PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Choose Your Vehicle, And How Did You Get It To Where It Is Now?

ZBlaster
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I thought of this while I was detailing my SN-95 a few minutes ago. I have never seen a thread like this before, and thought that I'm sure there are some good stories behind these. So like the title says, gives us a little explanation of why you chose what your driving, and the story of how you got it to where it is now.

I'll go first, I've been a HUGE Mustang guy as long as I can remember. My love of these cars started back when the foxbody/notchback style was still around. I always knew I wanted one, and knew one day I'd get one. Well around 1996 I saw my first Moonlight Blue SN-95 GT. I was instantly in love with the color combination, but at the time didnt have the funds, or the need for a car of the sorts.

Fast forward to January 2007, I was in need of a new vehicle, and decided to begin car shopping on New Year's Day. The last lot I went to for the day I saw a Torch Red 2003 Mach 1, 5 speed, Interior Upgrade Package car. It was all stock except for 15% tint, and had around 34,000 miles on it. To make a long story short, I drove it off the lot for $19,500 on January 10th, 2007. I owned this car for almost a year exactly, spent a ton of money on it, got a best time of 12.002 @ 116 mph at Atlanta Dragway, and won several shows with it. Well on December 29th 2007, a mistake due to lack of better judgement, ended the car, and almost my life. The car slammed into a bank, hit a telephone pole, cutting the pole in two, causing the car to roll 5 times. The door was ripped off upon impact with the pole and my entire lower body was hanging out of the car while it was rolling. This all occured at around 11:15pm. Around 12:30 I arrived via LifeFlight at Erlanger Trauma Center in Chattanooga, TN. Thankfully I had no internal damage, just a bad concussion, several cuts requiring stitches, and some other bumps. My knee on the other hand had some severe issues. I tore my lateral meniscus, sprained every ligament in it, and made 4 seperate cracks in my knee cap. It took almost 2 months for me to walk, and 3 more months of physical therapy to get me back to where I am now.

Shortly after I could walk again I bought a 1989 Civic Si with a built poor mans Type R swap (B18C1 w/ C5 head, cams, cam gears, etc.). Fun little car, but no practical as I could barely get in and out of it with my knee issues. I traded it in April for a 1991 F150 with a 5.0HO swap, small cam, head work, etc. It was a nice truck but wasnt me. During this time my buddy had bought a 1996 Moonlight Blue GT, yes the car I had always wanted. Turns out in May he began to need a truck, and my want for the car grew greater daily. On May 19th we traded.

Thats how I acquired my SN-95. It's a 1996 Mustang GT, 5 speed, fairly unoptioned car. The chassis had 180k on it when I bought it, but it had a brand new transmission from Borg Warner, and several other new parts. It had the typical for 96-98 cracked coolant crossover when I bought it, after 4 days it busted and it all began from there.

I purchased 2 PI (99-04) heads, with a fresh valve job, minor port and polish work, new valve springs, etc. all on May 23rd. The same day I ordered a brand new set of Comp XE262 cams, and an FRPP PI intake. The next day I ordered a Trickflow plenum spacer, and a ported Professional Products plenum. Add these to the mods the car already had and I had exactly what I wanted. A nice, quick, fun to drive, daily driver. Of course since then I've added other mods to the car, and changed some stuff around, but it is now how I like it, and will likely stay this way. I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible, and would like to one day give it to my first child.

Thats my story, sorry it's such a novel, but I felt all of it needed to be included in the story. Lets hear about your's. How it came about, how your modding began, maybe a mod list, list of setups you've tried and liked/disliked. I feel this will be an interesting read.

Scro
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
1997 F-150, single cab, long bed with a 4.6 V8. The long bed allows me to utilize a toolbox, put the quad in the back, and still be able to close the tailgate. A regular pickup, you have to tie the quad down because of the gate being down.

It just rolled over 200,000 and it's still going strong getting a decent 18 miles per gallon on the highway if I drive it right. I have enough confidence in it to drive it 120 miles round trip to work. Throw in the fact that it's paid for, I can't ask for anything better.;)

8my_Cash
07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Scro

I have the same truck just a 98 and a 4x4 ext cab short bed. with 33s and a Full exhaust. Worst mistake ever lol, i get horrible gas milage. Love the truck, it just rolled 175000 today still going strong.

