PDA

View Full Version : A little extra power for a good price

Ryan
07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
What performance upgrade would yall recommend for a decent price. I been thinking about investing into a pipe, but don't want the quad to be any louder than it is. I have the spark arrestor out of the silencer, and its plenty loud for this area.... No need to make it any louder. And im wondering how much extra power I would get out of a good full system (quiet) pipe.

Best modification I did to it so far was the accelerator plate to get rid of the bogging, and help out the throttle response.

I've also been thinking about doing the timing upgrade.... But im wondering if its really worth it... I know I gotta tear it down real soon and adjust the valves.... I probably got atlease 15 hard hours on this machine...... Is it always a must to adjust the valves after 20 hours on a new motor or rebuild?

Any input on any of these questions is greatly apreciated....

Thank you.

Thumper1220
07-02-2008, 07:28 AM
If you dont mind a few mph loss on top end the cheapest way would be to go up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket. it will make it pull harder but you will loose 3-5 mph up top

Thumper1220
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
about the valves.. on a new quad or rebuilt motor i would say after 15-20 hours they are ready to be done for sure. it's simple enough just to check them every month or so depending on how hard you ride and how often you ride it. so my best advice would be to check them every month or so.....even if they are within specs when you check....it's worth every minute of your time.

saw a 450 on the backroad a couple days ago....sounded like someone was playing the spoons on the side of the motor:eek: i guess nobody told him about the valves....

Ryan
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info, thumper... I'll definitly check the valves this weekend.

As for going up one tooth on the rear sprocket....... I thought about it already... I definitly could use a little more usuable power in third gear, comming around the tight corners...... But the only real thing I was unsatisfied with when I bought this quad, was the top speed. an extra 10-20mph faster would be nice around here... I live around alot of open dirt roads and some farms.

squadie
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
The cheapest upgrade is to remove the airbox lid, remove the exhaust baffle (which you did), and rejet; and retard the exhaust cam for the cam mod. The cam mod is a big hit for no money (unless you make a mistake!) The NCVQ needle is a popular choice when rejetting.

Ride1Rob
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
There's no need to check your valves every month unless you're just looking for something to do. On a new bike (1st 20hrs), after that probably every 6 months.

250r4life
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
as already said, the baffle out, the lid off, rejetted, and retarding the cam will give you a pretty sweet bike!

as far as the valves, this is my experience with two 06 YFZs...

I bought mine in Nov of 06. Went to the dunes 8 or 9 trips, including a 3 day trip for Thanksgiving and a 5 day trip over new years. I ride a lot at the dunes, I ride hard, and I race the Hill a ton! I also went to the track a time or two, and did probably half a dozen trail rides here in the desert, riding aggresively again...

I checked my valves in like July after all that, and not one was out of spec.

My buddy bought his 06 a year earlier, and probably had 16 or so dune trips on his, and again, we ride hard, and race the hill a lot, and we checked ours at the same time and he only had 1 valve that was out of spec...

Ryan
07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys :cool:

exrider12
07-19-2008, 10:25 AM
get an fmf q4 or something like that