PDA

View Full Version : Choke Plate Removal

Gibson
07-01-2008, 07:12 AM
i've seen where some of the people on here have removed the choke plate on their carbs. wat is the benifit of this? does it improve fuel/air flow?

rideracelivemx7
07-01-2008, 07:52 AM
well ifyou cnfident in your jetting to where you don't need it. its a decent little modd. I did it a few weekd back and I got a little more pep. you notice more of a throttle response. depeneding on what your motor is.my quad would never start up with the choke so I was like hell why bnot. lets take iot out and see how it is. I like it and I won't put it back in. even for the winter

UNBROKEN
07-01-2008, 09:14 AM
yea it adds a little more snap just make sure u go with a 42 pilot and pump it befor u start it and it fires easliy

shok47
11-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I never have use for the choke, even in these cold weathers (western mass) If I remove the choke do i NEED to get the 42 jet for it to RUN right or is that just for starting in the cold weather? If its just for starting Im ganna take it off and see

dariusld
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by shok47
I never have use for the choke, even in these cold weathers (western mass) If I remove the choke do i NEED to get the 42 jet for it to RUN right or is that just for starting in the cold weather? If its just for starting Im ganna take it off and see

I removed my choke and still have the stock pilot jet. Starts fine.

shok47
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Off it goes!

UNBROKEN
11-26-2008, 05:53 PM
i noticed with mine it would take alittle longer to fire without the choke and if u had a low battery the choke was a blessing, but it a free mod so its worth it

rcatvrider
11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm going to try this mod out and my quad barely starts in cold weather, I have to choke it for like 5 mins so I'm going to bump up my pilot jet.

shok47
11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Could the starting performance be affected by the condition of the parts? and the type of maintenance it receives?

Like in my R/C hobby, the engines with poor looking pistons would have trouble starting/staying idled.

leasureryan
11-26-2008, 08:23 PM
hehe...of course that matters

for what it's worth...I don't care how cold it is outside....just keep my battery on a tender...punch the throttle a couple of times, and my quad fires right up everytime. Never had to use the choke. Now, with the 450R carb, it doesn't even have a choke, and the enrichment circuit lever is removed, so I can't really even use that even if I wanted to without riging something up...but there is no need for it...so why rig it?

rcatvrider
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I wish that was the case with me. My quad has very low hours and I cleaned out the carb and it still is hard to start. besides that it runs great. Only thing I can point to for the hard starting is the jetting.