PDA

View Full Version : My new EX

razer
12-03-2002, 02:14 AM
I just bought a '02 400EX. The guy has only one ride on it, and it's about $500 - $600 less than what I would have had to pay an '03 400EX. Plus I'm getting a new set of paddles and an aftermarket pipe (I'll sell it) thrown in.

Anyay, I just cut a check to buy the following parts. A guy I know will do the work. Tell me what you think:

440 Big Bore kit
Triple Works Shocks - front and back
A Arms - 2+ inches
Big Gun Pipe
Rear Blue Axle
IPT 190 wheels
Power kit - (jet kit and filter)
Pro taper bar
Universal Clamp
Rev Unlimiter - my guy is advising me to go with the rev unlimiter for the 225XR or whatever other 2 stroke they make, something about 1000 extra RPM's. He's the expert so I said no problem.
Block off plate
New clutch Perch

I may do a Swingarm next, but I've been told that it doesn't give you the performance for price ratio I'm after. And I may need the extra weight on the back to keep it down.

Also, my guy wants to cut the fenders. Since there's no mud out here (Arizona desert), I don't see a problem with it. Any opinions on that? I like to be protected from rocks hitting me in the face though.

I should have it all done by the end of the month. The guy who's building it says it will be as good as anything out there, at least for what I want. I ride trails, and may start doing a little MX type riding. Don't really do dunes -- too far to travel for my taste.

What do you think? Any mod I may have forgotten that has a lot of bang for the buck?

I'm considering Derf bars because I'm a dirt bike rider by nature, and it's second nature for me to put my feet down. I know that's the best way for a broken leg. Any input?

4punksdad
12-03-2002, 04:17 AM
If you are still inclined to plant your heel in the corners (we all did it the first time) then I would suggest you ride the stock ex before you dump a pile of money into it. Its tough to get your money out of aftermarket parts if and when you decide to sell it. have fun with it....

razer
12-03-2002, 04:21 AM
I rode a stock 400EX once and just didn't do it for me. My friend has a few modifications and it's a fun bike, but I think it would be more fun if it was faster (and lighter). I like the feeling that I have more bike than I can handle as opposed to not enough.

That's the way I feel with my 250CR dirt bike and I want it with a quad too.

4punksdad
12-03-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by razer
I rode a stock 400EX once and just didn't do it for me. My friend has a few modifications and it's a fun bike, but I think it would be more fun if it was faster (and lighter). I like the feeling that I have more bike than I can handle as opposed to not enough.

That's the way I feel with my 250CR dirt bike and I want it with a quad too.

if thats the case I suggest a 250R, tecate 4, quadracer or a cannondale.

The 440's i have ridden didn't impress me like any R or cannondale.

razer
12-03-2002, 04:35 AM
I was originally going to go with a 250R, but after weighing everything, I decided against it. I'm not a motorhead and don't enjoy the maintenence involved with 2 strokes. That's why I'm going with the 4 stroke. But I need it to be fast and fun.