PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bolt question

justin1022
07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
i dont no what to do to get the swing arm bolt out that connects the swing arm to the egnine... i never tryed anything yet but i got that nut off and the other side wont turn can you tell me what to do to get it out safly?

Ruby Soho
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
tons of pb blaster

you may end up having to cut it out

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
sorry dude you might as well order a new bolt now. that's the cuirse of the 400. the freeze up in there. other than getting a nice ram rod and a 5lb sledge and trying that. if that don't work. you have to cut itout. and drill the rest. its a pain in the balls. therees a mod to do on the new bolt where you plug the ends 1 with a greese fitting and drill a few holes and fill the bi tch with greese to prevent that. but a good percent of the time people have to cut out the bolt. its a nice project and will take about a day if everything goes well. I had to do it. and got a nice rub mark from the cut off wheel on my case

AZ440ex
07-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
tons of pb blaster

you may end up having to cut it out

Unfortunately he is right. Make sure you have the weight off the swingarm also. Sometimes it can cause a bind.

Also when your done grease the bolt at least once a year and you should never have the problem again.( It only takes 15-20 minutes) Also keep the pressure washer away from this area.

hornetgod13
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
This is a common issue. I used PB Blaster, a large hammer, air hammer, and cursing. I spun and hammered the bolt back and forth until it finally came out. My 400EX was only 2 years old. Anything any older could be pure hell to remove. Once it was out, I replaced it with a new stainless steal bolt and heavy amounts of anti-sieze compound.

Ruby Soho
07-01-2008, 12:56 PM
hornet mine was a 1999 imagine that..:p

mine wouldnt budge, no turning or anything. i cut mine out, and then drilled the rest of it out that was left in the cases.

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
haha thats what i hhad to do. its an 01 and it was a solid rod of rust lol nice grind spot on my case though:eek2:

justin1022
07-02-2008, 01:27 AM
ok so basicly once i get the nut of i can beat it as hard as i want what i was really wanting to no was if it was threaded in or anything because the other side wont turn so bassicly you gize are telling me to pull out the ye old grinder and hammer down with it? lol

quad handler
07-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
This is a common issue. I used PB Blaster, a large hammer, air hammer, and cursing. I spun and hammered the bolt back and forth until it finally came out. My 400EX was only 2 years old. Anything any older could be pure hell to remove. Once it was out, I replaced it with a new stainless steal bolt and heavy amounts of anti-sieze compound.

oh no, mine is an 06 also, probably should pull her out . are there any needle bearings to watch out for, and or replace?

hornetgod13
07-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Once the nut is off the bolt should slide out (good luck). The bolt does not thread in. I highly recommend jacking the quad and disconnecting the rear sock and lightly support the swingarm to take the binding force off the pivot bolt. That might help a little.

Totally saturate the bolt with a penatrating oil like PB Blaster and let it sit over night. If you have a friend or family member that can turn the bolt as you hit the threaded end with a large hammer or air hammer that may help. If the bolt starts to come out but stops, spray it again and knock it back in. Keep working it back and forth and spraying it with oil and eventually it will come out.

The above mentioned method worked on a 06' and I felt lucky to get it out that easily. Any bolt left in any longer than that may require radical steps to remove. I read several times about people having to cut and/or drilling out the bolt.

Once removed. There are are needle bearings in the pivot point of the swingarm. Change them while you have them apart. A bearing kit costs between $35.00 to $55.00. Also the old bolt will be demolished. I recommend getting a $65.00 to $85.00 stainless steel bolt to avoid this pain in the future.

Ruby Soho
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
i put pivot works bearings in mine, and had another stock pivot bolt, that i wire wheeled and covered in grease, then i put a ton of grease on everything and put it in, its doing good in there haha

hornetgod13
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
If you decide to install another corrosion proned stock bolt atleast use liberal amounts anti sieze. Expect to remove it once every 12 to 16 months to ensure it doesn't freeze up again.

I went with an aftermarket stainless steel bolt, new pivot works bearings and lots of anti sieze compound. For me, I don't expect this to be a problem anymore.

