PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket questions

Gatekeeper
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I am in need of a new rear sprocket. Do I want steel or aluminum?What brands should I look for.
Im also going to replace my front while Im at it. But should I also change my chain?
Its a DID o-ring about 10 mos. old, has not stretched at all since after breaking in, it is not binding or anything but i noticed some light shiny marks on the driveside of the side plates where it started rubbing on the sprocket, is this a big deal? I dont want to eat up a new set of sprockets, but dont want to $$$ for a new chain if I dont have to!
Ive been looking at the primary drive sprockets and chains. Any feedback?

Im woods/hillclimber, no MX

Thanks

bets400ex
07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
if i were you i would just go with the factory sprockets. As far as the chain goes ive heard alot guys runnin non o ring chains as well as myself with no problems and they are half the price.

speedfoxracing
07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
i would go with steel sprocket and a x-ring chain. moose or really any other name brand or stock is fine

CarGuy7a
07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
i just put a primary drive brand rear sprocket on mine. it looks identical to my factory gear.

if your looking for longevity of the gears go with steel. aluminum wears quicker but are good for racing since they're lighter.

Wheelie
07-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Definitely go with steel. I have a Renthal Aluminum rear on mine, and it's going to need to be replace after the riding season is over. Pretty bad for $55. Nice sprocket, lifespan sucks.

mooseracerX
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Or if you have the money go with Sidewinder. They have a sprocket out now that is has a lifetime warranty.