PDA

View Full Version : i screwed up

diablo14
07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
i took the clutch cover off my drr for the first time when i took all the bolts out it was kinda stuck on there so i thought maybe the kick starter was haolding it so i took it off still tight i tapped it a couple times and it popped off well i sat it on the bench and the kick starter coil blew apart... come to find out it didn't need to come off and i can't get it back on the spring is crazy tight any tips secrects? maybe even a pic would be great thanks for the help . i got a p***ed off 3yr old who thought he was goin riding today oooopppppsss lol

mudder700
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
lots of patience and maybe a buddy helping, I did it just once, now I am extra careful with the kickstarter....It is a tough repair..Good luck

JIM GRACE
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
there was a thread on this subject a while ago..i brought our's to a
professional and after he wrestled with it for about 1/2 hour
he got it on along with some bloody knuckles,, money well spent:D

brandons dad #55

hotquads1
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
it is not impossible to get back on, but it would be easier to buy new quad. good luck
marc

JIM GRACE
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
that's pretty funny and true:blah:

brandons dad #55

forgiven
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Ed

I will have Tom give you a call if he has a minute. It isn't that hard but he can explain it much better than I.

mudder700
07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Forgiven, send me your address and I will send mine to you the next time, just kidding, it took 3 of us on mine, along with some bloody nuckles, I really thought about a new quad for a few minutes, but then I remembered that I couldn't sell this one with no way to start it......Well, it works now, hard lesson learned,NEVER,EVER push down on the kick starter when the clutch cover is off the tranny.....LOL

forgiven
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I just talked to him. It did take two of us but it was pretty painless. He laughed when I asked him to describe it over the phone and he said it would be easier to put a video on Youtube.

Now I have to figure out how to do that. I have 3 new quads unassembled so perhaps we will but usually he won't let me put a camera on him. If we do I will try to post it as it does come up from time to time.

mecheech
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Here is a copy of what I had posted awhile back on how I figured out an ez way to fix it, maybe I should youtube it and charge a $5 donation to watch it:eek2:

Anyway for the fix of the kick starter I found a picture on Gary's website http://yhst-17379619078614.stores.yahoo.net/topend.html Service manual (generic) then go to page 73.

Everyone had told me how hard it was and it usually took two people. But if U get a set of needle nose channel locks, hook the spring to the post, then push the turned up part of the spring counter clockwise with thumb as far as U can, I got it to about the 4 o'clock position. Then take the channel locks and clamp down on the top 3-4 layers of spring at the 12 o'clock position and use the channel locks to rotate the spring the rest of the way needed. Drop the shaft assembly in and slide the sleeve on from the outside of case. Then a little counter clockwise pressure on the assembly and slide on the small gear with stop. It turned out pretty ez for me after all said and done.
Hope this NOOBIE was able to help some of U out.

diablo14
07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
lol i found your post from earlier and just finished putting it on as you reposeted it huge help my bloody knuckles wish i would have looked a lil harder first!!!!! very easy fix when done right took about 5 min...lol thanks a million like usual!!!! lol