PDA

View Full Version : uh oh look what i done now

Warrioreater400ex
12-02-2002, 09:46 PM
aight guys i took my 400 apart a little ways and ground the intake welds on the header off... however in doing so one of the studs broke off... i reinstalled the header with only one bolt on the right exhaust port. i cant feel any air flow coming from it... and i have been keeping it tight. it didnt break off all the way but just enought that i cant get the bolt started good, so it still has some leverage. do you think its alright or should i get a new stud?

JOEX
12-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Get a new stud.

Joe

phatswinn
12-03-2002, 11:48 AM
have fun egttin it out too! happened to me, it was a pain in the arse, 3 e-z outs later i got it off

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Stupied question. Why did it break? Were the bolts siezed up in there or what? I ask, because I have been thinking about doing mine.

12-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Wait till ya remove the swingarm pivot bolt...:devil

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Wait till ya remove the swingarm pivot bolt...:devil

I checked mine the other day, and it moved real easy. But I am still going to take it out and grease it again, soon. But since my quad is already up on blocks, I am in no hurry.

12-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

I checked mine the other day, and it moved real easy.

do ya mean you could turn it or you could actually push it out the other side?? Mine would turn with no problem,,trying to push it out was a different story..:( this pic should help ease your mind on how easy it is to get out :eek: ...LMFAO

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
I did not try to push it out. Just turned the bolt. But since my quad is only 6 months old, I don't see it being a big as deal as yours. I hope.

Don't scare me will ya, don't want to have to spend the $10 to get your's and Jeff's special trick. Since you won't give it to me for free. I thought we bonded at H/M.

Sparks425Ex
12-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Man Rico. How did yours get stuck in there like that. I took mine out just before winter and it popped right out. No problem. I could pull it out with my hands if i tried hard enough.

WHat kinda pivit bolt are you using now.

12-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I did not try to push it out. Just turned the bolt. But since my quad is only 6 months old, I don't see it being a big as deal as yours. I hope.

Don't scare me will ya, don't want to have to spend the $10 to get your's and Jeff's special trick. Since you won't give it to me for free. I thought we bonded at H/M.

Well with it bein 6 months old I HIGHLY suggest pulling it out and greasing the he11 out of it or send me $10 for the secret..:D

nacs425,,I'm using another stock pivot bolt with the quadshop mod done to it so i don't have to worry about it happening again..:D

Doibugu2
12-03-2002, 01:07 PM
Jeff, where you at, I send it to you for $8.

:D

breaks-alot
12-04-2002, 08:48 AM
A little off topic but I have the same phone as you Rico. I like how you left it on your air box when working on it. ;) And about the bolt what worked for me is that I put a jack under my motor and lifted up the motor a little bit and it came right out with a little help from a really long Phillips screwdriver and a hammer.

CBW
12-04-2002, 08:59 AM
this is off topic also......

........i like the subframe rico,,,,,,,,,,,,

12-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by CHRIS WATERS
this is off topic also......

........i like the subframe rico,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah it looks even better up close..;) Lots O compliments on it chris I can tell ya that..:D

L.Vegas400
12-04-2002, 09:36 AM
once again o/t, i also have the same phone.:blah

12-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I'm using another stock pivot bolt with the quadshop mod done to it so i don't have to worry about it happening again..:D

what is that?

12-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
once again o/t, i also have the same phone.:blah

Dats the official quadshop phone,,not mine..:blah

motoboy66
12-05-2002, 01:00 PM
The stud in the head, if you heat up the head around it, the stud should turn right out. You might have to us chanel-locks to turn the stud, but it should work. As for the swing arm pivot, I recently did some engine work on a freinds 99 EX. It had been two years since the pivote had been out. It did not want to come out, so i used a slid-hammer to pull it out. Came right out in 2 minutes. This is a honda proublem, because my CR500 did the same thing. On that one i had to put treaded rod through it and then i hug the bike from the grage rafters using the pivot bold. It took three days of hanging and penatrating oil but it came out with no damage. If you have to hit the pivot, put the nut on it and hit the nut, a lot cheeper to replace the nut if it is damaged. I hope this will help.

Bean
12-05-2002, 04:11 PM
im about to weld mine on, it comes loose to much, haha

every few rides i remove mine, whipe it down, and cover it and the inside with grease, and insert er back in

Doibugu2
12-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Bean, try some loctite.

300exQuadracer
12-06-2002, 09:54 AM
yea or you could just tap the swingarm and put in some grease zerts right where the pivot bolt is.