PDA

View Full Version : Which Suspension to buy???

08450ER
07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey,

I'm thinking about the Houser suspension setup.. So many different setup's to choose from. Which one do I get? I don't race moto, but I do mainly fast trails and jumping? Do I get extended width or high ground height? What about shocks, Fox,elka,axis?? So many to choose.. Why dont fox have springs????

hondarider101
07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
fox run off air and are the best

08450ER
07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
So the fox air shocks are pretty much the best suspension you can get??? Better than elka and axis with the spring?? What is the benefit's of having no spring?

Also as far as A-arms? Which ones do I need for the type of riding I do?

Groves187
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I think you could get away with ST arms, But if you have the money i would run Lone Star DC-4 arms with PEP PB1 shocks.

08450ER
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Lonestar A-arms better quality than houser? I was looking at the xc's

hondarider101
07-05-2008, 09:10 PM
about the same quality

07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
fox run off air and are the best

are they the best because they are the best you know or have ridden? or have your tried all brands and types and determined they were best?

Groves187
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by hondarider101
i have ridden on all and did many test and have proven them and peps re the best so wehat do u think? im pretty sure u have no clue what ure talking about?

You said fox was the best in the post above and now your sain pep is the best???

hondarider101
07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
haha i ment fox and pep nah ive never riden on them just look around everyon who has willl tell u its fox and pep.

j_cyrus3
07-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't know of anyone running PEP shocks for trails or woods... Mostly axis,fox, and elka.

Maybe you should get your shocks rebuilt by gt thunder? Or do you just want long travel?

mx1791
07-06-2008, 12:04 AM
houser/axis :D haha

esr250r86
07-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I like my fox alot...but I like my axis alot too.idk.I prefer my fox tho cuz theyre so adjustable..its nice

WB450r
07-06-2008, 10:29 AM
i like my lt smc/motowoz setup...

skyeryder
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
If your not gonna be racing, look in to a Gt Thunder rebuild can save you some cash and they can make a stock shock as good as most aftmkt ones. Make sure you get a rear xc or mx link they make a huge difference. If you really want aftmkt I've had great results with AXIS, never ridden on Fox's yet.... A-arms are pretty much your choice Lonestar, Houser, Rath, JB, your gonna get a good quality product

TheNewn
07-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by 08450ER
Hey,

I'm thinking about the Houser suspension setup.. So many different setup's to choose from. Which one do I get? I don't race moto, but I do mainly fast trails and jumping? Do I get extended width or high ground height? What about shocks, Fox,elka,axis?? So many to choose.. Why dont fox have springs????

There are a lot of good options out there, but just make sure you do a lot of research before you drop down a couple or few thousand on suspension. Or any after market product for that matter.

And like others have said, if you're not really racing, and doing the fast trail riding/jumping like yourself, i'd go with Stock Rebuilds by C&D Racing or GT Thunder. Both could work magic on the stock shocks, and its MUCH cheaper.

Depending on y our type of trails (tight woods? Open fire roads?) you could get some standard travel +1" a-arms or +2" arms and have the stockers rebuilt for them.

Remember, do a lot of research and reading on forums like these before you buy.

Derrick Adams
07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Don't mean to offend anyone here, but I personally wouldnt think that Fox Floats would be good on a trail bike. Everyone here local runs them and I know that as air becomes cold and warm the pressure changes. I just wouldnt think that someone would want to adjust their shocks every time they want to ride their trail bike.

07-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
Don't mean to offend anyone here, but I personally wouldnt think that Fox Floats would be good on a trail bike. Everyone here local runs them and I know that as air becomes cold and warm the pressure changes. I just wouldnt think that someone would want to adjust their shocks every time they want to ride their trail bike.

So they must be like tires, if its warm outside my tires are how I want them, but then we get a cold front and it warms back up again before my next ride and my tires are as hard as a rock. So then I have to adjust the pressure again. No big deal but if I had to keep doing that with shocks too man that wouldnt be fun.

