PDA

View Full Version : lightend flywheel help!!!!!!

randallp1
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
im putting in a st 3 hot cam and the gaylord who lightened my flywheel shaved off the T. we put a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and judged it off the hight of the piston then put the head on but it wouldnt fire. then flipped the lobes of the cam up and still no fire. any suggestions. help!!!!!! please give me a detailed cam installation step by step.

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
alright well you don't need the timing mark. but you need to pay close attention. get a screw driver in there and gget it at absolute top dead center. there will be a point where there is slack in the crank and this piston won't move. this will give you 2 teeth to choose from on the timing. the cam lobes should be straigfht up and down. line up your cam sproket so there are lines parallele with the block and one line pointing upwards. if you did this right your bolt holes will be vertical. this is where you get to choose from 1 of the 2 teeth becuasse you don't have the mark. but I suggest you invest in an air ratchet and keep the assembelly light becuase thoughes 15 some odd bolts that keep the valve cover on will get annoying real fast. message me back for more infor or more details. also when your at that slack part I talked about. your best guess is to go with it right in the middle of the 2 slack points. be carfull that slack point is tiny. like probly about 1 cm or less of play before it startes to pull the piston back down. good luck:)

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
also 1 more thing is. when you get the chain on and bolted in. before you put the cam tentioner in. if its on right. mine was. on the cam sprocket the right line dipped lower than the left line that's parallel with the top of the block.and when the tentioner is in. the lines are sdead even witht he block. good luck. sorry about the typos im on my sidekick typing fast as I can lol

07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
its 3-1/4" from TDC to the top part of the valver cover where its flat above the spark plug hole. Stick an object in so the 1 part of the object touches the valve cover and the other side touches the front part of the spark plug hole. 3-1/4" is what i got for TDC. Higher compresison pistons might be different i'm not sure. As for the cam di you align your sproket on the camshaft correctly? There should be 2 lines which need to go flush with the motor making the lobes point down. My bro

sc400ex_rider
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
you can also go buy the keyway slot on the flywheel(crank if you have the sparks key). i marked the outer edge with white-out but it wore off so i smacked it with a hammer and chisle to make a permanent mark. i then checked it the next time i had the head off and it was off a little bit. its hard to get perfect because you can move the mark (rotate flywheel)an inch or two while the piston is at tdc, as it goes from up to down stroke. you could get it pefect with a dial indicator and a degree wheel though.