PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Mitragorz
07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Does Mobil 1 make a filter that fits our bikes? What part #?

NacsMXer
07-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Not that i've ever heard of. There is a K&N oil filter though.

Either way not really necessary for fancy oil filters. Just run OEM Honda or Emgo oil filters off of ebay and change with the oil often :o

mooseracerX
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I got a Fram and its better than an OEM filter because it comes with another o-ring, plus it was cheaper at the auto parts store.

Mitragorz
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
It's not that I want a "fancy" filter... It's more convenient.

I use the same oil in my 400 as I do in my streetbike, so I pick up the oil plus my bike filter (M1-110 is a suitable substitute for the standard Yamaha filter in my bike) in one stop. Being able to pick up a Mobil 1 filter for the 400 at the same time would be even more convenient.

Fram... not sure how I feel about cardboard insides.

alex10
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I use Tusk oil filters from RM, plus they are only like $2.99 a piece.

leasureryan
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
keep in mind that metal screen type filters like K&N, etc, are not really too good. Paper filters are best due to the fact that they filter every little peice of anything from your oil...where as you can see right through a screen type filter, which would obviously allow all small particals flow right on by....as if they don't matter. Honda filters for life! Or equivilant if you can find one. They are only $5 from Honda....is that too much to spend to filter your oil?

Mitragorz
07-06-2008, 11:06 PM
No, it's not too much.

But if I can buy a Mobil 1 equivalent right around the corner, as opposed to driving to the closest Honda dealership 20 miles or so away...

I think you see the inconvenience.

07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
I got a Fram and its better than an OEM filter because it comes with another o-ring, plus it was cheaper at the auto parts store.

x2 easy to find, walmart, advance auto... many places carry it, its cheap, does it job well, extro o-ring is nice.

01exrider 281
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
i understand the convience part of it. but a oem filter is the way to go. we run oem filters in every one of our bike that requires a filter. as for price i would trust a oem filter over anything. a filter for my 300 is 2.98 for an oem. and that to me is very cheap.

NacsMXer
07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mitragorz
It's not that I want a "fancy" filter... It's more convenient.

I use the same oil in my 400 as I do in my streetbike, so I pick up the oil plus my bike filter (M1-110 is a suitable substitute for the standard Yamaha filter in my bike) in one stop. Being able to pick up a Mobil 1 filter for the 400 at the same time would be even more convenient.

Fram... not sure how I feel about cardboard insides.

Best you can do is get the Fram OE replacement filter from Walmart when you get your oil. I bought one once, it comes with a new O-ring for the filter cover....but i'm with you, i'm not a huge fan of Fram :ermm:

I just get my OEM Honda filters from the Honda dealer....one of the few things along with spark plugs that I will actually buy from a dealer. You can do that or like I said before, buy bulk quantities of Emgo filters (good quality) off of Ebay.

mooseracerX
07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know how come everyone disses Fram. A paper filter is a paper filter. Plus the Fram looked the same as the OEM filter just in a different package. Sad part is their probably made by the same company and just sold to Fram and Honda

leasureryan
07-07-2008, 05:30 PM
here is what you do if it is inconveniant to drive 20 miles everytime you change your oil.....

buy 3 filters at the same time.....problem solved

AZ440ex
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
here is what you do if it is inconveniant to drive 20 miles everytime you change your oil.....

:D X2

Or order them on line 6 or so at a time and have them shipped.

Mitragorz
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan

Not IF it's inconvenient... BECAUSE it's inconvenient. Personally, I think an unnecessary 20-mile drive is inconvenient, especially at $4.50/gallon at 14 mpg. My wiley plan was to AVOID driving the 20 miles in the first place.

Thanks for the insight Ryan :rolleyes: