PDA

View Full Version : The economy and our Sport

QuadJunkies
07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on how the shifting economy and rising fuel costs will be effecting our Sport .Its depressing to think about!

Ive heard some buzzing that even the Top manufactuers are cutting back on sponsorships and factory riders in 2009 and some of those that are teamed up with them. Its all just things Ive heard in rumor, but I dont doubt it .

Im sure this will take its toll on many racing series as well with smaller rider turn outs,even local tracks series will suffer some .

I hope some how ...some way... we can get back on track.
Sucks when the sport is at its best its ever been . :(

<DRS>GPF
07-03-2008, 05:43 AM
though nobody in my family races, we visit the local track often. its been slowing down.. :ermm:

Pappy
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I look ed at just stats from the GNCC series to see if it has declining numbers since trying to use the MX nationals would be skewed due to teh collapse of the WPSA series.

The last 3 rounds of competition in 2007 then 2008 entries netted as follows(GNCC Series ATV AM&PM Combined):

549-455= loss of 94 entries
542-519=loss of 23 entries
431-453=gain of 22 entries

I know I havent seen near the spectators at the races that I have in years past, and the numbers above can tell volumes I geuss. I do know a few local series that have had increased rider entries based on riders opting to save the fuel an run local series versus the long drive associated with the National series.

With fuel approaching $5.00 nationwide for diesel (over $5 per gallon in many areas) it is becoming simply to expensive to make the races.

Couple the high fuel prices with increased competition at work and you set yourself up a situation where vacation or off time is getting harded to arrange without fear of lossing your employment. I know folks who stopped running nationals because they had limited vacation and feared taking unsceduled days off, thus they either stopped racing or only do local events.

Others, such as ourselves have missed entering events due to injury, however I am paid to be there but the expense increase in fuel has eroded the profit margin (pay check) severly making us cut corners(pack our own food/drinks, stay only 1 night instead of 2 or 3 etc) I would assume a shift in the upper ranks of riders as sponsors curtail efforts to keep within budgets for 2009, but for 2008 they are commited and there will be little change to the Pro ranks except when privateer's are involved.

As far as impacting non racers, the same holds true for weekend trips and trips to "pay to ride" atv parks. Classified sections are loaded on the web (forums, ebay) and local papers showing the decline in people participating in our sport. Prices on new models are skyrocketing at a time when many can not afford a new machine even when financed, however people will always find a way to enjoy their hobby's.

Aftermarket part pricing is on the rise as metal prices around the world sit at record high prices, and this trend shows absolutley no sign of slowing down so expect to continue to start paying more for parts as the impact reaches every corner of our sport. The market for used parts is slowly increasing again as we make do instead of buying new, and some real deals are out there if you have a little extra money as used atv prices are down along with aftermarket items.

Fuel and parts are but a few areas of impact as associated with our sport as simple maintence costs for towing vehichles and repairs are reaching or surpass all time high's, along with food prices soaring.

I dont know if anyone can predict the future of it all, ny advice is plan ahead, curtail extras, buy used when available, carpool to events, and do whatever it takes to shave off some extra money.

Its a ***** out there....

RideRed84
07-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I hope I'm right but I believe that this summer will be the worst of it. I think a big problem with economy is the uncertainty of who will run the country. I think after the election things will stabilize a bit. Gas prices are really hurting everyone and people aren't just dealing with it. There has been a dramatic decrease in spending and driving. That hurts the oil companies when we use less oil. There are a lot of things on the horizon that will help America. China will lose it's cap on oil so that should impact price here a little, there maybe a ban on speculative trading which will drop gas prices, and now we have found new resources to make oil out of one of which is coal. If gas prices drop the economy will roar back.

Like I said I hope I'm right but we could spin the other way too if Iran goes to war.

laeger2fiddyr
07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I've cut my racing down ALOT this year!! I just dont see spending $4.00 a gallon for gas just to get to the races, then all the entry fees. In my local a class you could atleast brake even or come out ahead w/ pay out but not anymore! I would rather pay 20bux to practice somewhere & get a full days riding in! Get more for my money!!! Im 28 got a truck payment, rent, & bills to pay for so just cutting back when I can. I dont have parents paying for my gas, entry fees or parts for my quad like some people do. Theres nothing wrong w/ that at all! Im just saying for the people paying for it themselves they might cut back some! Dont get me wrong I love this sport & have been doing it for 9yrs but with everything getting more expensive its just harder to do! I got a few could tracks around me to go ride @ so I just do that and still get to hang w/ all my racing buds! I will always ride but just will race every once in awhile.

