PDA

View Full Version : Electrical short on Headlight switch??

NeonImpact
07-05-2008, 04:48 PM
So its been almost a year since I rode my 400, but I decided to pull her out of the garage the other day for a spin.

She ran fine, I did my normal tune ups and everything as usual but I ran across one problem.

I noticed when I switch my headlight switch from high beam to low beam or vice versa, it blows the main fuse by the battery.

Anyone ever have this problem before or know of a quick solution? I dont even know where to begin to look for a shortage.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

hornetgod13
07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
This is common in the 1999 to 2004 models. It's a wire harness chaffing the frame and shorting out just behind the head light assembly. Start at the lights and work your way back. You'll find it.

rideracelivemx7
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
id say save your self the patience and pull off the plastics in the front. obv. the read becuase it takes all of .2 seconds and search for a fried or bitten wire. if youi say its been a god year. them ******* squirles will bite wirres. the *******s did that to my 89 srv540 sled. and if that's not it then id say a melted wire somewere is ground out. can't be much more I don't belicve

NeonImpact
07-06-2008, 12:09 AM
thanks alot guys.. I do have the 2004 model so ill pull the front plastics off tomorrow and start looking..