07HRC450R
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
i like my stock suspension!:D lol jk:blah:

D Bergstrom
07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams

I run them on my trail quad. I do adjust them before every ride, but I check alot of things before every ride. (Chain, oil, tire pressure, etc.) Takes a extra 5 - 10 minutes at the most, not really a big deal.

I would agree with others. If not racing, just get rebuilds. If you are racing, or have the money to burn, then go full aftermarket.

Doug

bcg717
07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
hey cassidy,
There is a guy just up in canton that runs +1's with stock rebuilds and loves them for trails. He races a pretty good bit of XC's a year and has no complaints.

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I run stock rebuilds for MX. I dont see too many high flow pistons in aftermarket shocks, which my rebuilds have....

Dave400ex
07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
The Fox pressures do not change as much as everyone thinks. The change is from a BIG change in temperature. Most people I have talked to said they change very little.

s_brown06
07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
i have got +1 ars-fx long travel a arms and longtravel quad rate elkas and love the setup

08450ER
07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
understanding the measurements, when you say +1 or +2 does that mean its 2inches wider total that stock or 2 inches wider on each side so 4 inches total?

s_brown06
07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
its +1 on each side xc set up

07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I think rebuilds are the way to go unless you can afford a nice long travel setup. For my 400ex i'm on a budget and I do a lot of trail riding at times pretty agressivly and i love to jump. I have the stock 450r fronts and they work well when setup right but revalves are the route I chose to take. Also i will continue to run stock a-arms because they are so much cheaper to replace is you hit a tree, stump, rock than aftermarket. But once again if you have the cash for a nice setup why not.

HBRIG014
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I LOVE MY.... FOX SHOX AND HOUSER SLICAST LT A-ARMS.....i wouldn't have anything different... I race MX. And do some trail riding..

08450ER
07-09-2008, 03:54 PM
but whats the difference in the long travel houser and the max clearance arms? Which is better?and when you lower the bike with long travel how does it have more travel in the shocks if you lower its stance?

Dave400ex
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Nothing actually. The max clearance arms are long travel, they just have the extra clearance for XC racing. I believe all of Houser arms including the MX are now max clearance.

TheNewn
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Get Max ground clearance arms if you need just that...ground clearance...If you ride in rough rocky/rutted terrain then you need as much ground clearance as you can get so you don't screw some things up.

If you don't need that, then get regular long travel.

Shock companies can lower your 'ride hight' of the quad by using something similar to Elka's "SSD" or Self Sagging Device ( i think is what it stands for).

Basically what this is, is a small spring on top of the triple or quad rate shocks that is fully compressed with just the quad/riders weight on the bike. Then say for example you're throwing your quad off some jumps or your going through some whoops and the tires leave the ground. This small spring on top then expands and lets the wheels travel away more (maybe like 2 inches) so when you go to land that jump or hit the next whoop, your shock uses the extra travel gained by this.

So basically it lets your ride hight (all 4 wheels on the ground) be lowered, but when the tires leave the ground, they extend to give you more travel for the landing.

I guess you could say when the quad is just sitting there, with this type of set up, its sitting with the shocks already 'in' their stroke a couple inches.

08450ER
07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks!! That helps out alot! So what kind of suspension setup are the gncc quad racers running. I would think max ground clearance because they have to tackle so serious stuff!!

TheNewn
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I Cant help you there, don't race GNCC, but i imagine max clearance arms certainly couldn't hurt.

Stock rebuilds with max clearance arms seems like a nice combo.

bah1491
07-12-2008, 02:58 PM
OHLINS

woodsracer144
07-19-2008, 10:27 PM
ARS FX and AXIS hands down isa great set up.. or the front end on bill balances quad is sweet!

Joetrx
07-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I have try a lot of set-up...

RP Évolution / PEP PB1
Walsh / Fox x evol
Walsh flow / Fox DSC
LSR / Elka factory
Roll design / Elka
Stadium suspension
RP évolution / Elka
ATV4PLAY / Fox / PEP PB1

I think that the best match that you can do is to put Roll-design A-Arm with Elka factory, Fox or Stadium. Walsh also have pretty good A-Arm.