fit but the thor seems to be stronger. If you can I would go somewhere to try a few different ones on and see what you feel most comfortable with, same with boots etc.

my jerseys have done the same thing on the sleeves

but there chest protector fits real good

mooseracerX
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I like my shift and O'Neil ridding gear. For a helmet I like Bell. I bought one from them because they specialize in helmets. I have Thor boots. I like them and they held up nicely. Goggles Smith optic is the way to go IMO. I think I have a biased opinion because I'm sponsored by them, but in the years before I raced I had Scotts and they did't hold up as well. On order I have EVS Revo 4 chest protector. I chose that one because I wasn't a big fan of the over the jersey ones. Also on order is becoming a must for serious racers; an EVS RC-Evolution race collar. It protects you from breaking your neck, and things that come along with that. Plus for the younger guys/gals out there it'll help to keep you walking when your older. ;)
Hope this helps. :)

blaaze416
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks again for the input. Glad to hear that fox clothing seems to wear out. Been looking at some fox pants. I do like the looks of those alpinestar boot though, quadcop. And yes, i've already had a few times a chest protector would have helped with some rib hits! That's why I'm interested...I RIDE HARD, but trees are harder!!!!

01exrider 281
07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
a good helemt. arai or shoie that is all am wearing frome now on. they are the best. tech 8's or tech 10's, i personally wear the tech 10's. i wear answer aplha air 08 gear. and the thor sential chest protector is awsome. IMO fox is junk and poser gear IMO. but what for "budget" are you on if any??

SPDSNYPR
07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I have tried relatively few types of riding gear, but my choices are usually based on my size needs (6-04, 265+). Not a lot of "extra sasquatch" gear out there. To me, helmet, boots, and chest protector are the things you need first - in that order. Two days after I bought my quad, I rolled it on myself an cracked a couple of ribs. I could have saved an ER trip and costs for a $100 chest protector - but I thought I didn't need it and ignored the advice of my friends who ride. The helmet and boots came in handy that day though.

I've only used the Fly ATV boots - which are perfect for me just riding trails fast. I've run over my leg with the boots on - pretty sure they saved me from injury each time.

My chest protector is MSR - but when I looked theywere pretty much the only ones who make yeti sized chest protectors. It's worked fine and is comfortable unless I just wear a t-shirt to ride (then it rubs the crap out of my nipples - odd, I know, but it happens).

I agree about buying the best helmet you can - only got one brain.

I have both answer and shift pants. Both work fine and have held up to the riding I do. Both are pretty close to each other. The answers fit a little looser in the thigh, which I prefer.

Well, that's all I got. I'm sure others here have played with a lot more gear than I have.

blaaze416
07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Good stuff spdsnypr. Agreed on the helmet (and the nipples!). I have two right now (helmets), a Vega and a (? very muddy one). Both seem to work fine. I'll look into some Answer, Shift, and O'Neil pants. They seem to stand out for people. As for budget....well, lets say I'm economical, yet splurge for the goods! No $400 boots or anything like that.....but maybe $200. I know you get what you pay for.

RaginRedneck
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
"I agree about buying the best helmet you can - only got one brain."

I've got two brains, the other one is in my pants according to most of the chicks I meet. <---sorry had to throw that one in there.

I highly recommend a chest protector. Until I bought my first quad a couple of months ago I never wore one, and I thought that it would restrict my movements, but after a few stories from my brother and some friends I bought one (FOX). It is suprisingly comfortable, and it has saved me from taking rocks directly to the chest a few times.

I have answer boots, which I mainly bought due to price, they were on closeout, List $229, I paid $109. Couldn't really argue with that, but let me give you some advice, especially if you are use to riding with hiking boots on:

1) Go buy a nice set of boots
2) Go buy a 12 pack of beer
3) Sit down in front of every sequel of your favorite movie (Jaws, Rambo, etc)
4) Proceed to drink beer and use your hands to break in your boots, flex them every possible, including ways that they are not meant to flex.

This will make the first time wearing them riding much easier on you. I felt like I had both my feet in casts...first ride sucked ***.

Someone mentioned it before, but right now all the new 09 stuff is coming out so all the 08 stuff is on clearance. Go jump on that stuff.

Good luck

01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
didnt wanna make a new thread.. Anyway if a XL shirt is kinda big on me should I get a L or XL jersey? Pants also, I normally wear a 32 or 34 waist ( I like em loose). Any help would be great.

the Z Man
01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I suggest Four gear, design just for quads and its very comfortable and reasonable, Thor t30 boots, they are out of production but can still be found, HJC makes a very good comfortable, strong, reasonably priced helmet, I would suggest the AC series... Scott goggles with roll off lens, Thor chest protectors seem to last and are not too much money...
You will really like the Four gear, like I say, they are designed just for quads and we need to appreciate and support those who support us..
Z. #41 2008 IATVHSS A Class Champion!!!

Mellow Yellow
01-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Another endorsement for Four gear. I bought one of their jerseys on closeout and was impressed. Held up way better than the 2 Fox jerseys I had before. MSR makes good stuff too. One pair of thier pants outlasted 2 pairs of Fox pants.

01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
size wise how do the pants compare to like jeans?

Mellow Yellow
01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
You need an inch or two larger than you would in jeans. I wear a 32 jean, and Fox and MSR pant, I wear a 34.

bullett
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Has anyone tried the Fox launch suit? I just purchased it and just wondering how it is.

01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Mellow Yellow
You need an inch or two larger than you would in jeans. I wear a 32 jean, and Fox and MSR pant, I wear a 34.

Thats what I figured.... How bout the jersey sizes? I wear a XL t-shirt but it fits a little loose and L is too small.

the Z Man
01-26-2009, 05:33 PM
I wear what I wear in street clothes..

Mellow Yellow
01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by SuicideMFNdoors
Thats what I figured.... How bout the jersey sizes? I wear a XL t-shirt but it fits a little loose and L is too small.
Jersey sizes seem to run pretty consistent with t-shirt sizes. A large t-shirt will fit a little loose on me, same with a jersey. I prefer a little loose to a little tight. In jerseys anyway...:devil:

01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
iight thanks man..

omeeomy
02-01-2009, 06:42 AM
try motosport.com they have package deals you can buy
i got my chest protector off ebay think its a place called jackets for bikes
mine is a under the shirt mesh jacket with all the protection
elbows back chest shoulders
it was like 79 bucksand i love my msr atv boots there under 100 bucks

02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Im undecided on the MSR mxt boots or the Fox comp 5's.. They're both under 150$ and have good reviews.

togup
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I think my helmet & goggles have protected me the most plus my Smith goggles are tinted and keeps the cold out in the winter and the sun out in the summer

omeeomy
02-03-2009, 03:16 AM
what is this four gear i hear about
i cant find it? anybody have a link?

02-03-2009, 03:45 AM
motorcycle-superstore.com sells FOUR. I just dont care for their designs. There is other brands that support ATV too. Like MSR and FLY for example.