PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable fuel/air screw?

speedracer350X
07-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Anyone run one on their machine? Intersted in putting one on mine ('07 450ER) instead of always trying to squeeze a screwdriver into small hard to reach places. I also understand my model years has a non'adjustable air/fuel screw from factory. I wonder why, obviously for emissions, but being a race type machine, you'd think they'd have it easy to access for adjustment, since it's part pf the jetting process. Does an HRC jetting kit come with an adj. fuel/air screw? Also, when your jetting, you have to adjust that screw while the machine is running, right? at least that's how I always did it. Thanks!!

07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUNLINE-AIR-FUEL-MIXTURE-SCREW-FCR-CARBS-TRX450r-450r_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el126 2QQcategoryZ43979QQihZ013QQitemZ230196915899QQtcZp hoto

Link to the one I got. Not included in the hrc jet kit. Has numbers on it to tell where it is. Dirtwheels just ripped all ajustable air screws to pieces though. Saying they hang down low and brake off and all this crap. For the price I would have to pay to get hondas stupid backwards wrench, I can just buy this. I set the screw to stock, then gave a half turn in, then half turn out. See how it reacts both ways, then go from there. When your looking at the schematic in the honda manual, it refers to it as the pilot screw and is located right next to the accelerator pump cover for reference. I could take a pic of mine if you want.

speedracer350X
07-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Do they mount/work fairly easy? Like you said and I agree, gotta be better than trying to squeeze a wrench in their. I also read Dirt Wheels article. I have a pipe that I'm soon gonna mount on my bike but I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I start. I did my 400EX a few years back when I put a silencer and A K@N on it, it was fairly easy, just time consuming due to the air/fuel screw location.

07-07-2008, 07:04 AM
You have to take all the plastics off, every fender nose piece etc. Then unbolt the airbox and slide it back. this allows you to freely rotate the carburetor upside down. Remove the bottom cover, then remove the old pilot screw, then put the cover on and screw in the new air screw. The only hard thing is it has a spring you have to compress as you screw it in. And you have to make sure all the o-rings stay in place, but it can easily be managed without taking your carb completley out. Once they are mounted they stick down far enough you can easily grab it with your fingers.

07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
i had one of those kind of a/f screws...they were nice, but when the motor is hot, ya have to be careful and then they are not as easy to adjust...i was going to buy one of these before i got rid of the 450r...

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/R_D_Racing_Flex_Jet_Remote_Fuel_Screw_p/59-1002.htm

warr72
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I have an aftermarket a/f screw and I cut mine down. Then had a friend of mine weld a small flat piece on the bottom of the a/f screw so I could get ahold of the damn thing. Cheaper to get the HRC wrench but be careful not to burn yourself why I threw the wrench in the garbage. But that little adjustment has proven critical to dialing the beast in. Just my .02 cents.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 11:09 AM
We have been using a new flexible fuel screw made by R&D it is remote located like the idle screw so it is very easy to get to. I have been really happy with the performance of this screw it has a smoother most consistant idle than any other screw we have used. Give us a call if you are interest in the lastest fuel screw technology. 402-614-2508

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
We have been using a new flexible fuel screw made by R&D it is remote located like the idle screw so it is very easy to get to. I have been really happy with the performance of this screw it has a smoother most consistant idle than any other screw we have used. Give us a call if you are interest in the lastest fuel screw technology. 402-614-2508

That sounds like a nice setup right there. I assume there is still nothing available for the 04/05 carbs though right?

Benjithx
07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah Colby, I want one

warr72
07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Hope you have a couple in stock cause I want one too. :) No more burns.

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Benjithx
Yeah Colby, I want one

I dont know that they would have them for the 04/05 carbs. Unless you put an FCR on that or something, I dont recall. I've yet to see an adjustable fuel screw for the 04/05 carb.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
If you guys would like one send me a pm with your info or give us a call :)

This will only work on FCR Carbs.

I haven't seen anything for the 04/05 carbs yet.

Benjithx
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Sweet! I have an FCR. How much are these bad boys?

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
$30 :)