PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Z-400... I need power!

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 08:48 AM
I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm a veteran rider with a 400 EX and happened to talk a friend into gettin a Z-400. He's very novice when it comes to quads but ****, a monkey can twist on the straights. I nearly fell asleep on the trails waiting for him, but later he cleaned my clock on the straights and now he's tellin' world how he's the man! Now I'm forced to dig in my pockets and get some go fast goodies to put this Rudy Poo in his place. I don't have time right now to take the motor apart for a piston kit cause we're still ridin' but I was thinking of either the X-6 pipe or the FCR 39 carb. I'm bone stock right now except for a 14 tooth front and Jet kit. Which should I get if I had $550 to spend? I need to beat this *********!

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 08:51 AM
If your running a 14th sprocket and he is running stock, he is always going to beat you in a long straight away. Simply because of the gearing.

But to answer your question, from what I have read here, most people can beat a stock Z with just an exhaust. But if I were you I would get the carb and a slip on. Then you should have no problem. But the X-6 is load as ****. I did get a differenct pipe if you don't have a built motor.

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I just ordered the Sparks X-6 Pipe. $490 to my door. Now I'm going to install this baby and my 15 tooth sprocket. If that doesn't kill the Z-400 I'll do the FCR 39 by Monday...

YZROOSTINYA
12-03-2002, 09:39 AM
just order all the motor parts and when they all come in do it in two days. then break it in and by the weekend he will be checking out you tail

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 10:40 AM
YZROOSTINYA, you're scarin' me. Are you saying that I won't be able to reel him in with the Sparks pipe? Oh no! My poor bank account!

oynot400
12-03-2002, 10:50 AM
I know what you mean, I have a buddy that thinks his machine is god's gift to the quad industry. He rides a C-dale, I personally don't have anything against the machine. I might have owned one if they were out when I got my 400ex. He is the same way, on the straight away he has all the bragging rights. But on a winding trail on a track he is eating my dust! :devil
I have spent a lot of money and did quite a bit of research to be able to do this. I don't want to tell you not to get a X-6 exhaust for your machine but I was told that a X-4 is better for a stock motor. The X-6 is more for the big bores. If you are planning on doing motor work in the future then I would get it. I would say a carb and pipe should be able to help you out with your Z problem. I think there is a Quicksilver for sale in the classified section now.
Good luck! :D

UglyMotha™
12-03-2002, 11:00 AM
you can beat a stock z with a pipe with ease my buddy has a z with a yosh pipe and rejetted and every time we race in a line i consistently beat him by 3 or 4 bike lengths he's running stock gearing and so am i the only difference i have is a shortend e series a aluminum airbox a k/n airfilter and removed choke and he still has the lid on his airbox and the stock filter so whatever i listed is what gives me the edge and it's the same outcome everytime no matter if we switch is bottom end hits harder than mine he'll pull by a couple lenths but on mid end i eat him up and then when we hit top were pretty much even so if he is completly stock and you have a pipe put your 15t sprocket back on and re'jet and you'll beat him easily

YZROOSTINYA
12-03-2002, 11:10 AM
personally i think the full exhaust is too much for a stock motor

i would say get a slip on and rejet, k and n.... see what happens. then try the old piston, bore, cam combo..

i have yet to race anything so i really coulnd't tell ya. i haven't been father than the field to get any competition

but when i had my 400 with the full exhaust ans stock motor i was getting beat by a completely stock 400 and he weighed 35lbs more than me. my was a 2002 and his was a beat 99. the full system took away power on my stock motor. no its a whole differant story

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 11:35 AM
Oynot: Yea, I'm going inside the motor on this baby because I'm bound to see a Craptor or Cannondale sooner or later so I feel this is the right pipe... Uglymotha: Most definitely I'll change back to my 15 tooth with the pipe and recomended jetting to try and rock this guy. YZROOSTINYA: It's too late for a slip on now, plus I need all the gusto I can get from this lethargic, outdated motor. My 400 is a '99 which has been beat to H#ll and back but I'm going to resurrect this Mother! I'll post my results...