PDA

View Full Version : clutch set up 07 z 90

rmuscle
07-04-2008, 06:58 AM
can any one give me an idea on the best clutch set up i can run on 2007 z 90 [sprin sizes , roller weights , ect]
thanks

lkrislong
12-16-2008, 12:07 AM
the only place ive found doing any mods to this thing is ct racing im going to give them a call tomorrow see what they have to say

LT80
12-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Unless you do motor work, Clutch mods won't do much. :(
Yoshimura makes a pipe for it.

I'm itching to get into a Z90 motor.

lkrislong
12-21-2008, 08:46 AM
yeah ive found alot of pipes for them but thats about it everyone says the platform is too new you got me
but lt80 as soon as you do keep me posted ill follow your lead lol
everyone says ctracing has a few upgrades and i read were they built a nice racer out of it
but ive email them and called and got nothing, when i call the voice mail was for home improvement maybe thats their other company lol

thequadfather+2
03-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I know this thread is a little old but I just wanted to add to it a little. We race arena cross, my 8 year old boy rides an 07 Z90 and my 5 year old just moved up from his Z50 to a 90 this year. I have bee working with the the 07 for a while. Basicly I had the mods CT done when the article came out. I did not have the clutch mods they were talking about due to my limited experience with CVT tunning.

The quad has a yoshi pipe and is rejetted, Works shocks all the way around, 1 1/2 spacers in the front and 2" in the rear, wheels and tires just like the DRR and Apex's. It also has the air inlet mod (hole cut in the cover) and the CT racing (Dynatek) CDI box.

1. The CDI box was the one from CT racing. I had one straight from Dynatek but when I put it on and raced the 08.....There was no difference. My opinion, waste of money and is junk. Get the one from CT, it is a Dynatek unit but has adjustable settings and works well. It does increase the top speed.

2. The works shocks are great. They are worth the money and make the quad so much easier to ride.

3. the spacer and wheel/tire combo was also worth the money. I went with the little snow hog tires for the rear and they worked well.

4. the pipe is yoshi and sounds freakin awesome:devil:. Since I opened up the exhaust I figured we might as well open the air box and let it get some air. I rejetted the main only and it is perfect.

5. I played with the clutch a little. I took 3 rollers out and that didnt work. It took so much off the top speed, just killed it. That mod works great on the Z50 but not the 90. I put 2 rollers back in and left 1 out. I dont recomend that but I havent had any problems with it. The season is now over so I will be putting the last roller back in.

I have spoke with Chris at Suzuki of Paris. He is very helpful and wanted to see the little Suzuki do well. He crossed the front sproket (rm 125) for me and sent a bigger one. We were thinking of doing that and playing with the rollers again but I ran out of testing time. He offered to work on the clutch but we couldnt squeeze it in durring our race schedule. Allan at CT said he will have the clutch mods ready this spring.

In the end our Z90 was competitive. We won the championship. We took 7 wins out of 22 races and (8) 2nd place finishes along with a few 3rd's. We had 5 wins over a highly modded TRX90, Scott K motor, Elka's and the works...There were serveral DRR's, Apex's and the mighty Cobra. A girl rode an Apex several races and was average. She showed up at the last race on a new Cobra and blistered everyone. The gate usually had 6-10 quads. We usually got a good hole shot and was near the front going into the first turn.

It still needs head work, maybe lighten the flywheel and clutch work, it desperately needs dual a-arms. The bump steer is bad, mostly from the increased travel from the new shocks and spacers. The biggest problem is that there are just no aftermarket parts.....

The Z90 will stay around our house as a play bike....I have already ordered 2 DRR's for racing. I would like to make the Suzuki work but my pockets arent deep enough to be the test mule to get the bike where it needs to be.

airmobile101
03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
I know this thread is a little old but I just wanted to add to it a little. We race arena cross, my 8 year old boy rides an 07 Z90 and my 5 year old just moved up from his Z50 to a 90 this year. I have bee working with the the 07 for a while. Basicly I had the mods CT done when the article came out. I did not have the clutch mods they were talking about due to my limited experience with CVT tunning.

The quad has a yoshi pipe and is rejetted, Works shocks all the way around, 1 1/2 spacers in the front and 2" in the rear, wheels and tires just like the DRR and Apex's. It also has the air inlet mod (hole cut in the cover) and the CT racing (Dynatek) CDI box.

1. The CDI box was the one from CT racing. I had one straight from Dynatek but when I put it on and raced the 08.....There was no difference. My opinion, waste of money and is junk. Get the one from CT, it is a Dynatek unit but has adjustable settings and works well. It does increase the top speed.

2. The works shocks are great. They are worth the money and make the quad so much easier to ride.

3. the spacer and wheel/tire combo was also worth the money. I went with the little snow hog tires for the rear and they worked well.

