PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem?

alex10
06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
MY clutch has some issues but I don't know for sure what is causing them. First of all it is about at the end of both cable adjustments. It has a really soft mushy feel. It has a lot of clutch drag. It does not slip. What could cause these problems? I'm thinking a worn actuator assembly and basket?

my88r
06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
replace the cable. sounds like its been melted and has stretched.

alex10
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Just bought a new one two weeks ago no change.

06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
alright i dont man to take over this thread but I have a question about the clutch cover. Well I took it off and now I dont know which way to turn the thing that the clutch cable hooks up to to engage the clutch. theres like a spring and then a shaft type thing with a weird slot or something. How does it go back on or which wya does the thing need to go to make the clutch work

Gibson
06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by alex10
MY clutch has some issues but I don't know for sure what is causing them. First of all it is about at the end of both cable adjustments. It has a really soft mushy feel. It has a lot of clutch drag. It does not slip. What could cause these problems? I'm thinking a worn actuator assembly and basket?

Is it hard for you to downshift or find neutral when its running? if so your clutch is just wore out, thats the way mine was. but i dont know about the mushy feel, it could be that the springs need to be replaced

Gibson
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
alright i dont man to take over this thread but I have a question about the clutch cover. Well I took it off and now I dont know which way to turn the thing that the clutch cable hooks up to to engage the clutch. theres like a spring and then a shaft type thing with a weird slot or something. How does it go back on or which wya does the thing need to go to make the clutch work

well i just took mine off to check the clutch, it should just go right back on. as far as the direction the arm should be turning it should be turning clock-wise to engage the clutch once you get it back on there the cable is easy to hook up

alex10
07-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Nuetral is impossible unless your are moving at the perfect speed. 1st and 2nd are very hard to shift. Do I need new plates and springs?

86 Quad R
07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
sounds like you may have a grooved basket and/or inner hub. have you recently put a new set of clutches and plates in it?

Gibson
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by alex10
Nuetral is impossible unless your are moving at the perfect speed. 1st and 2nd are very hard to shift. Do I need new plates and springs?

then all that is wrong with it is your clutch is wore slap out mine is the same way, just order you new plates and springs

alex10
07-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Do new clutch plates and springs solve the loose clutch cable?

alex10
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
bump

86 Quad R
07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
if my memory serves me right, the 400ex is a "pull" type clutch and not a "push". when the clutches become worn theoretically the slack should get tighter. putting in new clutches and all should have an adverse effect.

Gibson
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
if my memory serves me right, the 400ex is a "pull" type clutch and not a "push". when the clutches become worn theoretically the slack should get tighter. putting in new clutches and all should have an adverse effect.

the 400 is a "pull" type clutch, but no matter what type of clutch it is, when the clutches become worn it will have slack because there is not as much clutch material as there was when the clutches were new.

86 Quad R
07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
oddly................ i'm basing my post on a 400ex that i worked on a couple months ago where i replaced the cable, inner hub and complete clutch with a "dirt digger" kit(where the disc's and plates are thicker than OEM) and afterwards, i couldnt take up enough slack. i ended up using an extra long adjuster at the perch. this is just the opposite of what you say. :confused:

alex10
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Do I need a need a new actuator then because I have no adjustment left?

alex10
07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
If I replace part number 10 in the fiche will it help the clutch slack problem?
https://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-2000-clutch/o/m2657sch94350

Gibson
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
well i just installed a kevlar ebc kit today in mine and they were twice as thick as the stockers. i had to run my clutch adjustment at the engine all the way forward, but i didn't need a longer adjuster on the clutch perch

alex10
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know if replacing the actuator pin will take the extra slack out of the clutch cable, or what will when I put a new clutch plate and spring kit in?

86 Quad R
07-03-2008, 12:20 AM
take and inspect the socket on the actuator arm as well as the knob on the pull button for signs of wear. it would help things a great deal when replaced.

alex10
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Ok when I replace the clutch I'll inspect the parts. I'm ordering the clutch lifter because it probably is worn causing the cable to not be able to adjust enough.