PDA

View Full Version : overheating street bike!

python952
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Alright, ive been having overheating issues since i bought my 2000 cbr 600 f4 a couple months ago. When i first bought it, the bike would heat up almost all the way to the red on the temp. guage. I changed the oil and oil filter, put in a new thermostat, flushed my radiator and put in fresh honda motorcycle radiator fluid and wired the radiator fan to run all of the time and the bike is still heating up almost all the way to the red on the temp guage. I can feel the heat coming off of the bike too.

When i put fresh fluid in, it only took 1 3/4 quarts before it way full. I started the bike with the radiator cap off to get the air bubbles out but i still could not manage to get any more fluid in the bike. It says in the manual that it should take almost 3 quarts??? Can my hoses be clogged? When i flushed the radiator i opened the drain on the water pump and put a garden hose in the top of the radiator and flushed it with the bike running for about 5 minutes. if the water came out of the water pump with alot of pressure then that means that there cant be a clog, correct?? any help is appreciated.

Lowcountrydave
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Check the radiator for cold spots. Run the bike until its at operating temp. Take the back of your hand and carefully touch the radiator with your knuckles. I was able to find a section about 1/2 the radiator wasn't circulating coolant (toyota truck). It may not be cooling the capacity of the radiator. Coolant returning to the engine could be keeping the temp elevated.

Literally on my truck, I could run the truck all day and rest my hand on 1/2 of the radiator.

Just a thought.

Dave

pro-rider46
07-01-2008, 07:14 PM
i assume that the bike is carbed, you might be lean on jetting, and you need to put fatter jets in those.

krt400ex
07-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i assume that the bike is carbed, you might be lean on jetting, and you need to put fatter jets in those.

i believe those bikes are EFI, but i could be wrong

LTR450_#67
07-02-2008, 02:05 AM
No the F4's are carb.....the F4i's are FI, but I think the F4i came out a year or 2 later....I think.

python952
07-02-2008, 07:53 AM
the f4i, which is fuel injected, came out in 2001. my bike is the last year for the carbed bikes. any other ideas, the jetting is right on.

wilkin250r
07-02-2008, 04:09 PM
A used stock radiator on ebay can't possibly be all that expensive. If you flushed the radiator, and it's still not cooling properly, then I would try a different radiator. That's probably your next cheapest and easiest fix. If that doesn't fix it, they you've got serious problems.

fastredrider44
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
If you take your radiator off, and take it to a shop that specifically deals with radiators, they can tell you if it is cooling properly, as in it's not clogged or anything, and you could have them rot it out while your at it. If the problem is not your radiator, as a last resort, there is some stuff called 40 below that you can put in there, that will make it run cooler, or water wetter.