PDA

View Full Version : half boots in MX

kraemer
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I was wondering if most prefer half boots or full boots...

please include what kind of riding you do and if you have a kick starter

I have started to ride MX and bought a kicker 450R and was going to order a set of boots...just wanted some opinions

thanks guys

deathman53
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Only full boots, nearly up to the knee. I also ride dirtbikes and full boots are a mandatory item on them. My boots have taken hits that could have really hurt without them. Don't scimp on protection, riding for me means, helmet, full boots, long sleave shirt, long pants(riding pants), chest protector and kidney belt. My chest protector has taken some hits that could have really hurt also, ever had a rock thrown at your chest by a bike infront of you??

hondarider101
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
i kick my 450r in flipflops and hasent had a problem yet but i still wear boots when riding.

07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
If you don't mind wearing a cast for 4-6 weeks then go with half boots. I have a 450r kicker also and unless your putting around trail riding or some poser who wants to look cool, get full boots. Have you ever seen any pro rider race in half boots? There is a reason...

jesseweaver
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
yup, you're gonna really want a chest protector when your flying right behind one of the big bikes. ive seen rocks the size of your fist get tossed pretty far already:eek2:

as for boots, i wouldnt get half ones. they probably would be more comfortable and cheaper, but you'll want regular sized ones the first time something lands on your leg. they save lots and lots of snapped ankles. i do all mx and i never ride without full boots. (but my quad isn't a kicker so i don't know what that would be like)

07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
First few times kicking with full boots sucks, but it takes like 4 rides to break them in so they move. Get used to boots before you judge them though, almost all mx schools make you run every day in boots. Go for a mile run with them on around town. It's funny cause you look like forest gump with the braces swinging them stiffly.

klutch
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
My 04 Kicker 450R my boots have saved me a few times from it. Full boots are the ONLY way to go. I do MX and trails lately MX.

elementryder
07-01-2008, 08:34 PM
get the best boots you can buy! i wish i would have and i might not have broken 4 peics of my ankle off...i had thor boots but im deffinantly getting some tec10s

450raider
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
ill tell ya i like the half boots, i wear em oftentimes but mostly trail ride anyways, im not a racer nor will i preach like one, but i have had a kicker r and had no problems with em, the only times id hurt myself on it is wearing flip flops everytime id either dang near break my ankle or have the kickstart slip and smack me in the shin and have a giant bump on it for a few days youd think id learn the first time:D ... anyway im for the halfs but get what you want....JMO

ZeroLogic
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Get the full size boots. Protects your shins.:macho

400exrider707
07-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Half boots are for pitbikes man, get FULL boots!

07-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yup, you're gonna really want a chest protector when your flying right behind one of the big bikes. ive seen rocks the size of your fist get tossed pretty far already:eek2:

yeah i got pelted by rocks that big because my friends dad with a modded cr500 cut in front of me and nailed the gas through a pile of rocks, what an a** hole. 1 hit my knucles yeah that hurt and the other hit my chest protector. The one that hit the chest protector just hit it and it didnt hurt but the one that hit my knuckles man it felt like my hand was broke lol

as for boots, get the full boots. They are really comfortable once you break them in and they protect you so much more.

mephyst
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Go with the full boots whenever on the track... I would only wear half boots if I was duning or something like that and wanted a little more comfort. I don't have any problems with my tech 8s anyways though, they are super comfy.

I always wear my gear... helmet/pants/gloves/chest protector/boots/and just got a leatt... I've already broken my back once... probably don't have anymore chances left. ;)

I also race a crf450, so gotta have full boots!