PDA

View Full Version : NOOB, Questions about Used 400ex

Ford Motorsport
12-03-2002, 09:16 AM
I found a used 400ex with no mods, all stock. I would rather buy one without mods, because hopefully it was taken care of and not flogged too hard, no offense. I was wondering, anything I really need to look for when buying a 400ex, like problems that they have and stuff that I would need to look for.
I already checked the frontend out and the bolts have no rust spots where wrenches would have been turned, no dents in the bumpers, or frame. Rear brake is a little rusty, it might need to be changed. Tires are stock issue with lots of tread left. Not too much wear on anything, like the engine case where your foot would rub etc etc. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me some pointers.
Thanks James

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Your best bet is to do searches for info on this site. I don't think there are many known problems with the Honda. The stuff you looked for is about it. Just make sure the frame is straight, and letter rip.

Just as a note, the prices of these have dropped through the floor, so don't spend more than like $4k on a used one.

Ford Motorsport
12-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Actually he only wants like 3000. :huh There is also a Raptor and a Warrior at his shop (Artic Cat Dealer) and he wants like 5000 for the 2002 warrior and 5600 for the Raptor. I was just wondering if there was any specific problems that I would need to know about, I figured it was the best place to ask :D Soon as I get word back from my bank, I will probibly be driving the ole bronco up and getting me a new 4 wheeler :D :D

Texan32
12-03-2002, 10:24 AM
make sure the dealer lets you start 'er up. And take it for a quick spin if you can. To date, there really aren't any major issues with the 400. Most problems that surface are due to extreeme conditions (i.e. racing). but since it is all stock, i don't think that is an issue. If it seems to run good and pulls hard, 3 bills sounds like you got an honest deal. You might want to ask them WHY it was traded in.

They are off their rocker for that warrior and raptor!

Ford Motorsport
12-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Actually he told me that the guy that sold it to him had a son that was into Bikes, and he got it to follow his son around. It had been sitting in his garage for about a year without being rode and he wanted to get some money out of it. I mean I know it has been run a little hard or maybe it hasn't, but it is low hours and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I figure for that price, if something does go wrong after I have it for a while, I can do the stroker thing :D
I plan on taking it for a test drive, and seeing how she runs, I rode a 300ex and that will give me a baseline to judge performance. But the way this quad looks, it was well taken care of, I mean you can tell when parts were changed, because they will have hints of rust on the bolt heads,a nd they all look clean. I think it is a legit deal, so I will find out later.

Texan32
12-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Sounds pretty kosher to me guy.

And like you said. For 3 grand, even if you DO have to do anything to it, your still ahead of the game. Motor rebuilds (if you do it yourself) can be done pretty cheap.