PDA

View Full Version : 08 drr50 dies

diablo14
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
after it runs full throttle for very long it dies like it is running out of gas. i check the fuel filter and fuel line and it seems to be fine. after it dies if u try to start it as soon as it dies it wont start but if you give in 15-20 sec it starts and runs fine it has a 110 main jet and stock pilot. the float is not sticking.... plug is brown and i am lost...

thanks Ed

Full Throttle00
07-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I have 2 ideas.
1st loosen up the gas cap then try it. If that solves your problem, it most likely is your cap air vent creating an air lock suction.
2nd Possible electrical your CDI may have gone bad, check to make sure your stator pick up is clean, add more ground points.

diablo14
07-04-2008, 01:02 PM
im sure everything is clean it has never been dirty and is only a couple weeks old.... im will try the cap thing and go from there thanks

coffing918
07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
IF YOU HAVE THE STOCK KILL SWITCH ON CHANGE IT ,, MY SONS 2008 DRX 50 WAS DOING THE SAME THING SO WAS MY SISTERS APEX,, IT SOUNDS STUPID BUT JUST DO IT ,,, FIRST JUST DISCONNECT IT AND TRY IT OUT IF THATS THE PROBLEM THROW IT OUT AND BUY A NEW ONE.. THE LITTLE BUTTON INSIDE FLUTTERS MAKING THE QUAD SEEM TO BE BOGGING AND LEADING YOU TO BELEIVE ITS A JETTING PROBLEM.

diablo14
07-05-2008, 08:10 AM
its not the tank its not the kill switch so is there any way to test the cdi? we were planning on his first race tomorrow =-(

THARNESS
07-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Ours did the same thing several times when it had the OKO carb. I switched to the sunworld and the problem was fixed.
Good luck.

hotquads1
07-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by diablo14
after it runs full throttle for very long it dies like it is running out of gas. i check the fuel filter and fuel line and it seems to be fine. after it dies if u try to start it as soon as it dies it wont start but if you give in 15-20 sec it starts and runs fine it has a 110 main jet and stock pilot. the float is not sticking.... plug is brown and i am lost...

thanks Ed
the symptoms you are desribing, are more consistent with a lean condition than electrical, either starving for fuel supply or too lean of mixture . It can be as simple as the gas cap air vent hose being kinked or obstructed . First test fuel supply , un screw float bowl drain screw and let gas flow freely, if after 30 seconds or so you see a decrease in volume of flow then you most likely have a vacuum or venting issue. If the problem is consistent then ride bike and make it happen , as bike begins to stall apply choke to on position and see if this is an improvement, if it is then jetting and adjustments are suspect. Let us know which carb you have ?
if this is an OKO carb then put a 120 main and pray for the best.
marc

diablo14
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
i have a sunworld carb on the way!!! it has the oko on it now. i had a 120 in it and went back to the stock 110 and still nothing either way im hoping the new carb is the solution as i checked fuel flow already. i have heard the oko carbs are crap

bulldogfallon
07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Run the quad and when it dies remove the nut from the bottom of the float bowl.

You should see fuel run out....if only a little comes out and then it stops you have a vaccum/vent issue.

Sunworld is a better choice IMO anyway

diablo14
07-06-2008, 07:30 AM
i tried running it with the gas cap off also so i don't know what the issue is im hoping the new carb fixes it

snowbalz
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
check the float level, this is a common problem of these carbs

jread14
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by snowbalz
check the float level, this is a common problem of these carbs

I second this.... I have had this issue and it was the float level...

forgiven
09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
That is what it was and it was fixed the last time I talked to him.