PDA

View Full Version : runnin open header

bets400ex
07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
had to do it. Sounded nasty, would love to run it like that all the time. i bet my neighbors loved it. probably not good for the engine but thats the risk you take, f it.

trx310R#24
07-05-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah it can mess your engine up in time but whatever

Thumper1220
07-06-2008, 07:06 AM
yeah i hear it's not good for the valves with no backpressure but i see a lot of ppl do it and their motors are still running so get r done

pro-rider46
07-06-2008, 07:18 AM
i know a lot of people do it on crotch rockets

bets400ex
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
good times(alan jackson)!

rooster300ex
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Naw it won't hurt it. You might wear your engine out faster because you wanna hear the sound that it makes more often lol. Other then that just as long as the header is pretty long you won't have any trouble.

Drewltr450
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Look at the choppers u see on the street they run straight pipes no mufflers no nothing just a straight pipe. and i dont think it hurts them? does it?

jeepthing07
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
I would think the loss of back pressure would hurt your performance and just make it sound like *****. not to mention probably melt the fender

John451
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I made a pipe for my 300 and it was basically a straight pipe. It Sounded sooo nasty it made it have so much lowend. The engine ran alot hotter so your only worry would be seizage back pressure only decides how much restriction the piston has so it makes more hp but w/e it was fine without it. I loved it, as did my neighors lol. I just took the silencer off and put the one i made on it. The cut on the end makes all the sound and power. Cut it at a 45 degree angle and file it round. Good luck! Break the peace!!

bets400ex
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by jeepthing07
I would think the loss of back pressure would hurt your performance and just make it sound like *****. not to mention probably melt the fender

not even close to the fender chief. go hang out in your chrysler and wait for it to break down, wont be long trust me.

bwamos
07-10-2008, 08:13 AM
You lose backpressure from not having a silencer.

That's not what screws up the valves. It is the fact that people don't rejet for the change in airflow is what causes people to burn up their valves. ;)

A strightpipe is fine (performance wise) as long as it is a properly tuned pipe. Otherwise it is just plain noisy and annoying.

bets400ex
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Guess what, got the header off without removing the oil tank chief, nice try though!

bets400ex
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Look out though i got a 426, whats that another 3 hp? whoopity doo!

07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
i ran my 3 wheeler without a header b4, it was shooting blue flames about 6 inches long out of the motor, i thought i went deaf

01exrider 281
07-10-2008, 11:40 PM
if the bike was ment to be run on a header then the companies building the and making the bikes would no waste time putting a muffler on it. yea someone will say they do it for noice but i cant see the power diff being better. i tried it once on my yz85. i ran it down the track with the silencer on and ran 61 point somethin mph. next run i did it with silencer off and ran a 59 point somethin mph and nearly lost my hearing. i just dont see why you wouldnt just leave it on. i guess if u jetted it you would be alright but still why be a d*** and piss ppl off with a loud quad.

sideways
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
keep the silencer on, and help the rest of us keep our sport in good standing with the public eye. if anything, make it quieter wiwthout restricting exhaust flow. ( fmf q series)

jeepthing07
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by bets400ex
Look out though i got a 426, whats that another 3 hp? whoopity doo!

jealous much? if it bothers you that much that mines faster than your's you might want to upgrade your full flame decal and seat kit. i hear its worth 4 HP :D

or you could just be a hillbilly and run it without a silencer cause loud = more power don't you know? :devil:

400exrider707
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I find it humorous that people think they're quad is faster or has more "low end" now that they took the silencer off. Simply amazing what a little noise will do to trick the brain.

Thanks for wrecking the sport for the rest of us who are smart enough to leave our silencers on and have our quads faster...

I had a buddy who took the silencer off of his RC51 and ran open header because it "sounded cool" He put it back on after he lost nearly 30mph or more of top speed because of it.

k4f5x0r
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
take pics when it explodes :D

John451
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Lol ya. Mine actually made some lowend because of how i made the pipe. I just ran it to experiment cuz my neighbors were away. I had it on for maybe 20 mins then i was like ok this sucks. I coudlnt keep the front end down with that but still it wasnt in a good way. I ran open header today cuz my expansion chamber on my blaster flew off when i was riding it lol but only for one lap on a small flat track then i headed in to put it back on.

Hondamaster5505
07-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I just don't understand.

Running without a muffler is pointless. If it gave power, whats the point in aftermarket silencers?

You idiots take the muffler off, have it sound like chit, but think your cool because it loud as piss (which pisses people off and ruins our sport) and loses power. The gain is all in your head.

So please, do the world a favor, and dont be a dumbass, invest in an aftermarket pipe or put the stock on.

pro-rider46
07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I just don't understand.

Running without a muffler is pointless. If it gave power, whats the point in aftermarket silencers?

You idiots take the muffler off, have it sound like chit, but think your cool because it loud as piss (which pisses people off and ruins our sport) and loses power. The gain is all in your head.

So please, do the world a favor, and dont be a dumbass, invest in an aftermarket pipe or put the stock on.

you could have gotten the point across with out calling everyone a dumass. think about it tough guy.

Hondamaster5505
07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
you could have gotten the point across with out calling everyone a dumass. think about it tough guy.

true. Sorry, having a really rough night:o

sorry i jumped. but it is dumb to run your quad without a silencer.

01exrider 281
07-11-2008, 10:20 PM
jealous much? if it bothers you that much that mines faster than your's you might want to upgrade your full flame decal and seat kit. i hear its worth 4 HP :D

or you could just be a hillbilly and run it without a silencer cause loud = more power don't you know? :devil:

and if you pop in a set of piston return springs, 3 muffler bearings, and a kinibler pin that is at least 7, and if u splurge for the linkless cam chain ur good for at least another 2 so that is 9 hp.

Black R/T
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
actually, running without a silencer/muffler, (WITH A PROPER FUEL MIXTURE!!!!) does make whatever you drive have more power. taking the silencer off without a change in fuel delivery will lean your mixture, causing your engine to run hotter and eventually fail.

why else would almost EVERY drag racing vehicle run their engines that way???????

i keep mine on, its better for the sport. and my hearing...

bets400ex
07-13-2008, 12:46 AM
For everyones info i took the muffler off to get the header off so that i could get the header powder coated. When i trook the muffler off i wanted to see what it would sound like, by the way i do run a muffler, im not that big of a dildo, thanks

John451
07-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, lol it is a dumb idea to run it without it but it can add hp but in a local area it's not worth it. It ruins the sport. I waited til the neighbors were on vacation to experiment. Without it, it really adds to lowend by taking away the topend. But the muffler helps destibute and add overall power. In the long run, it's better to run with a pipe. For noise and power factors.

Aceman
07-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by bets400ex
im not that big of a dildo, thanks

So, you're just a lil' dildo then?:huh

John451
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
lol

bets400ex
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
So, you're just a lil' dildo then?:huh

Theres always got to be a funny man out there right?