PDA

View Full Version : rear sprocket help

bama06300ex
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
How would I go about changing the rear sprocket on a '06? Does that big nut on the axle have to come off?

Springbok
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
No,just take the nuts holding the sprocket on out and take the sprocket off.Obviously,you have to take the wheel off! No big deal.

bama06300ex
07-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I took the nuts holding the sprocket on off, even took the front sprocket off to give me more slack in the chain. But I couldnt figure out how to get the sprocket around the thing it was bolted to. You dont have to do ANYTHING to the axle? Maybe i'm just looking at it wrong, but it didnt look possible to take the sprocket off without taking the axle out.

blholtz
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
On the Ltr you must remove the sprocket carrier from the axle to change out the rear sprocket.

If you use the stock style steel sprockets you will have to do this every time you change the rear sprocket.

Tag metals sprockets on the other hand will go over the sprocket carrierv without removing it from the axle.

bama06300ex
07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Actually I read on another forum where a guy was having the same problem, and another guy kept telling him that it'll come off just keep trying! And the guy said that that night, his girlfriend reached down and had the sprocket off in 5 seconds. Well after sleepin on it, then giving it a fresh look, we saw how the sprocket should be turned to come off. You dont have to take the sprocket carrier off. People kept telling me that but I didnt believe em, they were right!

blholtz
07-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Well out with the secret, this is the place to share, so share.

atvfreak400
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
take a die grinder and grind the inside of the sprocket a little bit in 2 of the openings it don't need much and remove the chain protection and the sprocket will come right off [ it don't take much just do a little at a time it will take a little time but far faster then the other way]

bama06300ex
07-14-2008, 08:33 AM
yeah that would probably help a lot. It was like a puzzle, and once you see it, you see its been right there under your nose the whole time. I took the front sprocket off just to give me lots of slack in the chain, and make sure to take the chain protector off, it impossible to do with it on. oh, and I also rolled the axle forward to loosen up on the chain even more, but that messes up the alignment and will also prevent you from being able to get it off. so leave the chain adjustment on the axle alone, or work it back and forth to find the right spot.