PDA

View Full Version : fixing a starter gear(stripped)

vislaguy
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
my sons bikr has a striped starter gear (in motor gear) and I was wondering what I have to do to replace it?? can I get it from the clutch side with out puling the motor?? also his bike still had the plastic cover over the clutch case at the rear clutch there is a hole there to you have to put something over that hole if you run without the cover?? do I just go to a yamaha dealer to get a eton part?? thanks mike

JAG Motosports
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
All you need to do is remove the case and then the variator, you will need an impact driver to remove the nut for the variator. The gear you are looking for is right behind it. To cover the hole in the case go to home depot and get a small piece of 1/4 aluminum and cut it to the shape of the hole and then use JB Weld and glue it on. I run a bead all around the outside. It looks good and you can never tell their was a hole. You can also take some sandpaper and sand it to match the texture of your case. Also while you have the variator off check your rollers for flat spots.

vislaguy
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
thats just what I was looking for. thank you

dericsdad
07-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Probably just gummed up, but if you need any parts for the starter drive, I can throw them in with the a-arms/shocks when I ship them. I still have our good take-out parts here. Just let me know. Dan.

vislaguy
07-04-2008, 04:53 AM
If you have a gear that would be great when I pulled the starter out I could see the gear in the hole was all trashed so if you have on that will be great . thanks mike

dericsdad
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Yes I have a gear. You can have it. I'll put it in with the other stuff.

vislaguy
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
well that was an easy fix for anyone eles that would like to know how just remove the clutch side case and its up in the left corner remove 2 screws and slide out the gear.