PDA

View Full Version : air filter not sealing

ballzdeep38
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I have a uni foam filter on my 87 R with the stock airbox and boot. Due to over tightening (i figure) the boot that the air filter slips over is partially collapsed causing a gap in the seal. how can i remedy this? I thought i had seen on ebay once a aluminum ring that fit inside the boot to specifically prevent this from happening but i have never seen it again. does anyone here run one of those or have another solution? i would prefer not to buy another boot if i didn't have to.

bushwesl
07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, air box support rings will fix your problem. The ones that I personally have are made by PEP, but there are many other manufactures that make the rings.

nate_tuttle
07-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I believe this is what you are talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PEP-BILLET-AIRBOX-SUPPORT-RINGS-250R-HONDA-TRX-air-box_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 QQcategoryZ43972QQihZ002QQitemZ2473639256QQrdZ1QQs spagenameZWD1V

ballzdeep38
07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
that sounds like exactly what i need. do you know if these or any other brand of it would be available through a major parts supplier (tucker rocky, parts unlimited, etc.) that way i can just order them through the local shop?

nate_tuttle
07-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Ebay is the only place i have seen them

CorvetteZ06
07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
magic racing has them.

pdxbigfoot
07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
that are brand new and ill take $20.00 shipped.
Let me know via PM or at reverendseven@hotmail.com.
I am Paypal ready as well.
Jason

Rich250RRacer
07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ballzdeep38
I have a uni foam filter on my 87 R with the stock airbox and boot. Due to over tightening (i figure) the boot that the air filter slips over is partially collapsed causing a gap in the seal. how can i remedy this? I thought i had seen on ebay once a aluminum ring that fit inside the boot to specifically prevent this from happening but i have never seen it again. does anyone here run one of those or have another solution? i would prefer not to buy another boot if i didn't have to.

If you're running a Uni or almost any other air filter, be careful with the support rings. They have a flange on them that acts as a stop to keep the ring from going too far into the clamping area. With this flange, the filter will not lock or snap onto the clamping area as it's supposed to.

250r4life
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
If you're running a Uni or almost any other air filter, be careful with the support rings. They have a flange on them that acts as a stop to keep the ring from going too far into the clamping area. With this flange, the filter will not lock or snap onto the clamping area as it's supposed to.

for some reason i want to say mine were white brothers, but i couldnt say for sure as its been too many years since i bought them... but i didnt have any trouble at all getting the filter to snap on as it was supposed to, both with my UNIs and K&Ns... and i know what youre talking about in regards to how theyre supposed to snap on...

like i said, i dont know what brand mine were, and i dont have experience with other brands either...

my $.02

Rich250RRacer
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
for some reason i want to say mine were white brothers, but i couldnt say for sure as its been too many years since i bought them... but i didnt have any trouble at all getting the filter to snap on as it was supposed to, both with my UNIs and K&Ns... and i know what youre talking about in regards to how theyre supposed to snap on...

like i said, i dont know what brand mine were, and i dont have experience with other brands either...

my $.02

I think it's all in how they're machined, the set I had wouldn't let the filter lock on, so I just didn't run them. There probably are some out there that are correct.

All250R
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I think it's all in how they're machined, the set I had wouldn't let the filter lock on, so I just didn't run them. There probably are some out there that are correct.
I had this problem too a long time ago and before I knew what was going on I found a bunch of sand in my crankcase. I was pretty dissapointed obviously. If you try those rings, for sure make sure the filter snaps in and feels secure on its own.

I like the stock clamp bands too. They put the pressure to a smaller area, so pressue will increase across that clamped spot for the same amount of torque than a wide band. You shouldn't have to torque them down too hard though. The box plastic is pretty stiff and a circle is relatively hard to crush if applying even pressure around it. You may be applying too much pressure. It shouldn't take the much to seal the rubber to the plastic. I also use some air filter rim grease on the mating surfaces to help the seal out and haven't had any problems lately.

bushwesl
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by All250R
I also use some air filter rim grease on the mating surfaces to help the seal out and haven't had any problems lately.

I also use a little grease around the surfaces to aide in sealing.

LONG-ROD
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I made a custom one from PVC pipe home depot works great, and you can make it the size you want, hope this helps someone.

07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bushwesl
I also use a little grease around the surfaces to aide in sealing.

I always use a little grease or oil and rub it around the part of the intake boot that sticks out so it gets a good seal, and even if its not a perfect seal the grease or oil will trap stuff.