PDA

View Full Version : Damaged camshaft race

Rickyrebar
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I had to pull my cam shaft out the other day in my 400EX, to get down to some stripped out head bolt holes. After everything was apart I noticed a small "ding" in the camshaft... craddle (not sure the exact name for the part of the head), it is where one of the roller bearings for the cam shaft sits). I this going to cause me any problems? Also, while I have this apart, other than a new head gasket, new head bolts, is there any thing else I should do to it?
Speaking of stripped out head bolts, reading some of the posts I see this is a common problem. I have never put a wrench on mine, just found it loose one day after riding, upon further inspection I found that both of the longer bolt holes were stripped. I am going to helicoil the thing to repair it. I am a little skeptical of these longer bolts, when they are torqued they seem to want to twist causing them to possibly be over torqued. Any suggestions?

drew416ex
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I bought a kit from stainlesscycle.com that came with all new stainless bolts. They dont twist as bad and you dont have to worry about them breaking like the stock ones.