I got it after resoring a 1984 f150( i will never do a paint job ever again, huge nightmare even though came out great ) and the truck had fuel delivery problem.

And Zblaster i feel you pain with the 03 mach 1. Im a foxbody nut like yourself and moon lgiht blue is the best color ever produced by ford. Sad to hear about the misfortune with that accident but all in all you can say it turned out pretty good since you did eventually get your dream car.

Scro
07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I might as well tell my story since I'm killing time at work:p Started out with a 1994 Chevy 1500. I bought it from my brother, and he had already put a nice set of 15's wheels on it. I lowered it down just a hair and put a little system in it. (What can I say, I was a typical highschool punk lol).

I sold that because I wanted something go mudding in. I bought a 1992 two-door Tahoe 4x4. It had a posi-rear end, it would literally go anywhere with just mud tires and no lift.

I got out of my redneck stage, and sold it for a 1997 Chevy X-cab 1500. Put a set of 20's on it and lowered it down an inch or two. I ended up wrecking it, but it wasn't totalled. So fixed it, and painted it black. The paint on it was phenominal. It was like looking into a mirror.

I eventually sold it for another 1997 Tahoe two-door, only 2 wheel drive. Put the 20's on it, and lowered it down. It was nice until I started riding quads, and then it was just a pain.

From there, I've owned a 1991 Civic, 1992 Ford Ranger, 1990 3/4 ton Chevy 2500, and now I have the truck I posted earlier. I'm on my 8th vehicle in 8 years:D I guess you could say I get around.:)

450raider
07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
2004 Ford F150 stx supercab 4.6 auto all else standard, well theres a few reasons why im all ford, ive pretty much been rasied most of my life as a youngun by chevy nuts so it was a bit of a rebellious move,

secondly my papaws last name is ford which i would then use as my last name if i got in any profession (my real last name is a little too funky for that) and i just liked that little bit of trivia,

and ive always been a fan of the mustang having owned 2 before my quad days which were total junk ive still just always liked em and plan to have 3 more sooner than later and im relying on that saying "third times a charm"

how it came about.... i saved money forever and finally got enough to buy a new something and i didnt know what, went to a toyota dealer where i was real close to buying an suv till they tried to snowball me with the exact following phrase, sales:"smart move here toyotas have best resale you know" me: "is that so? i know how dealers are the second after you drive off the lot" sales: "no no these toyotas have been sometimes known to DOUBLE in value after you hit the 100,000 mi. mark", i was gone, next i headed to the ford place across the street where the sales guy was real nice and gave me some time to look and then i saw it the f150 matching my discription black, nothing fancy to keep costs down (im not too lazy to roll my own window down, but boy i wish i had cruise) so i got it and thats that... i learned like a year after i got it about ford making a 4.6 and 5.4 which is about stupid, but had i known that at the time i woulda left everything the same except gotten the 5.4. thats my story

loves2spooge
07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
i have a 65 mustang that i started restoring. changed my mind a lil ways in and got a 70 chevelle instead.

krt400ex
07-03-2008, 08:52 PM
i have a small landscape business that i have messing with since i was 12, when it came time to get my license i needed a truck to haul my stuff around...plus for the quad.

i bought a '97 sierra 1500 crew cab with short bed and the 350 smallblock. it had 4wd. i paid 6 grand for it and market value at the time was about 8 g's

07-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I started out with a 95 s10 blazer(POS) got rid of that as quick as a I could. Then I was looking for a small, light, good handling car, so basiciclly a Japanese of European car. I went to check out this Acura Integra GRS, but it was shady, was in an accident and such. On the way home I rembered a BMW I found online, so we went to check it out and it was perfect. It was a 1993 BMW 318is 5spd, with 40k miles. It was ballin, all I did to it when I owned it was a CAI. Than I wrecked it:( . Then I was looking on craigslist and I came across a 1995 318i( same car, just a four door) for only $1500. The motor was blown, but the motor in the one I wrecked was still good. So I snatched that up, and did a swap. It's not 100% done yet, just gotta hook up the drive shaft, some vacuum lines and other little stuff. My plans for it are all in the handling area since I dont have the motor to be messing around with(1.8 i4), plus gas sucks.

krt400ex
07-04-2008, 07:40 AM
oh, and i also put 13k miles on it in the last 7 months :eek2: shes got 98,500 or so on it now