PDA

View Full Version : beadlocks?

TrapZ400
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Im going to be buying new tires and wheels soon but I don't know if I should get beadlocks or just plain wheels. I race motocross and practice on mx tracks a couple times a week. I don't race alot. I only do a couple races a season. Right now I have enough money to get maxxis razr mx tires and plain wheels. Should I just buy the tires and wheels now and go race or save up more money and get the beadlocks?

Thanks

mx1791
07-05-2008, 03:37 PM
keep saving money and get beadlocks you wont regret it

dustin_j
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree, you might try to find some used beadlocks to save some money.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with the beadlocks on the rear

I have a set of 8" itp T9 beadlocks that I don't use anymore if you are interested.

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Std fronts (.190"s) should be OK, for the rear you will definitely want beads.

Where in NY are you from?

TrapZ400
07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing

I have a set of 8" itp T9 beadlocks that I don't use anymore if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer! But I am planning on getting them somewhere else.

TrapZ400
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Std fronts (.190"s) should be OK, for the rear you will definitely want beads.

Where in NY are you from?

Oneida. Its about 30 minutes from Syracuse.

400exrider707
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
Oneida. Its about 30 minutes from Syracuse.

No kidding, I'm right in morrisville. You have any good places to ride over there? PM me...

Now that I think about it, I may have a set of rear beadlocks I'd be willing to sell. 8x8 burgard beads with stealth black powdercoated rings by Pappy. I'd have to check to see if my buddy wanted them first. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

ohsobad_chevy
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Colby, are they 4/110?

Colby@C&DRacing
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
they are 4/110

ohsobad_chevy
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
they are 4/110

Darn it, I thought you rode a honda, but I need 4/115 for my YFZ. Just thought I would ask. Thanks anyway. :)

250rmike
07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
i got a question. why are all you guys telling him to get beadlocks? hes just a weekend warrior at the track and im guessing he rides trails or mx when hes not racing. i can see getting stronger wheels for racing but beadlocks. i dont know him personally so i dont know how hard he rides. do you lower the tire pressure at you races or have you ever broken a bead at a race or riding. if not i think just some reinforced wheels would be good or even some itp rolled edge. both wheels are very stong the reinforced is stronger. the only reson to run beadlocks is if you are breaking beads

deathman53
07-19-2008, 04:26 PM
there are other reasons for beadlocks. I have beadlock front and rear rims, makes for so much easier tire changes, especailly hyper dual beadlocks rears. I have bent regular rims doing trails and light mx. I know a guy who had those ITP baja rims, he bent them doing mx and open trails. I have 2 sets of rear ITP t-9's I bent doing mx and trails. Never popped a bead off the rim, I know without beadlocks, some the of full lock powerslides I've done on my trikes would have. I can feel the tire folding over and judging by pictures that were taken of them, beadlocks did their job.

The price difference between those reinforced rims and beadlocks isn't too much. There are power seller on ebay that can get you cf1 beadlocks for almost the same price as reinforced rims.

07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
yeah I see some crazy tire roll at times and those with beadlocks have no problems. Is it necesary to have dual beadlock though? I mean it seems like extra weight to me. I managed to bend my stock front wheels and i havent hit the mx track yet lol I was told I probally ran too low of a tire pressure and the small jumps that i did hit bent it.

250rmike
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
yes they do make tire changes easier but only if you have duals with single beadlocks you still need a bead breaker. and yes forsome dual beadlocks are a necessity. let see what kind of riding he does first and if he has ever bent a rim badly enough to need tougher rims. it all depends on the rider and what style they ride i am just trying to help him make the right decision for his riding needs and make sure he needs beadlocks and doesnt just like the look or see's the pro's running them and want them because of that. lets hear what he has to say. and please dont get affended by what im saying trapz400 just trying to lend a hand from what i know as is everyone else. only you caan make the decision on which is right for you

BlaineKaiser450
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
i personally love my douglas beads! :macho