PDA

View Full Version : 250x axle and carrier

Bill Lemans
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I have a 1987 honda 250x that needed some axle replacements. I bought an axle off ebay that was supposed to fit but doesn't.
The sprocket rides too close to the carrier and doesn't line up with the fronr sprocket.
Are the sprockets just pressed on to the spline ? I'd like to swap the sprockets to get the right spacing.

I'm noticing a few other differences , too. the rotors are different diameters and the brake brackets are different to account for the dia. difference. The whole axle is longer as well. I'm pretty sure thisn't off a 250x, maybe a 300......??

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ?

bwamos
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you got a 400ex axle? I know that sprocket hub holds the sprocket a lot closer to the carrier.

rooster300ex
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lemans
I have a 1987 honda 250x that needed some axle replacements. I bought an axle off ebay that was supposed to fit but doesn't.
The sprocket rides too close to the carrier and doesn't line up with the fronr sprocket.
Are the sprockets just pressed on to the spline ? I'd like to swap the sprockets to get the right spacing.

I'm noticing a few other differences , too. the rotors are different diameters and the brake brackets are different to account for the dia. difference. The whole axle is longer as well. I'm pretty sure thisn't off a 250x, maybe a 300......??

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ?

300ex axle is the same

Bill Lemans
07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
So that really only leads to the wrong axle theory. Aside from the length of theaxle, the only thing I noticed is the splined hub, that the rear sprocket attaches to, is shorter in length.

bradley300
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
the sprocket hub is pressed onto the axle splines. its near impossible to get off, and any axle you buy should have the sprocket hub attached

Bill Lemans
07-09-2008, 07:26 AM
After contacting ebay seller it appears i will have to submi the transaction to ebay and paypal and let them decide.

In the meantime I did manage to get the old sprocket\hub off with a hydraulic press at work.My plan is to machine the outside face back to flat (since the idiot that owned it before welded it instead of buying the right hardware to hold it in place).

Then I can make a spacer to bring the over all length back to spec. My only issue is that I don't know what the over all length is since the weld burned away the actual edge. If anyone has calipers and can measure there sprocket hub length for me , i sure would appreciate it.

Hopefully I can then reinstall the old refurbished hub on the new wrong axle and the spacing will be correct. I'm more worried about the axle being centered than anything.

prepracing
07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
if its a 400ex axle I'm pretty sure you bearings are not going to line up correctly either due to different spacing on the longer axle