KXRida
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I only make it to a few local races here and there anymore. It's just killing me price wise. I pay for all of my riding/racing out of my pocket, so it's hard to keep racing at the tracks. I rarely even practice at the tracks anymore. If I'm going to race there I'll go up for a practice or two then do the race that weekend. Gas prices are just killing me with my truck, but I feel bad for the guys that have diesel's for their race rigs. I too have been cutting corners when it comes to racing. Packing my own stuff, etc. I see that tires also went up in price, but I still get pretty good deals on mine (keep in mind I only have to buy two compared to your four! :D ). I might snag up a set so I know I have some spares. I only pay $100 for the set, which is pretty good. I have seen a pretty big decline in some of the local events around here. The economy is hurting everyone.

TRX_450
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
A few weeks back I was watching some news show, and one of the oil company CEO's they had on there straight up said it wasnt costing them any more to take the oil out of the ground and process it then it was 10 year ago.

initall
07-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Intresting topic, I am wondering what the responses will be. I think we will see more people selling their quads, Snowmobiles etc. It gets and is getting very expensive. I have considered selling mine. But will probably keep it since costs me nothing expect if i want to ride.

07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I will always refuse to sell my quad, i'll find some other way if i need the money. Gas prices they say will be something like $7 a gallon by either the end of the year or next year I cant remember what the chartologist said. At $7 yes I will ride less because $7 an hour isnt even minimum wage.

QuadJunkies
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
[

Aftermarket part pricing is on the rise as metal prices around the world sit at record high prices, and this trend shows absolutley no sign of slowing down so expect to continue to start paying more for parts as the impact reaches every corner of our sport. The market for used parts is slowly increasing again as we make do instead of buying new, and some real deals are out there if you have a little extra money as used atv prices are down along with aftermarket items.
[/B]

We actually just experienced a few of those prices just this week .They werent HUGE hikes, but I too have heard they are coming.:ermm:

We lost about 100 entries at the last National ,but I am not sure if it was due to location or gas prices-possibly both.

I cant believe how many quads Im seeing for sale !

airmobile101
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Its taking its toll on me. Thank god our last race is coming on July 5th. That will give me two months of freedom before the series starts up again. It cost me $70.00 for my son and myself to race. Now add the $100.00-$200.00 in gas to get to the race. $170-$270.00 a month for a race can get pretty expensive. Its not a cheap hobby, but the rise of gas and food isnt helping!!

ryansblaster
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I will always refuse to sell my quad, i'll find some other way if i need the money. Gas prices they say will be something like $7 a gallon by either the end of the year or next year I cant remember what the chartologist said. At $7 yes I will ride less because $7 an hour isnt even minimum wage.

Our minimum wage is $7.75 an hour

QuadJunkies
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Its taking its toll on me. Thank god our last race is coming on July 5th. That will give me two months of freedom before the series starts up again. It cost me $70.00 for my son and myself to race. Now add the $100.00-$200.00 in gas to get to the race. $170-$270.00 a month for a race can get pretty expensive. Its not a cheap hobby, but the rise of gas and food isnt helping!!

We just estimated out last race of the season for the Awards Banquet it will run us about 2000.00 as we will need to take almost a full week since its a 34 hour drive round trip ,others are driving even further than us .:scary:

It costs as an Ave for us approx. 1500.00 per month just to run the Nationals and that does not include any parts,gear or race fuel . We have been trying to race locally for seat time once a month also in between,but have had t ocut back on alot of riding to budget costs. We used to ride almost every wk end but not anymore..
We too are at a pause for 3 months.. I wish it was a little longer .lol:p

airmobile101
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I feel your pain QuadJunkies, its just starting to get real expensive. Its not only the gas, but everyone else is starting to sell crap at a higher price. If need be, Ill sit out while I watch my boy ride, then I save the $40.00 that it would have costed me to race($35.00=race fee, $5.00=gate fee).

airmobile101
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I really shouldnt complain,Missouri is one of the few states where gas is still hoovering at $3.99 a gallon.

trx400EXtreme
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
yea its still too much, but compared to other states, were lucky.

bwamos
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Yup. But, I've still started taking the 1.5hr (each way) metro bus trip into work instead of driving. $40/mo which saves me about $300-350 (was spending about $520/mo on gas before.).

8my_Cash
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I notcied too that it is killing our sport a little bit. Not many people racing now around where im from.

