PDA

View Full Version : see if you can diagnose this sound

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
its a ticking. its annoying as ****. it was there when i got the bike. it wasnt as bad. then i did my 440 and such and it got slightly louder. not worse. its not my chain. its new. its not the came sprocket. its mint. and its in the valve head. and i just did all my valves over and new hard ware. has anyone had a bad rocker arm? if so how can you tell. its a defined tick tick tick noise. louder with the rev so its like a bad spot. and its a new cam so thats why im thinking its a rocker arm....or mabe my exhaust tappets are loose and i cant do anything about it becuase they wont budge!! thanks

exrider272
07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
last year i had a 400 that was ticking and i would adjust the valves like u said and it still did... and i took the head cover off and the rockers were shot. but ill give u some advise dont buy the rocks new unless there only 1 or 2 bad cuz there not cheap at all.. i just brought a hole new head cover with everythin in it. rockers/rocker arms. and it stoped ticking.

Ruby Soho
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
400ex's are generally loud, after market cams make them considerably loud.

if you could get a video of the sound that would help out a ton

hypersnyper6947
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
400ex's are generally loud, after market cams make them considerably loud.

You mean that the valves are loud? I was wondering about that. I just rebuilt mine and i know that everything is right and i was wondering if it was supposed to be ticking a little bit. I figured its a four-stroke your going to here the valves a little

iamsickofitall
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
the higher than stock ramp rate of the new cam will emphasize the sound of the valves opening/closing faster than stock. any time the lift is increased, expect more noise.

if you can post up a clip, it will be easier to tell if this is what you are hearing or something that could be serious.

Ruby Soho
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
You mean that the valves are loud? I was wondering about that. I just rebuilt mine and i know that everything is right and i was wondering if it was supposed to be ticking a little bit. I figured its a four-stroke your going to here the valves a little

yea i meant the valves, sorry haha

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
nope its not the valves. its all new valves. srpings and deal and its the same noise. i know what bad valves sound like and its deff not that. i swear its a bad rocker arm or shaft. i dont know. and i dont want to just go blowing money on parts that i dont know are bad. but its a defined ticking. like it almost takes over the sound of my motoworks. you can hear it on the bike and when some one drives it by. loud ticking. and it goes with the rev. higher the rev obv the higher the ticking. its getting annoying. anyone have a extra valve head cover laying around? ill take it off your hands for you lol

exrider272
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
ebay.... you can get them pretty cheap... ive seen them go for like 50 bucks.. igot mine off there but i paid 100 cuz i needed it in the next couple days..

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
and its a new cam

a new hotcam. they tick louder than stock;)

alex10
07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Mine has a loud tap like you describe but it goes away usually when the motor warms up, sometimes it sticks around. I'm thinking my rockers are bad also. It is louder than the exhaust sometimes.

07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
yeah hotcams or any cam make it tick pretty loud. its funny because a few people have come up to my brother and I when riding his quad and said man that hting ticks loud you need to adjust your valves, no its the hotcam they we put in it. Stock ticks and a bigger cam makes it tick even louder.

iamsickofitall
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by iamsickofitall
the higher than stock ramp rate of the new cam will emphasize the sound of the valves opening/closing faster than stock. any time the lift is increased, expect more noise.

let me repost...this is expected. the same is true for any 4 stroke motor, be it one cylinder, 4, 8, 12 etc.

rideracelivemx7
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
well no i expected a standard tick. but this will turn your head and say what the hell was that. i had a bad chain. where ihad messed up a link and used it for the whole 3 seconds before i got pissed off. it was such a loud tick. but now thats fixed and the ***** ticks. annoyingly. you have to have a helmet to enjoy the exhaust sound.

alex10
07-03-2008, 10:06 AM
You can hear mine rap with a helmet on or if your inside and it running that's how loud it is. But it only makes noise when cold when its warm sometimes you hear it but usually it is just the normal valve noise.