PDA

View Full Version : Pappy - need help, broken frame

quad2xtreme
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Pappy,

My 4th just went up in smoke...guess I will be tearing my quad down instead of riding. Was planning to race at Virginia Motorsports on Saturday too.

Do this think this can be fixed?

quad2xtreme
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
This is the other side...I can't tell if it is completely cracked all the way through but I suspect it is.

quad2xtreme
07-03-2008, 04:41 PM
guess I was better off when my upper subframe bolts kept snapping...geez, I lost 20 pounds too so I am only 185 now.

Pappy
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
not a prob jon..repair them almost daily

jherbie28
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
guess I was better off when my upper subframe bolts kept snapping...geez, I lost 20 pounds too so I am only 185 now.

is it time for that ltr jon?:p both upper frame rails on my kfx were snapped and kenny fixed them no problem, good as new

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Great to hear that Pappy. I was worried. I got the quad completely disassembled today. Found a few more cracks and one is even a hole that you can look down into the frame tube...

the opposite side of this tube is cracked too but just a hairline at this point.

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
and where the front shocks mount...left side

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
right side...

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 06:54 PM
better shots of the split upper frame...

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
other side...

quad2xtreme
07-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by jherbie28
is it time for that ltr jon?:p both upper frame rails on my kfx were snapped and kenny fixed them no problem, good as new

I finally decided to replace my stock chain after 2 years. I took it off with a dremel...only to discover the 2006 450r has 96 links when the 2005&2005 and the 400ex have 94. So, I didn't have a chain to put back on. I found one for $90 at the Suzuki/Kawi dealer about 5 miles from my house. I was looking at a 2008 ltr thinking...if that thing already had a set of nerf bars on it they would probably sell more of them. Then I go home only to find the cracked frame when changing the oil. Then I was really thinking that quad looked sweet but knew I couldn't ride it this weekend without nerf bars.

I almost threw all my stuff onto Connie's quad so I could go riding. It was good that I got it all disassembled though. It took longer than I figured. I had to deal with the seized swingarm bolt. I got it out cleanly so I was happy about that. I was pretty lucky. I managed to make the two cuts and pull the engine out. That gave me the room to knock the threaded end out. Then, I used the dremel to cut the bolt head off the other side and knock it out too.

/Jon

07-04-2008, 07:56 PM
jeez was that ramped off a cliff? how did it crack so much?

06YFZ450SE
07-04-2008, 11:27 PM
That sucks that happend. Frame cracked How does a frame crack like that. From wreaking or something. I check my frame all the time When I ride hard I havent wreaked it yet but I do jump my YFZ450 nothing to big..But some times I do land hard.

Ive looked everywhere I could see without taking my plastics..Will I be abel to tell if my frame cracks like how it drives or jumps.

trx310R#24
07-05-2008, 01:15 AM
dude you beat the **** out of that frame! lol

quad2xtreme
07-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
jeez was that ramped off a cliff? how did it crack so much?

Quad has never been upside down and only ridden in the trails for 15 minutes when it still had stock suspension. I've owned the quad for 2.5 yrs. Just lots of abuse on the mx tracks.

I am not sure how uncommon this is. From Pappy's post, I would say not too uncommon.

hardkoratvmxr
07-05-2008, 01:37 AM
its isnt uncommon at all. there are many factors that could come into play for a frame to crack. hard landings (good suspension or not), material defects, stress points, and so on. I would just say to keep an eye on it more often once you get it fixed. just a general overview like after you get done washing it

quad2xtreme
07-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
That sucks that happend. Frame cracked How does a frame crack like that. From wreaking or something. I check my frame all the time When I ride hard I havent wreaked it yet but I do jump my YFZ450 nothing to big..But some times I do land hard.

Ive looked everywhere I could see without taking my plastics..Will I be abel to tell if my frame cracks like how it drives or jumps.

I've never wrecked the quad where it rolled and never hit a tree or another quad with it. I have cased more than a jump on it though and landed far enough forward once that the front bumper kissed the dirt. :eek2: I really didn't think too much about it since it didn't bend the aluminum bumper.

I definitely recommend visually checking the frame more often. I know I plan too now since I couldn't tell it was cracked at all. Once the frame cracks up like this, the engine is the only thing holding everything together...not the design Honda intended I am sure. :D Looking at a few of the cracks, I would say they were there for quite a few rides at the track. I shudder to think about what I was jumping the last few times I was at the track...2 jumps I hit pinned in 3rd gear...and a true 75' jump I hit in 4th or 5th.

I am way more concerned about a tie-rod end or balljoint snapping than my frame.

outacontrol
07-05-2008, 04:59 AM
i worked at a honda dealership for a while and i can say it is common to have your frame break on the top rails, seemed like all the ones we saw, thats where they were. that was a factor when i was looking for a new quad, but its an easy enough fix, just be glad you dont have a kfx!:devil:

JR3
07-05-2008, 10:02 AM
When i had my 450r it broke on those upper tubes constantly i just kept re welding wear it broke then it started breaking in more places then i bought a new frame and gusseted it b4 i sold the quad.

wvspeedfreak
07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes,it is very common for this to happen when you ride hard.Gusset the heck out of it Jon.

jherbie28
07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme I finally decided to replace my stock chain after 2 years.Â_ I took it off with a dremel...only to discover the 2006 450r has 96 links when the 2005&2005 and the 400ex have 94.Â_ So, I didn't have a chain to put back on.Â_ I found one for $90 at the Suzuki/Kawi dealer about 5 miles from my house.Â_ I was looking at a 2008 ltr thinking...if that thing already had a set of nerf bars on it they would probably sell more of them.Â_ Then I go home only to find the cracked frame when changing the oil.Â_ Then I was really thinking that quad looked sweet but knew I couldn't ride it this weekend without nerf bars.I almost threw all my stuff onto Connie's quad so I could go riding.Â_ It was good that I got it all disassembled though.Â_ It took longer than I figured.Â_ I had to deal with the seized swingarm bolt.Â_ I got it out cleanly so I was happy about that.Â_ I was pretty lucky.Â_ I managed to make the two cuts and pull the engine out.Â_ That gave me the room to knock the threaded end out.Â_ Then, I used the dremel to cut the bolt head off the other side and knock it out too./Jon

sucks dude either way. not bashing the hondas but they just have weak frames, they break all the time. look at it this way now you have the option of powdercoating;) or are ya just going to get kenny to fix it?

p.s. GO BUY THE LTR:D (there are a set of DG national series propeg nerfs for $120 on ebay but you cant ride without heel guards right?)

quad2xtreme
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jherbie28
sucks dude either way. not bashing the hondas but they just have weak frames, they break all the time. look at it this way now you have the option of powdercoating;) or are ya just going to get kenny to fix it?

p.s. GO BUY THE LTR:D (there are a set of DG national series propeg nerfs for $120 on ebay but you cant ride without heel guards right?)

I am going to send it to Kenny on Monday. I degreased it and got all the factory stickers off it today. I was trying to decide on a powdercoat color. I am probably going with silver as close to factory as possible. I wasn't even planning to have the subframe powdercoated.

Houser only powdercoating in black now. My a-arms need redone. The only reason I would have them do it is to keep the logos on it. I could have Kenny do it then red or black is open.

I was thinking of going with white or gold metallic for the frame and subframe with red a-arms. I really liked what Kenny did with Cody's Raptor using blue and white.

What do you think?

/Jon

AtvMxRider
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
White frame would look awesome Jon.

jherbie28
07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
white would look good, not so sure about the gold allthough it would be different:macho

im sure it will look good with whatever color you chose;)