I dont race im a free rider/ fmxer but just to get us together and ride the first thing thats goes through our heads now is where and how long of a drive just to estimate how much gas we need to get there and back.

I never would have imagined planning out a riding day especially if your not going all that far. But thats what happens when you have bills to pay and college in the way of spending your money.

Hopefully our dollar strengthens itself somehow just to make product pricing go down (food,ect) it will help pay for the gas to do different things.

At least most of us don't live in europe imagine dealing with those fuel prices

KXRida
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
My friend and I have been carpooling to the tracks a good bit. His son rides so he said there's no sense in taking two vehicles, so he just puts the trailer on the back and we go together. I'm still waiting for my damn stimulus check to come in so I can get gears for my truck. These gas prices suck. I too saw that thing on the news about them saying it costs the same to get the oil as it did 10 years ago. Damn big oil companies.

coryatver
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
people around here are riding more. quads are a lot easier on gas everyone is crusing around on the wheelers. At work the parking lot looks like a atv dealership:o

Pappy
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
people around here are riding more. quads are a lot easier on gas everyone is crusing around on the wheelers. At work the parking lot looks like a atv dealership:o

if this country wasnt run by such pricks, image what the manufactures would bring to the market for a street based atv's

Quad18star
07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
if this country wasnt run by such pricks, image what the manufactures would bring to the market for a street based atv's

BRP is starting to move forward a bit ... just look at the Spyder .... it's one wheel closer to being a street legal ATV. It's only a matter of time before one hits the market.

Gas prices sure have made their dent in the recreational side of things... everything from ATVs to boats and snowmobiles. Business wasn't nearly as busy last season at our BRP dealership as it's been in seasons past. The snowmobiles took a little bit to get moving and there wasn't nearly as many sleds on the trails. When you figure a weekend of sledding would cost over $1000 , most people decided to stay home. ATVs aren't moving as quick as before either.

The big impact we've seen is in the boat market. Local cottagers aren't out nearly as often cruising the lakes as they normally would .... boats with 40+ gallon tanks aren't selling ... nobody can afford to pay $300 or $400 for a day out on the water anymore.

Giz400ex
07-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

The big impact we've seen is in the boat market. Local cottagers aren't out nearly as often cruising the lakes as they normally would .... boats with 40+ gallon tanks aren't selling ... nobody can afford to pay $300 or $400 for a day out on the water anymore. Absolutely, thats where the biggest hit has been made. Most dealers that sell boats, also sell RV's and its just sad. I have 2 PWC's that would cost me $150.00 (35gals combined) a weekend. They haven't been out all season because I don't see the fun having to cost that much. I don't want to pay that much :( Its sad whats happening and it affects everyone but the people that control this or have a choice to do something, DON'T!! The cost of living is getting out of control:grr:

07-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by ryansblaster
Our minimum wage is $7.75 an hour

but hows your taxes? last i knew it was $6.50 where i am

procircuit406ex
07-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Its all rediculious and its just going to get worse. I was talking to Craig Reed yesterday and he said he didnt know how many races he was going to do next season because of fuel

QuadJunkies
07-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash

At least most of us don't live in europe imagine dealing with those fuel prices

I watched on TV the other day where they said they have been dealing with higher fuel costs for abit longer than us and have a better transportation system in place than most of us in America do.
They foreign countries dont do quite the "commute" that most us Americans do.

Today being the 4th of July... we were at the beach and I didnt seen nearly the boats Ive seen in the past headed out .

Mxjunkie
07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't afford to race and pay the bills so I get mine out maybe once a month to blow the cob webs off of them. VP gets a little pricey on a small budget :p

I think it's more of a bang for your buck if you go to a track and ride for a weekend instead of doing racing anymore. The wear and tear from play riding to racing is a big jump in money. But theres that lack of the rush from racing. I always found its cheaper to load up and go rip the coal mines up north for free though.. Yummy.. can you say nasty black dust.. :scary:

trx310R#24
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
its not that bad around here i mean gas is 396 to 409 but i live my life the same if it gos to 10 after that things will have to change a lil i think i can deal with 10 a gal but after that cars would be worthless

trx310R#24
07-05-2008, 12:08 AM
lol if we still had the boat at the yacht club people would be stealing my gas it had a 350 gal tank!

it would cost 2000 to fill it up lol it would last for a few weeks but still.. well if i dont go to far

quad2xtreme
07-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
lol if we still had the boat at the yacht club people would be stealing my gas it had a 350 gal tank!