Ruby Soho
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
i removed mine after 3 months, came out like butter. i just re greased it and put it back in after i cleaned it up good.

alex10
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
After I bought my quad I tapped the swing arm bolt right out with a small hammer and greased it up, no problems. My 1998 RM-250 was a different story a night with a 10 pound sledge and a ram rod got it out.

dee400ex
07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
anyone know where i can get a stainless bolt?

hornetgod13
07-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by dee400ex
anyone know where i can get a stainless bolt?

Several can be found on Ebay. Here's a link to one for $60.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-Honda-400EX-Stainless-Steel-Swingarm-PIVOT-BOLT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el124 7QQcategoryZ43972QQihZ009QQitemZ190219450289QQrdZ1 QQsspagenameZWD1V

Gibson
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
it took me and a buddy 30 minutes to get mine out. i was pulling on the head of it and he was hittin it with a 3lb hammer.

justin1022
07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
ok guys well i put the best lub i had and tiped the quad on the side and left it for a day and i went to undoo it and the impact still woudlnt spin it so then i got my buddy to put a rachet on the bolt head and i had a big long pipe and put it on the rachet and it just striped the bolt and its not because he was holding it wrong thats how seased it is... im out of ideas drill it out? i was going to cut it but i cant find no were to cut it and thats a long big drill you would need. so i think im just going to slap it together and trade it in on a 450 if i cant find another way to get that bolt out.. anyone got anything?

Muddinguy
07-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Mine came out by hitting it with my air hammer.. but i think it messed up the threads...

bens250ex
07-05-2008, 07:45 PM
sounds like what i just went through. it was total hell. ended up having to drill, cut, and torch it out. then i was left with the part stuck in the engine case. it was a nightmare a 16,000lb press wouldn't push the bolt out of the engine. finally got a very very very good drill bit to chop some of it away and then pressed it out after that = total hell............good luck my friend cause you will need it.

justin1022
07-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
sounds like what i just went through. it was total hell. ended up having to drill, cut, and torch it out. then i was left with the part stuck in the engine case. it was a nightmare a 16,000lb press wouldn't push the bolt out of the engine. finally got a very very very good drill bit to chop some of it away and then pressed it out after that = total hell............good luck my friend cause you will need it.

if yo unew what yo uwere in for and no your engine is messed would u tade iit in for a 450? because in my case i just found out my a-arms are a right off and i need to do breaks/bearings and i need to pull that stupid swing arm bolt and that will cost me a bunch to replace and then i have to tear apart my engine to find out whats going on in there... who nows how much that will cost if you were in my shoes would you just upgrade? because a new set of a-arms and al lthat is your downpayment for a new 450 so i dont no what to do..

bens250ex
07-05-2008, 11:54 PM
i have a ltr450 the 400 is my girlfriends bike. i only spent 50 on a swing arm kit but be carefull to not mess up your swing arm. i did but got a 450 one for 30 bucks

400ex28
07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
i recommend the stainless bolt... seized bolts are a pain in the ***!

quad2xtreme
07-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I just cut the swingarm bolt out of my 2006 450r. It isn't just the 400ex with this problem.

The seizing occurs between the bolt and the steel sleeve. It has nothing to do with the bearings.

My advice...

Take the rear plastic, the subframe, the frame skidplate, and the rear shock off. Jack the quad as high as it will go so the rear tires are just staying on the quad (for added stability). Get a sawzall with a blade for cutting metal that is about 8" long. You will need to make two cuts close to the engine bushing (be very careful and watch your cutting angle so you don't hit the engine). Once you get these two cuts made, lift the engine. Of course you will have to take the other engine mounting bolts out. Once you have it lifted out of the way enough, you can knock the threaded end of the pivot bolt right out. Now, carefully grind the head off the bolt using a Dremel. Now you can knock this bolt right through too with no problem.

BTW, keep the sawzall as far down to the bolt as possible. This is where the blade is the strongest and will cut the quickest.

Good Luck! It took me 90 minutes total to get mine out this way.