4. the pipe is yoshi and sounds freakin awesome:devil:. Since I opened up the exhaust I figured we might as well open the air box and let it get some air. I rejetted the main only and it is perfect.

5. I played with the clutch a little. I took 3 rollers out and that didnt work. It took so much off the top speed, just killed it. That mod works great on the Z50 but not the 90. I put 2 rollers back in and left 1 out. I dont recomend that but I havent had any problems with it. The season is now over so I will be putting the last roller back in.

I have spoke with Chris at Suzuki of Paris. He is very helpful and wanted to see the little Suzuki do well. He crossed the front sproket (rm 125) for me and sent a bigger one. We were thinking of doing that and playing with the rollers again but I ran out of testing time. He offered to work on the clutch but we couldnt squeeze it in durring our race schedule. Allan at CT said he will have the clutch mods ready this spring.

In the end our Z90 was competitive. We won the championship. We took 7 wins out of 22 races and (8) 2nd place finishes along with a few 3rd's. We had 5 wins over a highly modded TRX90, Scott K motor, Elka's and the works...There were serveral DRR's, Apex's and the mighty Cobra. A girl rode an Apex several races and was average. She showed up at the last race on a new Cobra and blistered everyone. The gate usually had 6-10 quads. We usually got a good hole shot and was near the front going into the first turn.

It still needs head work, maybe lighten the flywheel and clutch work, it desperately needs dual a-arms. The bump steer is bad, mostly from the increased travel from the new shocks and spacers. The biggest problem is that there are just no aftermarket parts.....

The Z90 will stay around our house as a play bike....I have already ordered 2 DRR's for racing. I would like to make the Suzuki work but my pockets arent deep enough to be the test mule to get the bike where it needs to be.

Im kinda confused, your winnning on a Z90 and your son or daughter wins a championship . You have a minor issue with a-arms, so your rather buy two DRR'S instead of dumping a little money into the z90???
:huh

03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

What kind and where did you get the spacers?

thequadfather+2
03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Im kinda confused, your winnning on a Z90 and your son or daughter wins a championship . You have a minor issue with a-arms, so your rather buy two DRR'S instead of dumping a little money into the z90???
:huh

Well it's easy really....No aftermarket parts readily available. If you want to be the test mule for trial and error, it's gonna cost more than the DRR. Chris said he gets 1 call a month about working with the Z90 and 10 a week on the DRR. The market is there for the DRR and not the Z90. Products that are developed and tested, multiple suspension options, exhaust, motor options. You cant even buy a clutch upgrade kit for tunning the Z90's clutch.......What is so confusing about that. Right now my 8 year old son is making the Z90 do all it can, he is begining to ride harder than it is willing to go in its current form. He comes off the track with 3 inches of packed dirt in the fron bumper...It makes a good plow, no way to fix that with the current parts available.

The Z90 is a good bike, we have had fun on it and with a few mods will hang with the race quads on a small tight track like the indoor series. It will be an awesome trail quad in its slightly modded form..

thequadfather+2
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by p411m
What kind and where did you get the spacers?

The spacers are the stud type. I got them on Ebay.

I chose the 1 1/2 on the front because I was afraid the bump steer would be worse by getting the front wheels further apart. The back was 2 inches and it was perfect.

All the spacers came off Ebay...

LT80
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
What exactly are you looking to do with the clutch mods?
Out of the hole grunt?
Top speed increase?

"You cant even buy a clutch upgrade kit for tunning the Z90's clutch"

Possibly. Altho I'll bow to Chris' knowledge anyday. :)

airmobile101
03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Well it's easy really....No aftermarket parts readily available. If you want to be the test mule for trial and error, it's gonna cost more than the DRR. Chris said he gets 1 call a month about working with the Z90 and 10 a week on the DRR. The market is there for the DRR and not the Z90. Products that are developed and tested, multiple suspension options, exhaust, motor options. You cant even buy a clutch upgrade kit for tunning the Z90's clutch.......What is so confusing about that. Right now my 8 year old son is making the Z90 do all it can, he is begining to ride harder than it is willing to go in its current form. He comes off the track with 3 inches of packed dirt in the fron bumper...It makes a good plow, no way to fix that with the current parts available.

The Z90 is a good bike, we have had fun on it and with a few mods will hang with the race quads on a small tight track like the indoor series. It will be an awesome trail quad in its slightly modded form..
I see what your saying. He is pretty much taching the bike out to its limits. You know, I m sure that Dave Carter could come up with something for that front end.

thequadfather+2
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by LT80
What exactly are you looking to do with the clutch mods?
Out of the hole grunt?
Top speed increase?

"You cant even buy a clutch upgrade kit for tunning the Z90's clutch"

Possibly. Altho I'll bow to Chris' knowledge anyday. :)

Chris was probably the most informative person I have dealt with over the last 2 years. He offered to work on the CVT but it was in the middle of our season. I contacted him because we were getting drilled on the hole shot by the modded TRX90 (direct drive). He admitted it would cost a bunch of money because it was all new ground. He wanted to see someone take the Z90 and work it up. Allan at CT said he was working on a clutch kit but it wont be ready for a while.

I was looking for a slap on the ***** out of the hole without sacrificing much topend. With any motor work the CVT was gonna need more attention than changing the rollers.

I like the quad, both my sons like them. he was jumping, plowing the front end through the whoops and running the heck out of it and never once broke a single part. It's tough, we are not getting rid of them just gonna race a different machine.

I just thought I would offer up some experience with what worked and didnt work for us. It wasnt all that long ago the only topic being discussed on the Z90 was how to remove the speed limiter in the clutch. A friend of mine called Works two months ago and requested a set of SRS for his sons Z90 and they told him they did not make them. I had to give him the part number from my order and he got them in a couple of weeks. There's just not much going on in the market for this quad.

We are probably gonna run Pell City at the end of March, no way the Z90 would be ready to run with the national bikes. It would probably take another year to be that competitive.

I think the information about things like the CDI from Dynatek will be helpful for someone. I raced the 07 against the 08 atleast 10 different times. Everything was equal except the 07 had the Dynatek CDI. race after race they were equal. I even swapped back to the stock CDI and the quads were still dead even. THat same part number works for the Z50. I also tested the Dynatek CDI for the Z50 and it worked well, a noticeable difference. I swapped my 07 CDI from the 90 over to the Z50 and it ran the same as the Dynatek CDI. Yes, a stock 90 CDI will improve the 50. The CDI from CT is a Dynatek unit but is built to specs for CT and is a whole different item...It actually works. BTW, I did send the Dynatek unit back to them and had it tested, they returned it to me saying it passed their test and was working properly.

03-03-2009, 07:21 AM
I need something for the holeshot too...was going to try the roller weights but I guess I am going to have to wait for the clutch kit forom CT Racing

thequadfather+2
03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by p411m
I need something for the holeshot too...was going to try the roller weights but I guess I am going to have to wait for the clutch kit forom CT Racing

Chris suggested going up on the front sprocket and then taking weight out of the rollers....maybe a couple sizes larger and taking 3 rollers out would be something to try. It's just gonna be trial and error.

Three rollers pulled out of the Z50 with a new CDI worked perfectly. The CDI gave back the topend we robbed with the rollers. That didnt work on the 90.....I dont know why, it just didnt.

I have a sprocket at home that is one tooth bigger (probably not enough). I was going to take three rollers out and keep swapping the front sprocket out to a bigger size and use a GPS to measure the speed...I think Chris told me the RM 125 was the sprocket, he sent it to me.

if your enterested in testing that may be a good place to start.

good luck.

thequadfather+2
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is a video of both the 07 Z90 in complete stock form and the Z50 with a Dynatek CDI and three rollers out. The Z90 has a set of tires on the rear. Both Quads are yellow. This was over a year ago both kids were 7 & 4.

I will try to post a video of a race this year after all the mods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAA2qZ4b-Wg

03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Chris suggested going up on the front sprocket and then taking weight out of the rollers....maybe a couple sizes larger and taking 3 rollers out would be something to try. It's just gonna be trial and error.

Three rollers pulled out of the Z50 with a new CDI worked perfectly. The CDI gave back the topend we robbed with the rollers. That didnt work on the 90.....I dont know why, it just didnt.

I have a sprocket at home that is one tooth bigger (probably not enough). I was going to take three rollers out and keep swapping the front sprocket out to a bigger size and use a GPS to measure the speed...I think Chris told me the RM 125 was the sprocket, he sent it to me.

if your enterested in testing that may be a good place to start.

good luck.

ok...what year RM125? Do you know the stock front sprocket size on the z90?

thequadfather+2
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
The sprocket that Chris sent me is a 12 tooth sprocket which should be one tooth larger than what is on the Z90. I believe it crosses from the 06-07 rm 125. I have not even taken it out of the package so I cant say that I have tried it yet.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=5239&p=

This is where the sprocket came from and matches the part number on the package, I would try the #13 and #14 also.

Hope this helps.

thequadfather+2
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Here's a link for a video after the mods, mostly just practice and a few qualifiers. #18 yellow is the modded one, the yellow #17 just turned 5 so he is still in stock trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kInDseOoP5M

LT80
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Ya gotta love it! :D

03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Anyone get a clutch kit or get anything going for the holeshot yet?

thequadfather+2
03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
not me, sorry. We bought a couple of DRR's for racing and I havent played with the Z90 much since we rapped up our arena cross season at the end of Feb. My 5 year old flipped his 90 in the first week of March and broke the rear shock mount and bent the swing arm. The right wheel is touching the fender. Those quads are tough, thats the first thing we have broke since we have had them. Both of my little pilots are rough on them.