it would cost 2000 to fill it up lol it would last for a few weeks but still.. well if i dont go to far

Hate to get personal but you have to be an *** to come on a website essentially bragging about how well off you are to a group of youngsters who struggle to make it. You can't even compare what these kids are going through today. They are the generation getting hit the hardest paying the interest on all that damn debt the politicians keep incurring. Minimum wage has barely changed over the past 20 years but a townhouse in Pasadena, MD went from ~60,000 to $280,000. I am glad I am not just starting out. All I can say to the kids today is I am sorry my generation and the one before were so selfish and you are getting stuck with the bill. You see, we wanted to live like we had more than we could afford so we just put it on the big governmental credit card. If Reagan taught us anything, live for today and pay later! Prior to Reagan, getting credit was tough...you actually needed a job for example. After Reagan's administration loosened all the restrictions on the banking industry, 1st year college students could get several cards without even after a co-signor. These policies made into deep into the housing loan market too along with the reserves that the banks had to keep in store for a rainy day. Anyhow, I could go on all day and am not interested in spending the next few weeks on the Internet debating with someone. The bottom line is it is time to pay the piper and there isn't a damn thing the politicians can do about it now. We live in a world economy now and they can't influence change all over the globe anymore. Both China and India are going through major revolutions and both countries have the advantage of not having to deal with lawyers on every corner "fighting for their views (pocketbook) on your rights"...right or wrong.

SRH
07-05-2008, 09:27 AM
i think right now people have 2 outlooks and neither are fixing the problem, im guilty of it as well

you either say, well iim going to live the same but ill make more money

or you say, that sucks ill just do less and cling to money like its magical

were we should all be getting together to nip this in the ***...but americans are lazy

as dickish as that kid saying hed pay 10 a gallon you gotta have that attitude if you want to enjoy your life in this day and age because we cant count on each other in this country, no one cares, so you have to kinda have a me me me attitude to make it, i personally dont like the fact it costs me 100 bucks to fill my van up to drive to the races but what am i going to do? cant count on the rest of the people i know who just go drink beer and watch tv or play video games when prices go up instead of being ambitious and trying to do something about it

thats what the rich got on the poor,ambition to get what they want and the oppurtunity (sp), and thats why someone is saying yeah...theyll pay 4 bucks a gallon

i couldnt agree more it sucks, but i can also see why it happens...

QuadJunkies
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by SRH
i think right now people have 2 outlooks and neither are fixing the problem, im guilty of it as well

you either say, well iim going to live the same but ill make more money

or you say, that sucks ill just do less and cling to money like its magical

were we should all be getting together to nip this in the ***...but americans are lazy

as dickish as that kid saying hed pay 10 a gallon you gotta have that attitude if you want to enjoy your life in this day and age because we cant count on each other in this country, no one cares, so you have to kinda have a me me me attitude to make it, i personally dont like the fact it costs me 100 bucks to fill my van up to drive to the races but what am i going to do? cant count on the rest of the people i know who just go drink beer and watch tv or play video games when prices go up instead of being ambitious and trying to do something about it

thats what the rich got on the poor,ambition to get what they want and the oppurtunity (sp), and thats why someone is saying yeah...theyll pay 4 bucks a gallon

i couldnt agree more it sucks, but i can also see why it happens...

I do agree with some of what you said...and one thing that just pisses me off to no end is how our Goverment waits until the problem is already a problem thats out of controal before they step up and start to fix things and find solutions before it gets that bad!!
Unfortunately,as the gas prices change so does employment. There doesnt go a day that I dont hear of someone who just lost there job because of all the crazinss the economy is going threw right now. Makes things a little tough to make more money right now when everyone is cutting back and forget all the higher paid jobs, they are dwindling too and alot of layoffs . Wages just dont seem to be competitive enough to keep up with the higer costs we are going to be dealing with here soon..
Thers only so many hours in a day to work , most people do live on a tight budget and adding the increase DOES put a damper on things. Yes, we do find ways to just "deal with it" since there doesnt seem to be a choice inthe matter, but as fuel goes up, so does food, so does parts, so does everything since its all tied into transportation.... and that is why so many (especailly with families) will not be able to afford to ride as much.
If we hit the 6.00 a gal. mark, I can honestly say we wont be traveling anymore to race Nationals. Troy and I are already working as many hours as we can to barely get threw the rest of the season.:scary: